News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

books and or movies with that TROS feel

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, September 27, 2002, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Quote from: ValamirAnd its early Heston...what can possibly be better than early Heston?
Well if you're going to reach back, go for Vikings, and Spartacus. Remember that Kirk Douglas was so good at chewing scenery that The National Lampoon had to retire it's Worst Actor of the Year award after he won it five years running!

Say it with me "Combined might of Rome!"

Mike

(oh, wait this is supposed to be good movies?)
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Thirsty Viking

Quote from: qirienWell, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon isn't really a realistic action movie, but it's just so . . . . cool.

Also, does anyone know of any video games that have realistic fighting in them?  So far I think Ehrgeiz is the most realistic one I've found . . .

Did you ever Play Thief the Dark Project?   This game had the best ambush attacks.  Arrow sniping,  one shot one kill if you had surprise.   Hightened alert status if the guards discover a body.  Servants that run away yelling to alert the guards.Eves dropping to hear the guards talk about going to the bearpit was GREAT.

As for beastmaster I did love it.   ok not as much as LADYHAWKE .... hmmm...   How Do you cast those Curses on charachters...    lol  Now i need to design those spells.  seems to me i remember some sort of transformation.  ....
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Mokkurkalfe

Quote from: qirienWell, Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon isn't really a realistic action movie, but it's just so . . . . cool.

Also, does anyone know of any video games that have realistic fighting in them?  So far I think Ehrgeiz is the most realistic one I've found . . .

I know this awesome little free program called the Riddle of Steel Combat Simulator by some Brian Leyborne. Text based, but fun anyway.
The Thief games are good, yeah(and scary). The first tRoS game I GMed was with a literal copy of Garrett, the main character in Thief. It worked quite well.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Le Pact de Loupes?

(aka. The Brotherhood of the Wolf)

Very nice fighting scenes, quite ok movie also.
It even includes secret societies, mythical beasts etc.

qirien

Oh yeah, Thief!  Those games were awesome.  There's supposed to be a Thief III coming out sometime . . . I did like the sniping, silent aspect of combat in the games - they were especially realistic if you played on Expert mode!  I supposed Deus Ex has pretty realistic combat, too, although in a futuristic setting, and assuming that you have syborg implants which make you less susceptible to damage . . .

That makes me want to play Thief again.
Qirien Dhaela
"The reverse side also has a reverse side"

Brian Leybourne

[quote="Mokkurkalfe] I know this awesome little free program called the Riddle of Steel Combat Simulator by some Brian Leyborne. Text based, but fun anyway.[/quote]

Aw jeez.. you're just greasing now...

Keep it up! :-)

By the way, no promises as to "when", but I'm a good chunk of the way through a TROS character generator.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

Mokkurkalfe

Quote from: BrianL[quote="Mokkurkalfe] I know this awesome little free program called the Riddle of Steel Combat Simulator by some Brian Leyborne. Text based, but fun anyway.

Aw jeez.. you're just greasing now...

Keep it up! :-)

By the way, no promises as to "when", but I'm a good chunk of the way through a TROS character generator.

Brian.[/quote]

Woohooo!!!!

After that, the only thing that's missing is a campaign manager.
As I said before, the only thing I really like about D&D are all the nifty programs available.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Brian Leybourne

Quote from: MokkurkalfeAfter that, the only thing that's missing is a campaign manager.

Jeez, one at a time, mate! :-)

In fact, I still want to go back to the combat sim and add an AI, I'm actually part of the way through that (in that the AI can choose initiative and stance) but I'm having trouble building the algorithm for deciding attacks and defenses and number of dice etc given the variable weapons and CP's, so for now it's way way on the back burner.

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Thalaxis

Quote from: qirienOh yeah, Thief!  Those games were awesome.  There's supposed to be a Thief III coming out sometime . . . I did like the sniping, silent aspect of combat in the games - they were especially realistic if you played on Expert mode!  I supposed Deus Ex has pretty realistic combat, too, although in a futuristic setting, and assuming that you have syborg implants which make you less susceptible to damage . . .

That makes me want to play Thief again.

Looking Glass Studios closed its doors some time ago... but they were hoping to get enough of the developers back together to finish off their trilogy. That, unfortunately, is the last I heard regarding the Thief3 project.

qirien

Yeah, I know Looking Glass Studios closed down.  However, Eidos bought rights to make Thief 3 two years ago.  (see the press release http://www.ttlg.com/articles/t3p1.asp">here).  Also, http://www.thief3.com">Thief3.com has a nice teaser pic.  :-)

Hopefully it will come out soon, and be good.
Qirien Dhaela
"The reverse side also has a reverse side"

Thirsty Viking

Good news on thief 3.

Ok I don't remember anyone mentioning a movie....  to me it has a very TROS feel to it with a few  Exceptions...   though they are biggies

If the Sidhe had slightly more limited spell casting...   and iff they could rapidly regenerate wounds as long as thier hearts and brains were
connected....  

the

movie

is

Highlander.

The original Highlander has the shock values take effect from the wounds.   Also has the CP loss from non wounding combat.   Only 2 charachters survive fairly serious wounding.   The Kurgen,  and  McCleod.   In Connor's case all the wounds incapacitated him,  and he was saved by his oponent leaving (in the rapier duel)  or intervention of allies (the Clan battle scene).   It was also much more about the charachters motivations than just swordfighting.   Why did Conner win?  IMO it was the girls.   It was Drive Vengence (the death of Rameriz + the recently discovered rape of his GF), Passion to protect the women he loves (his new GF was at the scene of the battle), even though he wanted her he was very hesitent to let her love him because of a conflict with his conscience (how much it hurt his wife to grow old in front of him while he stayed young).
Any way all these things were in effect for him in the final battle.  and enough to compensate for Kurgen's Drive (win the Prize which was much stronger than Conners')

Anyway....  it's gritty enough I think.   Just a strange thought that occured to me as i listened to the soundtrack.
Nil_Spartan@I_Hate_Hotmail_Spam.Com
If you care to reply,  the needed change
should be obvious.

John Doerter   Nashville TN

Brian Leybourne

Highlander was a great film. What a pity there wasn't only one.

(I even hear they're talking Highlander FIVE now.. as if they shouldn't have learned their lessons from 2,3,2,4 and of course 2).

Good point though, quite TROSsy. You forgot Connor's other SA - Destiny to win the prize :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

Irmo

Quote from: BrianLIn fact, I still want to go back to the combat sim and add an AI, I'm actually part of the way through that (in that the AI can choose initiative and stance) but I'm having trouble building the algorithm for deciding attacks and defenses and number of dice etc given the variable weapons and CP's, so for now it's way way on the back burner.

Speaking of the combat simulator, the link on the website apparently needs a-fixing. I just wanted to download it at home, so that I don't have to illegally toy with it at work, but it won't budge.

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Irmo
Quote from: BrianLIn fact, I still want to go back to the combat sim and add an AI, I'm actually part of the way through that (in that the AI can choose initiative and stance) but I'm having trouble building the algorithm for deciding attacks and defenses and number of dice etc given the variable weapons and CP's, so for now it's way way on the back burner.

Speaking of the combat simulator, the link on the website apparently needs a-fixing. I just wanted to download it at home, so that I don't have to illegally toy with it at work, but it won't budge.

Yeah, the server is fighting any upload of *.exe's right now. I'll be all over it later this week.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Brian Leybourne

It's possibly been lost in the recent website reshuffle. Jake?

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com