News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Carrying Over Resources Over the Course of Game Sessions

Started by LemmingLord, July 13, 2006, 03:06:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaxalon

Capes may be one of the few games for which that style of play is well supported.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

TonyLB

It's permitted by Capes, in the same way that court intrigue is permitted by D&D.  The game (unlike many others) does not actively prevent you from playing it in that way.

When you see a game that supports that style ... for which that style works better than a single group around a table once a week ... I think it will be pretty mind-opening.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Vaxalon

I disagree, Tony.  The fact that the resources are so portable, that the characters are so separable, that (aside from inspirations and debt) history is only as important as the players make it... that's highly supportive of chaotic play.  Those are all tools that chaotic play would use.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker

Vaxalon

I forgot to mention... a game doesn't have to be BEST played in a particular mode in order to support that mode.

Heroquest is best played with character sheets around a table.  Playing via IRC with wikis is well supported, however, because of the low amount of dice-rolling and the loose scene framing.  For this reason, Heroquest supports IRC play.  It may not support it better than it supports other modes but it still supports it.
                                     --Vincent Baker

Sindyr

-Sindyr

TonyLB

Yeah, fair enough.  I've just got a lot of mechanics that actively support chaotic play, and address it deliberately, floating around in my head ... so by comparison Capes looks sorta haphazard in its support.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum