News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

My Next Game System

Started by TonyLB, September 14, 2006, 10:42:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TonyLB

In case there are folks here who are fans of me, to the extent that they think my next game will probably be cool too, I've just posted the first Playtest Report using a ruleset for Misery Bubblegum that actually ... y'know ... didn't explode into a million pieces and force me to start designing entirely over again from scratch.

As most game designers would (I suspect) immediately tell you, that's a momentous occasion in the history of a game's development:  comparable to Kittyhawk's place in the history of aviation.  It flew instead of crashing.  Weak and flawed as the system I played last night is, it finally points the correct direction.  It is to be strengthened and refined.  The emotionally hardest work is, finally, over.

If you go look at that playtest then you can have a fair idea of what's coming down the pike.  A week ago I couldn't have given you any such idea.

Whew.  That was a hard year's work for not much visible end result.  I'm glad to have that foundation laid.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum

Bret Gillan

Tony, I am really excited about this new system. What is it about? From what I understood originally it seemed to be a high school/teen drama game, but from reading the rules it looks a lot more "generic" than that in that it seems like it could be used for all sorts of stories.

TonyLB

It looks generic at the moment because none of the color has been bolted on yet.  But I assure you, the core system (particularly the way that it distributes your dice, and the emotional impact they create, into the hands of other players) creates the teenage angst dynamic.

So yeah, it's for high school, or a dysfunctional family, or any place where people are deeply wound up about what other people think of them.
Just published: Capes
New Project:  Misery Bubblegum