News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Further game aids

Started by Sindyr, April 08, 2006, 09:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sindyr

Now that I am about to run my first Capes game, I am realizing that I could (or could have) use the following:

• An exhaustive list of everything you can use Story Tokens for.
  • A list of all potential props and aids for running a game
  • A "game screen" with all the most important and most used rules listed.
...to start with anyways.

Here's what I am bringing to my first game:

Click and Lock's cut out (from the CnL pdf)
10 red and 10 blue dice
tape
3x5 note cards
3x5 post-its (may be better since they stick in place)
Blue poker chips (story tokens)
Purple poker chips (debt)
7 different colored sharpee permanent markers.
6 Capes character sheet printouts with drives.
Pad of graph paper.
multiple tokens matching the colors of the sharpees (don't have these yet, will try to score some in a bit)

As to the exhaustive list of story token use:

• Make an extra Claim
  • Create an extra Conflict
  • Introduce an extra Character
  • Take an extra Action

Is there anything else?
-Sindyr

Glendower

You might need more dice.  I've had about 15 dice of both colors in play.  When you start splitting, it gets really important. 

Hi, my name is Jon.

Vaxalon

You'll need at least one more color of dice, perhaps two.  Remember that splitting can create third and fourth sides.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Larry L.

Inspiration tracking. (Or is that the graph paper?)

I have no idea why you would need graph paper over any other kind of paper.

I don't see why you need different color chips for Debt and Story Tokens.

Vaxalon

It's nice to have different color chips for debt and story tokens so that they don't get mixed up.  Yes, the debt tokens are on a character sheet, and the story tokens are not, but it's a good idea to be able to distinguish them otherwise, just because.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Adam Biltcliffe

We've sometimes used Othello pieces for debt and story tokens. You get the benefit of literally handing over your debt as story tokens when you win a conflict, but you can have them black side up for debt and white side up for story tokens to make the distinction more visually obvious.

Larry L.

Othello? Now that's pretty slick. I guess I mostly just thought it would be confusing to "switch out" one color chip for another, seeing as Story Tokens are MADE of Debt. Changes the conceptual flow of the game a tisch. So a flip-color chip? Perfect.

I thought it worked better to have different debt colors for each player. That takes some shopping if you have more than three, though.