News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Looking for the right printer, need some help

Started by Andrew Morris, August 18, 2006, 03:40:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Morris

Does anyone know of a POD or small run printer that can handle all of the following, or at least the first two?

1. Small trim size (4.25 in. by 5.5 in. or smaller)
2. Two color cover with special inks (black plus metallic)
3. Hardcover printing (at the small size or larger)

Download: Unistat

Valamir

Who did the printing for Code of Unaris?  That's pretty close...

Andrew Morris

I'd heard that Lightning Source did CoU, but they don't (as far as I can tell) offer that size format. For the record, CoU is just about the right size, but I'd prefer something just a hair not as wide.

Ron Edwards

Hi Andrew,

Given the unusual specifications you've described, you're not going to get anywhere with "what I heard" nor with what's posted at a given company's website. What you need is voice contact with a representative.

I suggest making a list of phone numbers from the internet sites, and sitting down to two hours merely of calling the companies. You call, ask for a representative who can quote bids for you, and then describe your book and possible print run sizes.

The ones who say "we don't do that," cross off, and keep going. The ones who say they can, make sure they can do it and that they're not outsourcing. Keep going on down through your list.

Once you know which companies can do it, then you can wait on their bids (it often takes a day for them to do that) and compare. There are many variables to consider when choosing a given printer, so we can talk about it then. Right now, it's just a matter of finding out who can, and there is no way that any company will bother to put such odd specs up on a website. You will have to find out by voice contact. You, a list of company names and numbers, and a phone.

Best, Ron

Andrew Morris

Fair enough, Ron. I was hoping someone already had experiece with this and could point me to a specific source. Barring that, I'll end up going the route you suggested.

So, if anyone does know of a particular printer that fulfills these requirements, please post it here.

andrew_kenrick

Dead of Night was 4.25x5 and I had a fair amount of trouble finding someone who could handle it. Avalon Innovations did very well, although I suspect I paid a premium for it.

As for the rest of your specifications, sorry, can't help you there.
Andrew Kenrick
www.steampowerpublishing.com
Dead of Night - a pocket sized game of b-movie and slasher horror

Andrew Morris

Thanks, Andrew. To clarify, though, I'm only interested in specific printers who can fulfill at least the first two requirements.

Jake Richmond

Try Lance Williams at Avalon Innovations (www.avalonteam.com).

joepub

Just a second voice saying:

Lance at Avalon Innovations is extremely easy to work with, and he should be able to set up your print job.

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

I've recently found this list useful: Ind-e-books POD list compiled by GLB e-books. If all else fails, start from the top and do some website investigation and some calling.

Best, Ron

AvalonPOD

Hi Andrew,

We can do all of the items you asked about.

But there could be a catch with #2 (Two color cover with special inks (black plus metallic). 

With Print On Demand, all companies are using some sort of digital machine to produce the end product.  Pretty much any color digital machine with a RIP and do several different types of color matching to produce a match to a specific PMS color.  You can basically match a color one of two ways, either using the RIP software to match adjustments or you have a device that takes a mesurement from a color sample to match it.   So, a digital printer can get pretty close to a PMS color.  If a POD does offer this service, they normally charge extra for it.  But even then, be a warned, color variance is pretty common on a digital run. (Even on you high end machines like a Indigo or I-Gen).  Of course, a good press operator will account for this and watch the prints and make the required adjustments.

Getting a true metallic will be difficult on a digital run too.  A digital machine can make something looks as metallic as it looks on your screen.  But to get a true metallic gleem and shine, you'd need to go with a specialty ink or a hot foil stamp.  We do have a thermographic company that we deal with, that is also willing to do fairly small runs that we could talk to for foil stamping. All depends on how much coverage you are looking for. (I have simplified this topic a little here, there are several different things to be looked at).  The other option is to have a small run of covers printed offset, 500 or 1000 2/0 covers should not be too over priced.

I guess what I really should say is that we can get what you want or help you find that next best alternative. 

Please feel free to give me a call.

Thanks,

Lance Williams
Avalon Innovations
740-695-3530

I think I should also comment on Andrew's comment (from SteamPowered) about his premium price.   With our old B&W machine, we did a cost analysis for the smaller books and made the decision to charge the same price.  The reason way was because, we saved money on paper and impressions, but spent a lot more time in manual labor cutting the pages down, so it basicly evened out.  We did just get a new B&W machine that can handle up at a 13 x 19 sheet, so we will need to go back and look at the pricing again.  The bigger sheet means we can get more than just 2 pages up on the smaller books.

Lance Williams
Avalon Innovations
www.Avalonteam.com

Joshua A.C. Newman

RPI was very flexible with my requests for odd cover stock, laminates, strange sizes, and the like. Give them a call and talk with Larry McGoff.

NB: Some other folks have been having a hard time with them lately since Alphagraphics bought the company. I haven't dealt with them since the buyout so I can't share any personal experience about their operations since August (though I'll have to soon).
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

Ron Edwards

Hey guys,

This thread seems to limp along in a kind of every-few-weeks way, just clearing the deadline for informal closure with each one. I'm not seeing any reason to extend its life for another three weeks, at this point. I think Andrew got the basic information he needed and we can now call this thread closed.

Best, Ron