News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Requests/suggestions for the Combat Simulator

Started by Mokkurkalfe, August 01, 2002, 03:23:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mokkurkalfe

Oy, Brian!

I have now played a little with your excellent tRoS simulator, and have a few suggestions/requests/whatever.

First, please include the optional rules of fatigue, hit location modifiers and the one about gettind dizzy when hit in the head. I can't remember anymore right now, but the more the better!

With all the displaying options on(i.e. show damage calculation and die rolls) it can be tricky to keep track of all the info rushing by.
Perhaps you could put die rolls and wounds in separate windows or make it more color-coded?

Include terrain and terrain rolls.

A bug:
If you have to pay two dice extra to parry a blow due to range issues, and only have two dice(i.e. you won't have any dice left for the actual parry), then a window comes up saying "You can't do that" or somesuch. Fine.
Evading doesn't get this extra cost, and that's also fine. But if I first choose to parry, then tries to use an evasion, I have to pay that cost.

Some things that may follow the rules but don't make sense:
*When I get down to HT 1 due to bloodloss, my TO halves. Doesn't feel right.
*It seems to me the I shouldn't get the range penalty if I use the Beat maneuver.
*The +4 BL bonus for flails applies even if the hit doesn't break trough the armour.

Some of these things are more aimed at Jake I guess, so I might as well ask him some more. Should the changes on the Beat maneuver be made on every other maneuver with the "Opponent loses dice equal to the MoS" mechanic?
Does the +4 BL apply to zero-level(because of TO) wounds?

And finally, could you explain how and when and where the passive shield AV works in the combat simulator. Could anybody describe how they do in their games? I'm a little unsure myself.

Anyway, good luck on the AI thing!
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: MokkurkalfeOy, Brian!

I have now played a little with your excellent tRoS simulator, and have a few suggestions/requests/whatever.

OK. Shoot.

Quote from: MokkurkalfeFirst, please include the optional rules of fatigue, hit location modifiers and the one about gettind dizzy when hit in the head. I can't remember anymore right now, but the more the better!

Could do that I guess. However all three involve a *lot* of work for minimal payback. Well, actually the dizzyness one would be pretty easy. In fact, fatigue wouldn't be too hard either now that I think about it. Hit location mods would be the most work. I'll have a think about it when I get back to the combat sim, hows that.

Quote from: MokkurkalfeWith all the displaying options on(i.e. show damage calculation and die rolls) it can be tricky to keep track of all the info rushing by.
Perhaps you could put die rolls and wounds in separate windows or make it more color-coded?

Hmm.. you can always turn them off, you know :-) And there's a good reason you can scroll up the window if too much information comes up :-)

Color coding is possible, but it means re-coding the entire memo object that displays the information, because as it currently is, color changes affect the entire control (err.. that means all the text, not just bits). Not a bad idea though, I'll certainly look at making that change.

Quote from: MokkurkalfeInclude terrain and terrain rolls.

Nope. I considered this early on and decided that it was a ton of work for basically no real benefit (i.e. I suspect most people would just play with terrain turned off anyway). Plus you have to allow for changing terrian as the battle moves and shifts, and each person has different terrain problems in many cases etc. Don't hold your breath for this one.

Quote from: MokkurkalfeA bug:
If you have to pay two dice extra to parry a blow due to range issues, and only have two dice(i.e. you won't have any dice left for the actual parry), then a window comes up saying "You can't do that" or somesuch. Fine.
Evading doesn't get this extra cost, and that's also fine. But if I first choose to parry, then tries to use an evasion, I have to pay that cost.

Hmm.. I'll look into that. However, I believe what it actually does is takes away the 2 dice when you click parry, but then gives them back when you evade instead. I'll check.

Hmm.. just ran it up and you're right. Well, thats easy enough to change. I'll do that soon.

Quote from: Mokkurkalfe*When I get down to HT 1 due to bloodloss, my TO halves. Doesn't feel right.

No, that's right. Everything halves at 1 HT

Quote from: Mokkurkalfe*It seems to me the I shouldn't get the range penalty if I use the Beat maneuver.

