News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Chatroom

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, April 28, 2001, 01:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

A built-in java chat client and private chatroom would be keen.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

ephealy

RPGC has a great system... you can see who is where, even in their many chat rooms.  Nice feature.
Hephaestus

Clinton R. Nixon

On 2001-04-28 23:14, ephealy wrote:
RPGC has a great system... you can see who is where, even in their many chat rooms.  Nice feature.

And I highly suggest that anyone interested in a chatroom go there.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

ephealy

heh - guess IRC is a bit beyond our means at this time :wink:
Hephaestus

Clinton R. Nixon

Actually, chatroom implementation is rather easy and well within my coding abilities.

However, a chatroom is a bad idea as it is (a) a frivolous bell-and-whistle that adds further complexity to the website (I believe in function over form) and (b) takes discussion away from a single-avenue approach to a dual-route approach that dilutes the community we have.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

ephealy

Clinton is right, I think.  While IRC is a nice gadget, it doesn't add to the 'permanent' discussion, and so would likely take away from the site.

What I was referring to above, for anyone who cares, is the fact that to have our own IRC server, The Forge would likely have to spend money.  That may not be true - I'm not 100% sure of it... However, rest assured that if we decide to add IRC to The Forge, Clinton is more than capable of coding it up !

Hephaestus