News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[LoL] Chargen idea

Started by dindenver, September 01, 2006, 10:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dindenver

Hi!
  I'm pretty happy with the character generation rules of LoL, but there is one part that always sort of nagged at the back of my mind:
GM approval
  I wanted there to be some sort of safety mechanism so that we didn't have over-the-top, comedy characters, with serious, tear-jerker, dramatic characters.
  I think I came up with a better solution:
Group approval
  Each character has to be approved by all the members of the group before they can enter play.
  It could prove to be a tough hurdle for disfunctional groups, but it might end up being a way for the group to work out issues of theme and style.
Dave M
Author of Legends of Lanasia RPG (Still in beta)
My blog
Free Demo

Anders Larsen

I think I came up with a better solution:
Group approval
  Each character has to be approved by all the members of the group before they can enter play.

I would recommend a variation on this.

Before anyone think about characters, the group decide on a common concept the characters should relate to. This could be something like: "Diplomats and their followers that are assigned to negotiate peace between country X and Y", "Children that live on the street in town X", "A travelling circus" etc..

After that each of the players can lay out what idea they have for a character that relates to this concept. When the group agree that the suggested characters will make an interesting and functional group, the players can go through the actual process of creating the characters.

This will also be a process of group approval, but I think it will be easier for everyone to agree.

- Anders