News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Fuck poetry ...

Started by Matt Snyder, April 05, 2006, 03:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GreatWolf

Quote from: Matt Snyder on April 05, 2006, 05:45:30 PM
To all you hippie haters:  When I say you are ANY of the people on the lists above, it's as close as you'll get to worship at my house. Equating Jimi Hendrix with "dirty hippies" is sorta like going over to GreatWolf's house and telling him Jesus was a jerk.

My father is a pastor and he loves Hendrix.
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Bryan Hansel

No one Sid Viscous?

Shameless self promotion:  Bryan Hansel = Jay Farrar

Matt Snyder

Quote from: GreatWolf on April 06, 2006, 03:16:17 PM

My father is a pastor and he loves Hendrix.

Far out. Sounds exactly like my brother-in-law, who is and does the same.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Thor Olavsrud

Quote from: Mike Holmes on April 06, 2006, 02:35:37 PM
Thor,

Though not a fan, I accept your apparent analysis that Universalis = Husker Du.

But goddamit, I wanted to be Ozzy: has played forever, and always will, rambles on a lot, sometimes incoherently, oblivious to what others think about him, constanly makes a fool out of himself, but people still listen to him for some reason...

There are people out there that aren't fans of Husker Du? My brain doesn't accept it, so I'll just repress that idea instead.

Anyway, the list I came up with is not just based on their (awesome) music, but also their vocal evangelization of the DIY ethos, and their roles in creating the indie labels of the late 1970s and 1980s. These are people who had, and in some cases continue to have, an incredibly important role in beginning to change the way musicians distribute and get compensated for their work.

Mike Holmes

Er, yah, that's what I was trying to say. It makes sense. I just wish I liked the music more. :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Thor Olavsrud

Alex F

Thor, do you like the more recent solo-ey stuff? I say him play last year and it was un-fnkcinkg believably good. Body of Song and Last Dog and Pony Show have some great songs. That said, I'm more of a Sugar fan than Husker Du fan*, and the stuff is more toward that direction.

*Heresy? Hell, sue me. the 'Du were a bit before my time, and Sugar were the first band I saw live, way back when. No contest.

Thor Olavsrud

I haven't actually heard any of it. I've been meaning to check it out for ages. I sort of drifted into jazz and fusion in the 90s. Adding to list...

What do you think of Hart's solo stuff?

Iskander

Thor Olavsrud = Simon Cowell.
Winning gives birth to hostility.
Losing, one lies down in pain.
The calmed lie down with ease,
having set winning & losing aside.

- Samyutta Nikaya III, 14

Alex F

Thor: Haven't heard any. Worth a listen? Oh, if you PM me I can throw you a few tracks of Mould's to see what you think of them.
Iskander: For a while there I confused Cowell with Callow. Who, despite his coolness, is not the first person I associate with rockstardom...

Clinton R. Nixon

Snyder!

"Jerry Lee Lewis?" No way.

Thor - H.R. - nice, although not me. Still, nice.

If I've got to pick, I'll go with Mark Mothersbaugh.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

talysman

Corollaries:
IF Vincent = Dylan AND Em = Baez, THEN Meg = Suze Rotolo?
IF Gygax = Bill Haley (and, yeah, Arneson is the comets then - undercredited for the real work), THEN Charles S. Roberts = Les Paul (Rickenbacker is HG Wells)
IF Paul = Zappa, THEN Knipe = Adrian Belew, AND Matt Gwinn = Steve Vai
IF Wicked Dead = Beatles, THEN Annie = George Harrison?
IF Wilson = Crosby AND Snyder = Young, THEN Tim Kelinert = Stills, AND Jonathan Walton = Nash
IF Universalis = Husker Du, THEN FATE = REM
If you're going to do it that way, then Ron isn't Ian Anderson (a link I don't understand...) He's Lou Reed, and Sorcerer is Velvet Underground.

John Laviolette
(aka Talysman the Ur-Beatle)
rpg projects: http://www.globalsurrealism.com/rpg

Emily Care

Corollaries:
IF Vincent = Dylan AND Em = Baez, THEN Meg = Suze Rotolo?

I was gonna say Meg was Janis Joplin or Joanie Mitchell, but Suze fuckin rocks.
Koti ei ole koti ilman saunaa.

Black & Green Games

Mike Holmes

Well, and see, it fits, because Meg isn't published, so she can't be a musician per the analogy...

OK, I've officially taken this too far.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Larry L.

I now know more about Clinton than I once did. Pretty cool.

I think John may be on to something.