News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

IndieAid at GenCon

Started by JSDiamond, June 11, 2001, 05:57:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JSDiamond

Some of us are going, some of us are not going, and some of us are going to be attending as exhibitors.  It's the exhibitors I'm addressing herein.

Provided I produce some serious high quality color flyers (half-size), will you put them on your table?

Thank you for helping,
Jeff Diamond

JSDiamond

Dav

Yes.  We will put out anything any indie publisher gives us.  (as long as they mention the Forge :wink:)

Dav

Ron Edwards

Yeah baby. Herein be it known, that the Adept Press table is soliciting flyers from any and all folks who want people to (a) check out their website, (b) bug the local retailer, or (c) otherwise get their game. Send'em to me and I'll have'em at the con. Creator-owned only.

I'm also going to have an "indie awareness flyer" to pass out as well. Any notions on what should be in it are welcome.

Best,
Ron

JSDiamond

Oh yes, gentlemen I shall take you up on your offers!

J
JSDiamond

unodiablo

We should do a nice 11 x 17 folded 'newsletter', with small ads, web addresses, etc. to give away.

I'll coordinate, if people are interested.

I'm also going to have a 'fanzine' version of Dead Meat v2.666 to sell at the table as well. I think some others should do the same with their freebie internet games! Jared? Moose? Ron, you should do the same with Elfs!

Sean
http://www.geocities.com/unodiablobrew/
Home of 2 Page Action Movie RPG & the freeware version of Dead Meat: Ultima Carneficina Dello Zombi!

Ferry Bazelmans

Hell yes!

Only problem is, us shifty foreign types are of course in no position to send you preprinted flyers or anything.

Sean, what did you have in mind exactly for the internet freebie fanzine thingy?

Crayne
http://www.crayne.nl" target="_blank">The BlackLight Bar
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

unodiablo

How about 2.5" square ads, that way I can fit 12 / page on the back cover, and another 12 on the inside. I'll also write some mini-plugs for sites/games/The Forge/etc.

Anyone else have input?
http://www.geocities.com/unodiablobrew/
Home of 2 Page Action Movie RPG & the freeware version of Dead Meat: Ultima Carneficina Dello Zombi!

Ron Edwards

Hold on there, spunkies. I am not allowed to sell anything at the booth except Sorcerer. Agreeing to do this earned me a $350 entrepeneurial discount for the booth, and I'm not risking that.

Therefore, I am happy to distribute pamphlets, flyers, and any promo material, and to hype them verbally. But selling, no. Even poor Elfs may only be promoted, not sold. I suggest that games which are distributed free on-line should also be available free at the booth. I'm happy with that.

Okay, let's break it down into your options.

1) You have games available on-line for free, but you won't be at GenCon and you have trouble getting stuff to me by mail for international reasons. I will include your URL and a description of the game in the indie-flyer. I'll even print out about a dozen copies of the game for free distribution. (Example: Soap)

2) You are an indie business guy with a game you sell with your own publishing imprint, and you won't be at GenCon. I will include your URL and a description of the game in the indie-flyer, and you really ought to send me a promotional flyer all about the game. However, your game cannot be sold from the Adept Press booth. (Example: Orbit)

3) You are have games available on-line for free and you may or may not be at GenCon, and you have full mailing abilities to me. I will include your URL and game description(s) in the indie-flyer. You may send me (or bring to GenCon) a ton of games for free distribution right at the Adept Press booth. (Examples: InSpectres, Dead Meat)

4) You sell your game on-line and you will be at GenCon, although not at a booth of your own. I will include your URL and game description(s) in the indie-flyer. You MAY bring stuff to sell NEAR the Adept Press booth. However, you'll have to step down to one end of the booth to do it, or maybe even over the table into the aisle. (Example: Schism)

If anyone matches the descriptions given above, they are free to employ the corresponding options as long as they let me know.  

Best,
Ron

Dav

Anyone wanting to sell something without permission (such as Ron's predicament), I will gladly have a small area where we will sell anything to anyone at the Apophis booth.  That way, if someone wants to buy something but can't through Adept Press (or whatever) can do so under the Apophis name (I'm pretty sure this is legal, I'll check).

I think you must be registered as an exhibitor to sell at all.  But anyway, I'm sure we can get all of you hired for the weekend with Apophis so you can go nutz with merchandise.

Dav

Ferry Bazelmans

Ron wrote:

>1) You have games available on-line for free, but you >won't be at GenCon and you have trouble getting stuff to >me by mail for international reasons. I will include your >URL and a description of the game in the indie-flyer. I'll >even print out about a dozen copies of the game for free >distribution. (Example: Soap)

I can easily make a PDF of Soap and Storyboard and get them to you for free distribution. You could print it out several times (like you proposed) and I would be a very happy man.

I'll start on it immediately (I'll combine Storyboard and Soap into 1 PDF file for the sake of simplicity.

Crayne
http://www.crayne.nl" target="_blank">The BlackLight Bar
The BlackLight Bar, home of Soap: the game of soap opera mayhem.
Now available as a $2.95 Adobe PDF (Paypal only)

Jared A. Sorensen

Re: GENCON

I pre-registered back in January...but Ron was kind enough to snag me an exhibitor badge for the Adept-Press booth (hurray!) so it looks like I will have an extra badge available...

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Misguided Games

Does anyone have booths at Origins that is extending the same offer?  I am going to have a bunch of new flyers as of Tuesday.  I plan to put some by registration, but wouldn't mind spreading them out some.  I've also got buttons with the characters from our comic strip, We're Misguided.

Can't believe how much life there is on the forums here.
This is awesome.

Dav

Lewis;

Hey there!  We are skipping Origins this year, mainly due to the fact that our new stuff won't be out until GenCon.

But at GC, you can have all the hookups we can dish to you!

Dav

Jason L Blair

Key 20 will be at both Origins and GenCon and will be glad to set up an indie corner to promote creator-owned games.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Misguided Games

Jason, I owe you one.
And a fellow Ohioan too.  Thank you.
I can't wait to get the flyers on Tuesday.  The cromalin I saw on Wednesday was stunning.