News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Color Wheel

Started by Ron Edwards, April 26, 2001, 09:38:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Hey Jared,

I really like the Color Wheel. You know me, though: my next question is, what Premise is absolutely perfect for this resolution system? But that's not the point of this post.

Two things to check out: the Asylum role-playing game, and (if possible) The Wild by Nathan Hill, which used to be linked on the Forge. Both of them use color tokens and pulling-from-a-bag.

Asylum, frankly, is a cheat in this regard: each color is a numerical value, and you add the value of the tokens you pull to a value on your sheet (or something similar, I don't have the game in front of me). So it's nothing but a number-generator that's actually slower than either dice or cards. (Read "gimmick.")

I recall The Wild as being more innovative, and I'd always wanted to try it one day before it vanished.

Best,
Ron

Clinton R. Nixon

Ron--

Go to the games page now: The Wild should be there.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Ron Edwards

Hmmm, looks like I'm totally obsolete ... Nathan evidently changed the rules quite a bit from the original version, 'cause now there's a more familiar-style dice system. Oh well.

Back to Color Wheel though. Jared, you know I think that there's no such thing as a generic resolution-system. What SORT of role-playing do you think CW's best suited for?

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Well, it's good for a game without a GM (there are no target numbers or things to be "set" by a neutral third party) and it's good for little kids (who know their colors *cold* but might be a little intimidated by numbers).  The TYPE of game would no doubt be a kind of whimsical storytelling game...

(Personally, I'd use it for Pumpkin Town or a similar game)

I tried to think of a cool setting for Color Wheel (the closest I got was "Picasso!" -- a kind of free-wheeling romp through paintings in an art gallery) but nothing really came out of that.

As it stands, Color Wheel is up there with The Window, I think.  A cool, light rules idea that isn't really that special.  Oh well.  It was fun to write. :smile:
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Jason L Blair

Color Wheel for PumpkinTown would rock the mighty boo-tay.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Jared A. Sorensen

I was talking to a local gamer about the Color Wheel yesterday -- his remark was that it would be a good system for Paranoia.  I think that's pretty funny.

Don Lag

Anybody else think Color Wheel would be great as a magic/sorcery mechanics?
Sebastian Acuña

Jared A. Sorensen

Heh.

Too bad the Magic: the Gathering RPG got shelves (it did, right?).  They'd probably wanna do it with the D20 system anyway...