News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

octaNe: sneak peek at the driver's seat

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, July 10, 2002, 08:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

I'm a rocker / I'm a roller / I'm an out of controller

Ben has done it again, ladies and germs...
http://www.memento-mori.com/octane/octanesheet-lowres.gif
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Bailywolf

Sweeeeeeeet

So, when do I get to use it, hmmmmm?

Jared A. Sorensen

Soon, young Padawan. Soon.

And check this out: Paul Elliot has been writing a hum-dinger of a pulp adventure supplement. It's nearly ready for the editing stage and contains a few interesting wrinkles that change the way RPGs are played (some of those ideas I freely admit we stole from other games) -- picking characters as if they were action figures in a toybox, using pre-built set pieces (playsets) that are linked by NPCs rather than by paths or highways, being able to change your character's Styles to suit a particular style of play (action vs. intrigue, romance vs. magic)...it's cool.

Plus, you fight Nazis (the game is called Against the Reich!, after all). We'll have three Playsets done (Invasion: Hollow Earth!, Tombs of Terror! and the example setting Shanghai Showdown!) with more on the way (I'm pondering The Naked City! and Escape to the Stars! right now).

Add to that my Blood & Steel mini-supplement and a possible supplement all about octaNe's version of Japan and you got yourself some furious action.

Paul Czege

Okay...someone has to ask this...why the European configuration, with the steering wheel on the right?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

It's australian...Mad Max...v8 Interceptor...um...ah, nobody has gotten it.

Yeah, I'm talking to Ben about reversing the image.

Clinton R. Nixon

Jared's British, Paul. I thought everyone knew that.

(Actually, now that Jared's answered, my joke is for naught. So - Jared, I'd keep it the way it is. It's much, much cooler.)
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jared A. Sorensen

I'm actually Canadian -- on the inside, anyway. *sigh*

Hmmm...

- J, just another kid from Maine

Jürgen Mayer

The charsheet rocks! Kudos, Ben!

When I handed out the InSpectres charsheet at my last game at a con, I heard many "ooooh"s, "aaaah"s and "that's cool"s from the players. Seems you have done it again with the octaNe sheet...
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Bankuei

Man, that's the shit.  Right there.

[calming down from panic-attack like glee]

Small idea:  What if you include a seperate sheet of knick-knacks to be photocopied, cutup, and pasted onto the main sheet according to player's desires?

Plastic Jesus(to all my Padre's out there)
Fuzzy Dice
Funky Mexican Beads
Dancing Hula Girl
Bobblehead toy
Big ole super Catholic cross from the mirror
Assortment of Pokemon type characters
etc,etc.  

Otherwise only the players who can draw will get all the fun :P

Bailywolf

Kickass idea!

What about distributing little auto-trash icons like that as reward for especialy groovy play?  Has there even been a cooler experience system?

No.  There has not.

Jared A. Sorensen

Great ideas.

I fully support and/or endorse the idea of a downloadable PDF with cut-out knick-knacks for the octaNe character sheet.

I'll also be lovin' some pics of the various Role that folks can cut out and affix to their character sheets (although Ben might have to move his signature over a bit to accomodate this).

But yeah, the octaNe site will (hopefully) become a collection of weirdness -- new Roles, NPCs, locations & Playsets, PDF toys, etc.

Oh yeah...another idea was to have other weirdo character sheets: a Marshall amplifier-looking char. sheet and one that resembled a 50's diner-style menu from Ozzy's (a fast food joint appearing in the setting).

Paul Czege

I fully support and/or endorse the idea of a downloadable PDF with cut-out knick-knacks for the octaNe character sheet.

I want one of those little chain steering wheels like Cheech & Chong have in their van, and a dashboard full of candy wrappers like Nixon in Hard Boiled.

Steering wheel's fine where it is.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

Someone here at work recommended a chain steering wheel too. :)

Jürgen Mayer

Cool idea! I want a big red button for the rocket launcher!
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com