News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Equipment vs. Powers

Started by mratomek, February 07, 2006, 02:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mratomek

Just wanted to get some feedback on a concept for a game.

The game allows you to build your own powers--essentially what you want your character to be able to do.

Depending on the variables and elements used, a base power could be individualized to fit your character concept--but, there aren't necessarily specific pieces of equipment that you purchase. For example, if you character had a flame thrower, he would create a:

12 Fire Bm, +Ag (Eq): Blast, Short Range

The above power describes a power-level 12 Fire power that can be used as a Beam (ranged attack), stacks with a character's Agility for the attack roll, is a piece of Equipment and has a Blast (area of effect) capability and is limited to short range attacks.

12 Fire Bm, +Ag (Su): Spell, Manipulation, Shape

The same power with a few changes creates a supernatural spell power that allows a character to create and manipulate fire as if it were a telekinetic arm (Manipulation), including the ability to make it appear as an animal or object (Shape). 

The big differences between building a custom power or purchasing predefined is flexiblity. You can do just about anthing; however, it does take time and a certain level of knowledge of the rules.

I tried to reduce the learning curve of the rules by creating a power notation that would allow anyone to read and understand what the power was and how it was used.

Just looking for suggestions and criticisms.

Would you rather have predefined equipment and power lists, or does the ability to build powers appeal to your inner genius.

Thanks.
MrAtomek

Once upon a time ... the Earth needed to be saved ... on a regular basis.

Super Force Seven
Tactical RPG / Miniatures Wargame

www.superforceseven.com

Andrew Morris

What design goal are you attempting to support with equipment and powers in your game? Opinions aren't going to be very constructive, so let us know what the intended function of equipment and powers will be, and we might be able to give you some useful answers.
Download: Unistat

dindenver

Hi!
  I think these sort of roll-your-own systems only really work for supers games. But for genre games, it detracts from flavor of the setting.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Ron Edwards

Hello,

When discussing this sort of game design, the single meaningful reference is Champions. You might look at its overarching system (Hero System) or similar designs like GURPS or the many imitators of both games, but really - Champions. The current "small" version called Sidekick is an excellent investment. Once you read and understand that, then you have the basic model for how this kind of game design flies. There are literally hundreds of existing examples.

Now for some moderator talk ...

The problem with this thread is that you are merely asking, "Gee, what do you think?" That's not a good basis for a discussion, which is why your next step, before any of us can offer anything useful, is to answer Andrew's question. Why are the system features you're describing a good idea for your game in particular?

Dave, your posting is sometimes very superficial, as if you're posting as a means of hanging out. I suggest not posting here in Indie Design for a while, and posting in Actual Play instead. It will make a big difference.

Best,
Ron

mratomek

The purpose of the game is to be a hybrid RPG/wargame. That is, a lot of people, including myself find it nearly impossible to find several hours to game, let alone trying to schedule several members of a group at the same time.

The game I am working on allows a player to spend all the time he wants developing characters and scenarios at home. Then if you want to play, you only need one other person to play against--although the game scales well for groups of people.

The idea being, with a common framework, we can play head to head competatively and enjoy the game.

The game is not a kill-the-opponent-to-win type game, but includes plenty of subtitles and skills. For example, you might create a small lair and spend some of your points to fill it with treasure, traps, locks, secret passages and magic-- as well as your monsters.

Your opponent would supply a group of adventures who must find the Wand of Naranth or whatever, working their way through the dungeon, disarming locks, traps, etc.--and defeating the monsters.

The purpose of the compressed notation is simply to allow anyone who only basically understands the game to pick up a character stat card and play.

But, to dindenver's point, this game is a hybrid, not a full blown RPG. It does allow you to build and create, but the games are meant to be more of a short story, not a novel. And rather than trying to list every weapon, tool, vehicle, monster, etc., I decided to go the route of effects. Select an effect that represents what the weapon, tool or vehicle can do.

A rifle, bow, machine gun, rocket launcher, pistol, or laser blaster are all Missile type weapons, though they will have different levels of effectiveness and various capabilities that differentiate each one. But basically, it would be a Missile power.

MrAtomek

Once upon a time ... the Earth needed to be saved ... on a regular basis.

Super Force Seven
Tactical RPG / Miniatures Wargame

www.superforceseven.com