News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

[GenCon 2007] The plan for this year - important

Started by Ron Edwards, January 07, 2007, 08:35:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blankshield

Another thing that I can suggest is that if you know someone who is going to Gencon that's a Dead of Night fan, ask them if they are willing to swing by Games on Demand, and offer to run it.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/

Joshua A.C. Newman

It's hard enough getting to know the games of the people who are there pulling for you in return. I suggest you send an emmissary. I'd be surprised if it wasn't worth it. Sure, they'll get to have all the fun, but you'll be able to split the earnings with someone and get a lot more books sold.
the glyphpress's games are Shock: Social Science Fiction and Under the Bed.

I design books like Dogs in the Vineyard and The Mountain Witch.

andrew_kenrick

Ok, thanks for that guys, that's helped clear things up. I will investigate the possibility of one of my UK compatriots can be persuaded to help me out.
Andrew Kenrick
www.steampowerpublishing.com
Dead of Night - a pocket sized game of b-movie and slasher horror

Travis Brown

I had a question on Hotel stuff. On GenCon's site it mentions that after you buy your badge or register your table, etc, you will get info on the hotel discount code for GenCon. When we sign up for forge space with you, and you register for our badges, will you provide us with the code they give you?

Ron Edwards

I have done this in the past and will do so again if timing permits, for the exhibitors who need it. In the past, nearly everyone ends up getting a hotel room via friends and family who aren't exhibitors. If you don't, then let me know.

Best, Ron

Travis Brown

Quote from: Ron Edwards on January 31, 2007, 09:02:48 PM
In the past, nearly everyone ends up getting a hotel room via friends and family who aren't exhibitors.

I'm sorry I'm confused. What does that mean exactly? Most people just pay the higher rates even though there is a discount with certain hotels for exhibitors?

Gregor Hutton

No, the family and friends are registered at the con as attendess and so get access to a booking code for the hotels that allows them to book nearby/discounted rooms.

Clyde L. Rhoer

Hi Travis,

Just to give an example. I'm hoping to have my first game ready by Gen Con. I'm going with five to eleven local gamers. One of them is getting the hotel rooms for everyone, including me. This leaves my options open. Last year I had no game and was going by myself and someone was looking for roommates so I ended up joining them, which worked out great.
Theory from the Closet , A Netcast/Podcast about RPG theory and design.
clyde.ws, Clyde's personal blog.

iago

This is one of those threads where I find myself nodding and agreeing with nearly everything that's been said.  Suffice it to say that beyond Evil Hat's own interests, we do have a "community interest" in making our products (and selves) deliver maximum value to the group as a whole.  I agree with Luke in particular that we may be able to offer something to the other booth participants this year, and that's definitely a component of the staying-put urge ("why can't we be a tentpole for the forge?").

So: awesome.  Thanks for exploring both sides of this with me; it's one of those decisions that I wanted to feel well-grounded in, and now I do.  (Though if folks have more to add to either side of the discussion, please don't take this as a signal that the thread's wholly done!)

iago

Quote from: Travis Brown on February 01, 2007, 02:00:15 PMI think you meant to post here: http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/index.php?topic=23178.0 right?

Yes, and I did, though I was hoping that an admin would silently excise the erroneous post rather than it turning into a point of discussion.  Please ignore.

Troy_Costisick

Heya,

What are the hours for the exhibitors and what time will we need to be there each day?  This may affect the place I choose to sleep at night.

Peace,

-Troy

Ron Edwards

Hi Troy,

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday: 10 AM through 6 PM
Sunday: 10 AM through 4 PM

As a general note to everyone, please check out the information at the GenCon site. A lot of what's being asked is not booth-specific, Forge-specific stuff, and I'd appreciate it if you got up to speed about that kind of thing through the site that exists for that purpose.

Best, Ron

Travis Brown

Actually I thought that you had posted something, Ron, about how the forge people needed to be there earlier for a morning meeting and after close up for another meeting each day even if not scheduled at the start or right up til the end of the day. I think that may be what Tony is talking about in part, do we come in earlier than the standard open time.

Blankshield

Yes.  Be there about a half hour before open, and expect to stay about a half hour after. 

If you are intending to get a coffee/donut/morning thing, give yourself another half hour at least; morning lineups are insane.

You're officially cut loose after some daily booth notes, then people clump into groups, go eat, and then go gaming, all within easy walking distance.

James
I write games. My games don't have much in common with each other, except that I wrote them.

http://www.blankshieldpress.com/