You get half the range penalty (don't remember if I rounded up or down though). You'll notice that it takes away the range dice (say 2), and then when you click on beat it says something like "Beats only incur half the range penalty" and gives you half (one die in this case) back.

Quote from: Mokkurkalfe*The +4 BL bonus for flails applies even if the hit doesn't break trough the armour.

Hmm.. yes, I never thought of that actually. Well, easy enough to fix.

Quote from: MokkurkalfeAnd finally, could you explain how and when and where the passive shield AV works in the combat simulator. Could anybody describe how they do in their games? I'm a little unsure myself.

Well, the rulebook leaves it a little open to interpretation. I did it like this:
(this is from memory though, so bear with me. I could open up the code and check but my laptop's not on right now and I can't be bothered *grin*).

Buckler I have giving the passive bonus on all attacks to the hands/arms (swing 7 and thrust 14).

Small shield gives to the above locations, and also the chest and abs (12&13 I think) and swing zone 3 on one side (since the combat sim  doesn't use left/right sides, I have a 50/50 chance that it applies to swing zone 3).

Large shield is all the above and also thrusts to the belly (location 10) and low swings to the side (location 2, again 50/50 chance). *maybe* thrusts to the upper legs as well (location 9) but I don't think so - I was saving that for tower shields, which I'll do at some point).

Thanks for the comments, much appreciated. Work on the Combat Sim is on hold at the moment, because I'm busy with oBaM, but I'll be back to it after that.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mokkurkalfe

Thanks for replying before I went to bed!

On optional rules:
Since I have no programming skills myself, I had no idea how much work it would involve, so I just shot from the hip. At least now you know that there is at least one person out there that want's them, especially the hit location mods.

On color coding:
But I like to see the die rolls!

On terrain:
Ok. I can live without it.

On 1 HT:
I suppose I'm whining to the wrong person, but as it is now(in the official rules, that is) when you've lost enough blood, it's much easier to crush someones skull.

On the Beat maneuver:
Ok.

On the shields:
Thanks! It finally makes sense. Especially the 50/50 thing, as it really annoyed me when the shield only sometimes protected the leg, without me knowing why.

Mokkurkalfe

Umm, its possible to chop someone's arm of at the shoulder three times...

Lyrax

ROTFLUIHAHAD (Rolling On The Floor Laughing Until I Have A Heart Attack And Die).

Now, twice I can understand, but three times?
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Mokkurkalfe

Quote from: LyraxROTFLUIHAHAD (Rolling On The Floor Laughing Until I Have A Heart Attack And Die).

Now, twice I can understand, but three times?

Strange, isn't it? :-)

Probably possible to disembowel someone twice as well...

Lyrax

Quote from: Mokkurkalfe

Only in D&D.

GM: "And the evil Gnoll disembowels you with his halberd!  (rolls a d10)... take, uh, five damage.

Player: "ok."

GM: "Oooh, that flind just raked your bowels.  (rolls)... and... he misses."

Player: "Wouldn't it be faster to play The Riddle of Steel?"
Lance Meibos
Insanity takes it's toll.  Please have exact change ready.

Get him quick!  He's still got 42 hit points left!

Ace

Quote from: Lyrax
Quote from: Mokkurkalfe

Only in D&D.

GM: "And the evil Gnoll disembowels you with his halberd!  (rolls a d10)... take, uh, five damage.

Player: "ok."

GM: "Oooh, that flind just raked your bowels.  (rolls)... and... he misses."

Player: "Wouldn't it be faster to play The Riddle of Steel?"

Yes it would:

the combat would be like this

GM:  "The Vikolak hits you in Zone VI for a level 5 --- messy--- make a new character" :)

Brian Leybourne

Sigh :-)

Yes, you can disembowel someone twice in the combat sim, or chop off three arms.

I decided early on there was no point tracking that kind of stuff - by the time you disembowel someone once they're screwed (in fact, they have no CP left at all so you have already won) and ditto if they lose even one arm, let alone two.

There are some things that would take some effort to code and have absolutely no payoff, so I don't bother. This is a prime example.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion