News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

About Annalise's Claim's options: a comment

Started by AXUM, February 23, 2009, 11:59:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AXUM

Hi.

When playing Annalise & going round the table for the "Claim's options part" of a Moment, I have noticed that the game tends to slow down...
Maybe if some of the options wouldn't be available (ie. erased from the rules), like the "new Achievement/Consequence roll" (not the one that spends 2 coins for a new 3 or 4 score Achievement/Consequence, the one in which the player states a new Achievement/Consequence in accord to the Claim being used, & then rolls).

I don't know if we are playing it wrong but, this part of the Moment really slows down the game to a crawl.

Ax

Nathan P.

Hey Ax,

You're right, there are a few too many options to go through each one individually for every player and have it be very quick. When I play, this is what happens: the Active Player rolls and assigns their dice, and then does whatever they want with Claims; then we go "does anyone want to mess with this?". Oftentimes, only one person does, so we skip checking in with each individual and just go to them. If more than one person wants to mess with the current results, then we go in the turn order specified in the text. This method of managing the Claim stuff seems to work pretty organically, in that the time spent only really increases with the amount that people care about the Moment at hand, so it doesn't feel very "draggy".

That said, if you notice that there's an option (like spending 1 Coin to add the Consequence and roll the die for it) that nobody ever uses in your game, there's no problem with ignoring it. They are all things that I think are important to have as options, is all.

Is that helpful?
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters

AXUM

YES!

Thanks!

Another suggestion, on the "Death consequences topic": Maybe it'll be cool to include your answers in the text (in a new edition); I suspect I'm not the only one with those questions ramblin round their noggins.

D' Ax

Nathan P.

Yup, as people have been playing I've been getting these kinds of questions every once in a while. Most of them are things that I think are important to leave undefined as a rules matter (like, how do you handle a character dying), but I do intend to put little sidebar bits in about how I personally handle them in play.
Nathan P.
--
Find Annalise
---
My Games | ndp design
Also | carry. a game about war.
I think Design Matters