News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

SIS Control Problem: The Followup

Started by LemmingLord, July 13, 2006, 03:32:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LemmingLord

Moderation:  This topic was originally a response to this thread, which it dragged untimely from its peaceful rest.  I've split it off because, y'know, necromancy is a violation of the laws of God and man.  But great fun at parties!

Quote from: Valamir on April 22, 2005, 10:05:24 AMTo continue with the hypothetical.  Lets say I'm playing Valance.  What I want as a player is to have Valance get that ray gun from Dr Otto so I can impress Starflare.  That's my goal.  I want that ray gun.  I want that ray gun so I can impress Starfire.  That's what I the player wants.

BUT I already have a goal "Impress Starflare" that I really want to win (maybe I've staked debt on it too).  So I have a limited number of resources to use to win that Conflict.  I can't afford to enter into a "Get Ray Gun from Fortress" Conflict as well.  I don't have the resources to accomplish both.

I would think I would be a little frustrated if this happened to me, but then I am a little frustrated when I am playing chess and someone does something I didn't think of...  It seems to me that the move that conflict that should have been made was "Impress Starflaire by getting the raygun"  or perhaps choosing an event "Someone impresses Starflaire by getting the raygun."

Aren't those legal? 

Of course this brings up another question; how many implications can your conflict have?  Can I create the goal, "Nukeman executes blinding maneuvers that impress the empress which in turn leads to her signing the treating and creating world peace that makes Nukeman a hero in the eyes of men and women for generations to come" ?

Vaxalon

You can create the goal "Nukeman impresses the Empress" and then have all the rest of it follow on when you win.
"In our game the other night, Joshua's character came in as an improvised thing, but he was crap so he only contributed a d4!"
                                     --Vincent Baker