News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

(art) taste in cover questions?

Started by sean2099, July 08, 2006, 01:54:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sean2099

Quote from: Ron Edwards on July 27, 2006, 08:25:01 AM

...If you are bound and determined to get that game of yours into stores so broadly that the percentage of offendable retailers matters, then that is OK - we can discuss which covers and contents have incurred their righteous, snotty wrath in the past.

However, if you are interested in sales and use by actual people, as the first priority, then we can discuss comparable products in more productive arenas of publishing, and the conclusion is certain to be rather different.

Best, Ron

I am interested in the second paragraph far more than the first.  I would much rather sell 1000 copies in one location (a website for instance) than 500 copies (one each in 500 FLGS locations.)  Right now, I have a system with an implied setting.  That is, the system is made for "god games" but it is not detailed in setting like Nobilis or Amber.  Maybe it would be best to change "the cover" into a metaphor for wanting grabbing the attention and wallets of people.

Now, with that done, what would be the best way to sell/publish such a product?  While I would desire a playtest, or at least a readthrough of the latest edit of Divinity, I want to assume, for the sake of the discussion, that the book is clear, concise, well written, no glaring flaws in game, etc.  And in respect to previous posts, what role does the cover play in the overall strategy of grabbing attention and ultimately, sales?

Sean
http://www.agesgaming.bravehost.com

agesgaming_divinity subscribe@yahoogroups.com

email to join AGES Gaming Yahoo Group
it's my lil' website.