News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bid?

Started by Ian Freeman, June 26, 2001, 06:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Freeman

Am i being ignorant...

I have noticed in the main sorcerer rules references to the term Bid. What the heck i bid, i have not managed to find any talk of what it is.

Unless (correct me if i am wrong), is bid the process of making a demon bidden to do something: ie. yelling at them for will vs. will order?
Ian Freeman
"Dr. Joyce looks profoundly unconvinced (I don't blame him really, this is all a pack of lies)"  -- Iain Banks, The Bridge

jburneko

I noticed this as well.  I eventually came to the conclusion that those few references are TYPOS and should in fact be BIND, not BID.

But I'm sure Ron will give you an official answer.

Jesse

Ian Freeman

Nope. I don't think so. Here is a direct quote from the book:

"and whoever has to be Bid, Punished, Bound, or otherwise..." (page 8)

so, i don't think Bid and Bind are the same.

[ This Message was edited by: Ian Freeman on 2001-06-26 19:04 ]
Ian Freeman
"Dr. Joyce looks profoundly unconvinced (I don't blame him really, this is all a pack of lies)"  -- Iain Banks, The Bridge

jburneko

On 2001-06-26 19:03, Ian Freeman wrote:
Nope. I don't think so. Here is a direct quote from the book:

"and whoever has to be Bid, Punished, Bound, or otherwise..." (page :cool:

Hmmm... I didn't notice that one.  Then I'll go with my second guess.  My second guess was that Bid was an actual mechanic from an earlier version of the game that latter got removed but one or two references are still hanging around.

But as I said this is only a guess.  Where's Ron when you need him? :smile:

Jesse

Ron Edwards

God am I going to be happy when the friggin' book comes out.

My apologies, guys. This is the LAST time I'll ever have to say this.

"Bid" was originally one of the rituals, defined as simply ordering a demon to do something. I removed it because it didn't fit with the others structurally - i.e., all Bids were snap-shots and thus reduced to one die, which is stupid.

Although its ritual status is gone, the ACT remains. That is, in Sorcerer, any sorcerer may order any demon to do something. It's straight-up Will vs. Will, modified by any Binding strength if applicable.

So just scrub a reference to Bid if the text involves a ritual, or change it to "order" or "bid" in lower-case if it involves an action.

Best,
Ron

Clay

Bid or something similar is referenced in Sorcerer & Sword.  The Demon needs to be offered something to sweeten the pot for a task of limited duration and/or complexity.  I don't know exactly where this is in the rules (and maybe its a product of my fevered imagination), but I do know that we've used something akin to it in my group.

Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management

Ron Edwards

Clay,

That's Pact. Totally different.

Sorry,
Ron

Clay

As I suspected, my Fevered Imagination.  No Air Conditioning here.
Clay Dowling
RPG-Campaign.com - Online Campaign Planning and Management