News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

books and or movies with that TROS feel

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, September 27, 2002, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashren Va'Hale

Hey, just wondering here, but what books and / or movies strike you guys as having that TROS feel to it? for example, GRR Martins books (Game of thrones etc) could easily be a TROS campaign- same with how the 13th warrior could be a TROS game in film form.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Shadeling

Count of Monte Cristo (book/movie). Surely lots of Spiritual Attribute use (Passion, Drive, and Destiny for sure). Good fight scenes in the movie too... Sure made me want to play after seeing the movie.
The shadow awakens from its slumber in darkness. It consumes my heart.

Vanguard

I'd add to that list:

Princess Bride - so much wit, passion and drive involved.

Conan the Barbarian - for the sheer feel of adventure and carving on'es destiny.

Star Wars - in a sort of way (ok, not fantasy but all that lightsabre, force, destiny, rebellion stuff)

Lots of Akira Kurosawa films - travelling swordsman (seven samurai, yojimbo)

Ill think on this....

Take care
What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger - or a cripple.

Vanguard

Some additions:

Excalibur - lots of destiny warring with passion, and realistic, gritty platemail combat. Oh, and powerful, ritualised magic.

Hmm, Lord of the Rings really - sort of obvious in a way even though some may argue it is a little cheesy (the film that is)

Again, a bit obvious and cheesy, but Gladiator I reckon has that TROS combination of messy, serious combat and powerful drives.

Just remembered this being mentioned in the book, and have looked it up.

Jake's suggestions are: 13th Warrior, Braveheart, Gladiator, Ladyhawke (oh yeah, forgotten that one ), Legend, The Dark Crystal and Seven Samurai.  So not that much added in this forum after all ;)

But if we're talking fairy-taily Legend and Dark Crystal, then maybe other tackier films like Willow and Beastmaster are also valid.

Hmm, kinda of racked my brains now and out of ideas - I just keep wanting to say 'Indiana Jones' but I don't know why?

Take care

Oooh, almost forgot, Ridley Scott's 1st film was called 'The duel', I think.  It's all about these two napoleonic officers who keep getting into fights every time they bump into each other.

Hmmm, that's it, definitely exhausted my memory. I like this thread. Any other suggestions?

Apprentice of Steel

yes have to say definatly the 13th Warrior,

all the suggestions work for me,

LAST OF THE MOHICANS!

did anyone hear anything just then?

Ashren Va'Hale

I dont know how I missed this one but rob roy for sure and also braveheart.
Side note, what was the sword Rob Roy used to kill the fop? Basket hilted broadsword??
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Ashren Va'HaleI dont know how I missed this one but rob roy for sure and also braveheart.
Side note, what was the sword Rob Roy used to kill the fop? Basket hilted broadsword??

Yeah, that's what it was. A "basket-hilted claymore." Claymore is just gaelic for "big sword," by the way.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Chris Passeno

I'm not sure if it fits the 13th Century, but:

Messenger:  The story of Joan of Arc.

Blake Hutchins

"Flesh and Blood," a pretty gritty Renaissance-ish film starring Rutger Hauer.

The Three and Four Musketeers films from the '70s, starring Michael York, Oliver Reed, Christopher Lee, Charlton Heston, Richard Chamberlain, et. al.

Best,

Blake

Vanguard

OMG

Flesh and blood (yeah - absolutely). Had forgotten that one.

And was gonna say Joan of Arc ;)

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: VanguardSome additions:
But if we're talking fairy-taily Legend and Dark Crystal, then maybe other tackier films like Willow and Beastmaster are also valid.

Hmmm, Maybe I Shouldn't Say it....   Beast master could be the most complete fit for the game...  if not the world setting.
The sorcery, strong Vastly diverse, sparingly used.  Strange "Unseelie" beings or were they "Seelie"?.

The beast master himself....  4 familiars....   he only talked to his animals,  not every beast he came across.   All the charachters had their motivations fairly well laid out.

Wish it had been a better movie.   but if you ask me which one most fits wyerth  I'd say the 13th warrior.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Brian Leybourne

How can you not like the Beastmaster?!?! It's a classic! :-)

Hell, I bought it on DVD. It's good to whip out now and then for some mindless fastasy action. And you're right, it's kind of tRoSish. Plus, it's got the cute blonde next-door-neighbour-mother from That 70's Show when she was young and often naked ;-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

qirien

Well, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon isn't really a realistic action movie, but it's just so . . . . cool.

Also, does anyone know of any video games that have realistic fighting in them?  So far I think Ehrgeiz is the most realistic one I've found . . .
Qirien Dhaela
"The reverse side also has a reverse side"

Bankuei

As far as videogames go, Bushido Blade(1 hit, 1 kill) is the TROS game of choice.  Anime, try the Hakkenden, for a great mix of realistic fighting and weirded out sorcery.  Kurosawa's Throne of Blood(MacBeth samurai style) is also a good movie.  For comics, check out Vagabond, a really great book about Musashi in his youth.  For books, definitely check out the Romance of the Three Kingdoms and Heroes of the Water Margin, for chinese warriors and politics.

Chris

Valamir

I'm sorry.  You've all got good movies.  But the single best TROS movie of all time is Warlord starring Charleton Heston.

Very historical in the Norman / Viking period.

Very much SA driven conflict.

The pacing of the movie leaves a little to be desired...at times it proceeds more like a documentary than a drama, and certainly not like an action film...but its pure gold from a TROS standpoint.

And its early Heston...what can possibly be better than early Heston?