News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Has anybody done this

Started by Ian Freeman, June 29, 2001, 08:15:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ian Freeman

I am just curious about whether anyone has tried this. Sorcerer: Discworld.

Think about it. You got the dungeon dimensions, and Humanity can be quickly converted to "occult bufferin" representing just how thick that shadow is when it comes to the character. Even wizards have the equivalent to prices in Discworld, so a sorcerer would just have one taken to another level.

It'd be a pretty easy step to switch over to that setting. The problem would be thematic, cause discworld and sorcerer are pretty much on opposite ends of the spectrum.

Oh, and sorcerers would NOT be sourcerers (no, that's not a typo), cause that's a whole other game.

So, any discworld fans out there ever done this?
Ian Freeman
"Dr. Joyce looks profoundly unconvinced (I don't blame him really, this is all a pack of lies)"  -- Iain Banks, The Bridge

Ron Edwards

Being totally clueless about Discworld, I'm curious about the thematic differences you mentioned. What are they? How would Sorcerer mechanics apply, or not apply?

Best,
Ron

Uncle Dark

Ron,

Discworld does for fantasy and S&S fiction what The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy did for SF.

Quite fun, though I don't immediatly see the Sorcerer tie-in, either.

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Ian Freeman

Okay... here's the general rundown on the discworld cosmology:

The universe is like a candle flame, surrounded by emptiness. That emptiness is the Dungeon Dimensions, filled with various demonic entities who gather around the flame. They are "the thickness of a shadow" away from the real world.

The Disc itself is a big 10,000 mile wide disc on the back of 4 giant elephants who stand on the back of a giant space turtle named the Great A'tuin.

Okay... when lots of magic happens, the borders of reality are broken and the denizens of the dungeon dimensions come rushing in. So, people could conceivably break the boundaries of reailty intentionally in order to "summon" demons.

A lot of people have been talking about having difficuly coming up with settings/premises for Sorcerer. Discworld makes a nice and easy transition.

Humanity = Occult Buffering. How much you can resist the demons, and how difficult it is for you to bring them in.

Sorcerers = Wizards who smash reality to bits

Demons = dungeon dimensions

and so on...

The problem is thematic. Sorcere reads (and generally plays) as a serious, somewhat grim game. Discworld is not. Dicworld is comic fantasy satire. Additionally, humanity seems like a big deal in Sorcerer, if it is simply replaced with occult buffering (which has nothing to do with morality) it loses it's edge.

The system is an easy switch, but the premise is not

Ian Freeman
"Dr. Joyce looks profoundly unconvinced (I don't blame him really, this is all a pack of lies)"  -- Iain Banks, The Bridge