News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Nine Worlds Skype game audio downloads

Started by Matt Snyder, March 12, 2006, 11:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Snyder

If you haven't heard, I've been recording an online game of Nine Worlds, involving me, Thomas Robertson, Fred Wolke and Ben Lehman. Download the sessions:

Session 1

Session 2
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Nicolas Crost

I just wanted to tell you, that I absolutely loved the audio files you put up here! I bought Nine Worlds a while back and the audio transcript really made me want to play the game right NOW!

Btw: how did you "tape" the audio stream from Skype?

Matt Snyder

Hello, Nicolas. I'm EXTREMELY happy to hear that people enjoy these recordings.

As for how I recorded them, it's a tricky process, actually! It involves a couple pieces of fairly inexpensive software and some much-appreciated patience from my fellow players. To date, I don't know of any reliable, simple method for recording on Skype. I suspect it will become simpler as time wears on.

As for how I do it now, I use Audacity to record and edit the files. I use a piece of software called "VAC" (Virtual Audio Cable) that acts as a kind of "pretend" switchboard for audio feeds to record input and output (believe me, that makes me sound like I understand it better than I actually do!).

Down the road, I should post a tutorial with screenshots. But, for now, I'm more interested in finding time to edit the remainin audio I've already got recorded. There are five sessions total so far, and we're still playing! In fact, we're up this Wednesday again after a two-week break.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

Nicolas Crost

Quote from: Matt Snyder on March 20, 2006, 03:06:03 PM
But, for now, I'm more interested in finding time to edit the remainin audio I've already got recorded. There are five sessions total so far, and we're still playing! In fact, we're up this Wednesday again after a two-week break.
I would be delighted to get to hear those as well. I think everybody should do that with their games. It makes it much easier to get a sense of the actual dynamics of the game in progress. And I really liked the rules questions and the commentary concerning those questions. This is an accessible way to learn about the "rougher" parts of the game.

Thanks again, I enjoyed it very much and I am looking forward to hearing the following sessions!

hive_mind

I'm really really really looking forward to the next session.  I hope you get some time to get it properly edited sometme soon.  I know that there are several folks here, as well at RPG.NET, who are really digging the play so far.  I think it's great pub for a game that seems to have not gotten the press it deserves.  If that's not incentive enough, I know it's been responsible for at least 2 sales (me and a buddy).  Just thought I'd let you know that people ARE paying attention.
Keith

hive_mind

Keith

Matt Snyder

Yes, some. I've got about a third of the second session edited. I plan on releasing all files for the second session at once. Look for it in about a week or so.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

hive_mind

Excellent news.  Thanks for the update.
Keith

hive_mind

Keith

Matt Snyder

Alas, it has, and I got swamped by organizing Forge Midwest. I haven't forgotten about it, I'm just a damn liar and procrastinator with a full schedule!
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

hive_mind

Hehe.  No worries.  Just keeping you honest is all.  Take your time and get them up when you can.
Keith

Matt Snyder

Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra

ivan23

I was interested in Nine Worlds before; now I really, really want to play. The audio sessions sold me because:

1) They're remarkably cohesive and straightforward - very little of the drift and cross-talk I've seen happen in other session recordings. I suspect that playing via Skype may help this, as you're not actually sitting around a living room or table face-to-face with your friends, but still, I was impressed. No long jokes or conversational detours, just straight explanations of how to play followed up immediately by action. Kept my interest throughout.

2) I think I understand the basic rules, even though I've not seen the book. All the explanations given were very clear, and when you gave incorrect answers, you were quick to not only acknowledge the fact but go over the mistake and the correction. That kept everything crystalline in my mind, even though I was listening in traffic and unable to take notes.

Nice work. I'm looking forward to burning Session 2 onto the iPod and listening - hopefully tomorrow.

Matt Snyder

Ivan, I'm really glad you like the recordings and Nine Worlds. To be fair, however, know that I've edited down these recordings to sift the wheat from the chaff, so to speak. We sound a lot smarter and focused than we are. That said, I DO think the game is focused and we've stayed on task in our sessions pretty well.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

--Yogi Berra