News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Can you think of any more ...

Started by mratomek, November 16, 2006, 08:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mratomek

I am working on tactical RPG / Minis Wargame. I don't want the game to just quickly boil down to combat nor do I want is it intended to be a lenghty, drawn-out RPG experience. The game use smaller/fast-playing Complications and the larger/long-playing Conflicts to tell a story. The conflicts are easy enough. That is where the slugfest begins.

The complications are a little trickier. I have broke them down into two categories: Gameplay Complicatins and Narrative Complications.

The Gameplay Complications are quick games, 5 or less Rounds, that are played out with models, terrain, maps, etc. And serve the purpose of setting up the next scene or larger Conflict. For example, the complication might be a 1-on-1 grudge match between a hero and villain. The winner moves on to the next scene, but the loser cannot be used in the rest of the game.

On the other hand, the narrative Complications are fun and simply comic-book situations that a player must try to successfully negotiate in order to gain an added advantage for the next scene. It might be performing a task at his day job. If he is successful, he can leave on time--if he fails, that character enters the game 2 Round laters then the rest of his team mates.

I have thought of some simple situations you might find in any comic books. I was wondering if you could think of any more:

Search for Clues / Investigating a Crime Scene
Interrogating a Captive / Questioning a Witness
Trailing a Mark / Hunting Prey
Decoding a Secret Code
Hack an Information System / Find Data
Breaking and Entering
Cover-Up / Conspiracy
Protecting Your Secret Identity
Discovering a Tail or Spy
Performing a Job Duty under Duress
Interview / Public Appearance
Recruiting

Family / Relationship Matters
Paying Bills / Home Repairs
Training Session / Power Development
Feeling Sick / Food Poisoning
Transportation Problems
MrAtomek

Once upon a time ... the Earth needed to be saved ... on a regular basis.

Super Force Seven
Tactical RPG / Miniatures Wargame

www.superforceseven.com

can you think of any situations or examples in prevous comic games where it had worked for them and why it had worked for them? if you figure this out i think that would be the best way for you to incorporate it into your work and brainstorming.

komradebob

I'm at a loss for other stuff right now, but I'm very interested in the rest of the game. Do you have mechanics or rough drafts up anywhere online?
Robert Earley-Clark

currently developing:The Village Game:Family storytelling with toys