News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Convention Demo's Driftwood Policy?

Started by Thirsty Viking, September 07, 2002, 03:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thirsty Viking

Is there a policy on convention Demo's?  

Or perhaps more to the point, Those who do Convention Demos?

I'm new to this system,  but have DECADES of RPG experience...  some as DM/GM,  but most as player because I didn't like the system mechanics of most systems.  Which TROS adresses  amazingly well.
I have however RUN small campaigns (6-18 months 3-6 players) in D&D, ROLEMASTER, and GURPS.   Besides playing in over a half dozen sytems.

I am a bit out of the convention habit,  but I was thinking over suitable approachs

1st idea was to offer several Intro. to TROS sessions  with pregenerated charachter duels and charachter Generation for those who wanted to participate in a full adventure in a later session  (with the players having a brief idea of the game from the intro).  

2nd option being to toatlly skip charachter creation and use pregens with an hour of duels and spell casting resolutions followed by an a
adventure previously designed for the pregens.

3rd  being the running a series of short skits again with pregens,  highlighting different area of the rule systems....
    Ambushing a patroll.
    Seaking up on a sentry.
    Duel at Dawn
    A few spell scenarios.
    And the obligatory Tavern Tussel

In an ideal world arrangements should be made that TROS books are available at tourney for the people to purchase and take home.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Jake Norwood

I really like the last two ideas, John. They're good. Generally I've found that for all but the hardest-core gamer, Chargen is less rewarding than actual play, which is where TROS really knocks peoples' socks off.

The third idea in particular is great. I want to hear how they go.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: Jake NorwoodI really like the last two ideas, John. They're good. Generally I've found that for all but the hardest-core gamer, Chargen is less rewarding than actual play, which is where TROS really knocks peoples' socks off.

The third idea in particular is great. I want to hear how they go.

Jake

Thanks jake,  i'll be doing some of it at the game store when most people are playing cardgames, for now....   I'll look for some local cons after a few months....  I know there are a lot in summer...  

The first idea  was to give the hardest core gamer....  willing to spend two convention sessions on an unknown system his chance....  these playes being the most likely to buy and run TROS when they go back home.

Didn't say it was a good idea,  just a thought I had.  I want to see the system explode upon the scene  so you put out those setting books for me...   <sinister laughter>
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN