News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

shield walls idea

Started by svenlein, September 20, 2002, 08:33:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: Thirsty VikingWho were later allowed to kidnap wives.   Could it be that this group was predominantly the Lefty slingers?  If so then later generations could have had a much higher incidence of leftieness than previously.

Nobody is really all that sure what causes left/right handedness, but they *are* pretty sure it's not in any way genetic or hereditary.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: BrianL
Quote from: Thirsty VikingWho were later allowed to kidnap wives.   Could it be that this group was predominantly the Lefty slingers?  If so then later generations could have had a much higher incidence of leftieness than previously.

Nobody is really all that sure what causes left/right handedness, but they *are* pretty sure it's not in any way genetic or hereditary.

Brian.

Actually, i think it is more accurate to say it's not solely genitic.  or at least it hasn't successfully been traced to only one gene.  It could very well require a combination of several genes,  or that there are several different combinations of genes, and is just be too complex for the analysis that has been done so far.   I mean it's not like being a lefty is a major disease that needs lots of research to save lives.

Many traits like Eye color, are single gene based (or at least dominated) and thus easily shown to be genetic.   Many other things such as intelligence  are much more mysterious,  and seem to require delicate blends of genes.   Two genious calliber people tend have kids that are smarter than average kids,  but rarely of genius inellect.  The answer is believed to be that there are too many genes involved,  and the relationships are too complex to have been easily discovered, and some environmental factors as well have an effect.

Anyway,  thats why I asked when it was that the tribe of Benjimen was noted particularly as being lefties.  I was unfamiliar with any of these verses and don't have a concordance.  It seems logical to assume a high proportion of the survivors were lefties...   I know of no case in science where a population with a high # of lefties were in a community and thier descendants largely inter bred.  this would have been the case,  if say 300 of the 400 survivos had been lefties.  I never meant to imply they would all be lefties...   just that the % could well be higher.   Given human breeding habits a study like this can't very well be performed.  True testing might require more than 1 generation to identify as well.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN