News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

books and or movies with that TROS feel

Started by Ashren Va'Hale, September 27, 2002, 08:30:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adrian Werner

Outside from those already mentioned..I would also add

Berserk- both manga and anime- realistic, bloody and savage combat...with dark and deeply psychological story. Amazong stuff

Ruroni Kenshin OAV- only OAV..because it`s the only one that features realistic combat(without any "super special attacks")..and has the deepest and overall best story

Karl.E.Wagner`s Kane saga- it`s perfect for TROS :)

Elric saga- classic dark fantasy..to be honest I`ve been GMing a Stormbringer for many years..but half a year ago I`ve switched the machanics to TROS..and since it`s multiverse   my gamers often visit worlds like Hyborea and Weyrth

Glen Cook`s "Black company"- great dark fantasy about war

Blade of Immortal- brutal and realistic..I love when the main character gets chooped into piecies :)

Jon the Bastard

QuoteBerserk- both manga and anime- realistic, bloody and savage combat...with dark and deeply psychological story. Amazong stuff

Eh..  I didn't really dig Berserk.   It just seemed like such standard anime fare after having been exposed to Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.   Also, what is the Japanese's fascination with ungodly big swords?

Adrian Werner

Eh..  I didn't really dig Berserk.   It just seemed like such standard anime fare after having been exposed to Cowboy Bebop and Hellsing.   Also, what is the Japanese's fascination with ungodly big swords?

Have you seen it to the end? Because I`ve often seen people disliking this series after watching only few episodes and then changing their opinion after seeing the whole series. Berserk story is much more  complex and deeper psychologicaly  than that of C.bebop(which strenght is based mainly on it`s  style). Even though  the anime is a lot worse and awfully censored compared to manga(which has scenes like..Gutt`s mentor selling him for few coins to perverted pedeophile...this example should show you how much darker it is compared to anime)..it`s still the best fantasy movie/series I`ve seen(yes...IMO it`s better thn LOTR movies). ANd that big sword..well...what can I say :) If you would see what Gutts is fighting with in manga you would understand..normal sword wouldn`t even stratch those demons :)

Jake Norwood

Let's steer this a little more back towards the topic, eh?

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Mokkurkalfe

The Wheel of Time would fit nicely, especially with TROS sorcery rules. Change the vagaries into Fire, Water, Wind, Earth and Spirit, and let the Sorcery pool represent the channelers raw strength, and your'e more or less ready to go.
SA's fit in nicely, as they do in almost any fantasy, blademasters would have kickass combat pools etc.
TROS would be a much better system for the setting than D20 anyway.
Joakim (with a k!) Israelsson

Ashren Va'Hale

just for the last fight scene, Soldier. When the badie looks at the kids and todd shakes his head was beastly.
Philosophy: Take whatever is not nailed down, for the rest, well thats what movement is for!

Bob Richter

Quote from: MokkurkalfeThe Wheel of Time would fit nicely, especially with TROS sorcery rules. Change the vagaries into Fire, Water, Wind, Earth and Spirit, and let the Sorcery pool represent the channelers raw strength, and your'e more or less ready to go.
SA's fit in nicely, as they do in almost any fantasy, blademasters would have kickass combat pools etc.
TROS would be a much better system for the setting than D20 anyway.

Well, the derived Sorcery Attributes aren't necessarily valid, and different channelers seem to have different basic and maximum strengths not only in the Power but also in the individual Elements.

Also, men are much stronger than women, but can't link without the help of one, while a Full Circle of (13) women is more powerful than any man.
So ye wanna go earnin' yer keep with yer sword, and ye think that it can't be too hard...

Lance D. Allen

Plus various other differences, Bob...

But I agree, actually. The magic system would need some tweaking, but the sheer brutality of combat (though it's abstracted with the named forms, rather than simply describing what happens) is right in line with TRoS. The main characters seem to be firing on all SAs every time there's combat, especially before they gain in skill, but other than that, I can see it as a viable roleplaying setting.
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

Amy1419

I just started reading a novel that would be great for TROS! Some of the magic is not very TROS but a lot of the combat, worlds, and some magic is.
It is the Run Blde Trilogy written by Ann Marston.
I found it at a discount store. The first book is entitled
Kingmaker's Sword

:)

Amy

Jason Kottler

Hi there, first post on my part.

If you're looking for a book where magic works like TRoS, try Master of the Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy. Uhh..1980 or thereabouts.

In that book, Sorcery is the magic of seeing, illusion, and mind-control. And a Sorcerer is born with a certain amount of life force which is used in proportion to the power of a spell and in inverse proportion to how well the spell is cast. I think Sorcery is the third or fourth magic the protagonist "masters", so you won't get to it right off the bat.

A fun read, but no Song of Ice and Fire.
Jason Kottler -Ultrablamtacular!

Eamon Voss

Best movie ever on period (1500-1600ish)

Seven Samurai

The fights were awesome.  Not in their glory of the technique, but in the sheer grit of the fights.  The fights were mob scenes, ambushes, gang-ups, your average desperate conflicts.  The peasants armed with sharpened bamboo spears and various other pole-arms did terrible things.  Only once was there a formal duel, and it was considered ludicrious.  And the Samurai who managed to die perished from muskets, symbolizing the destruction of the old ways in the face of the new.

All of this could have been done in Europe of the same time.  Take out the Katana and Samurai and give them Longswords and make them Knight-Errants and you have the same movie!
Realism in a melee game is not a matter of critical hit charts, but rather the ability to impart upon the player the dynamism of combat.

tauman

I like the movie "The Last Valley" about a mercenary company from the 30 years war looking for a place to winter. I haven't seen it in years, but it had Machael Caine and Omar Sharif, and became one of my instant favorites (I'll probably order it on DVD soon, if it's available). Interesting historical based fiction movie without the usual super-combat heroics of the protagonists. Good, gritty movie with a "feel" similar to what I picture when I think of TROS.

tauman

Judd

Although I don't think there is an ounce of combat in it a Lion in Winter is one of the best medeival movies that I've ever seen.

Amazing.

SA's in ACTION.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Eamon VossBest movie ever on period (1500-1600ish)

Seven Samurai!

Hell, any Kurosawa. Yojimbo is so cool that people can't stop remaking it in other genres (Fist Full of Dollars, Last Man Standing).

How big a CP do you think the main character has?  :-)

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jake Norwood

Yeah...I'm a Kurosawa addict. What's funny is that other than the 7 Samurai it wasn't until *after* TROS that I got into Kurosawa...but damn...some of the best movies I've ever seen.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant