News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Props

Started by MARS, July 24, 2001, 12:36:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARS

While I was at the store, I noticed school supplies for sale. But out of those things one thing caught my eye. A pack of scobby doo pencils. I thought that might help to add to the feeling of being young if you had the players use  pencils with cartoon characters on them.

Do you think it would take away from the terror too much?

Any thoughts if you think this is a good or bad idea?

Or any other suggest on props that could add to little fears, any good music to play in the background?

"From Brig o'Dread when thou may'st pass, On Purgatory Road thou travel at last."--Old English Dirge

Cyanide

I was thinking of getting some candy. Suckers, bubble gum, wax lips....etc....

Music....hmmmmmmmm.....How about Barney music, yeah. It would go along with the game because after listening to it after awhile people would start to go insane.  LOL :grin:

MARS

Barney music, would be a cruel punishment for the players as well as myself.

I was thinking more the line of errie and creepy music. I have a halloween cd which would work for starters, but I'm thinking of something more serious or better?

"From Brig o'Dread when thou may'st pass, On Purgatory Road thou travel at last."--Old English Dirge

Jason L Blair

Well, I listened to the CD "Haunted" by Poe a lot while writing it and laying it out. I think it would make appropriate background music (hm... might wanna skip over the song "Not a Virgin Anymore," though... well... it could fit but I won't go there).

Anyway, good topic folks. I'm interested to see what others come up with.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Mytholder

Is that the Poe who's the sister of the guy who did House of Leaves...

and speaking of which, oh wow oh wow. I now want to run a game based on House of Leaves from the perspective of the two kids...

Jason L Blair

Yes, she is. In fact, "Haunted" is the "soundtrack" to House of Leaves. Both were inspired by their father's passing and looking through the legacy he had left. Very cool CD and I've been meaning to get the book... hrm... a little something to do after work, methinks.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Cyanide

Dido on Danny Elfman. He's got some great stuff.

There are alot of movie score soundtracks that would enhance game atmosphere. Some of my personal favorites are
Elizabeth, The Crow ( the score, not the soundtrack with the various bands), and Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Nightmare on Elm Street (the first two) are also pretty decent.

If you go to cdnow.com you can check out what they sound like.

Corvus Corax

as far as music goes,I've found a band named raison d'etre has very lush soundscape type stuff...perfect to portray the menace that is Closetland.

Jared A. Sorensen

raison d'etre -- nice stuff.

I'm all about Switchblade Symphony and The Cure for kid-themed games. Hello, creep-o-meter. I also adore anything on the Projekt label, but that's only cuz I wear black.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

trelliz

I reckon that you should change the music depending on what is happening in the game. if the characters are exploring a house in the dark, then some creepy music is appropriate, but when a denizen of Closetland jumps out and chases them down the road, ending in a fight in a back-alley then most Rob Zombie, Amen or System of a Down songs would be good. (i'm not saying this just because i like these groups)
"This machine cannot turn lead into gold, but it can do the next best thing; it can turn gold into cottage cheese."

Tyrant

I've long been a fan of Horror music... stuff that isn't popular, mostly without words and not tame a few that come to mind

Pi: the soundtrack

God Speed You Black Emperor

Coil: Almost anything

Dead Voices on Air

And without a doubt (hehe) Doubting Thomas (Father Don't Cry)

"power flows from the barrel of a gun" - Mao

Owner
Slave State Gaming
www.slave-state.com
Webmaster
Digital RPG
www.digitalrpg.org

Ben Morgan

For atmosphere, try Midnight Syndicate. If these guys aren't doing horror movie scores, they should be. They have a new album out, which I haven't listened to yet, but the first two (Born of the Night, and Realm of Shadows) are excellent.

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/

-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Tyrant

I've been meaning to get the book... hrm... a little something to do after work, methinks.

The book is great, I suggest it highly, though it can be a hard read it's worth the time...

Another one I can suggest, though it has little to do with children... "Dis-torture" by Rob Hardin horror, with teeth

Bitterreign Gaming
http://www.bitterreign.com
Editor: The Abyss
http://www.kult-rpg.org

[ This Message was edited by: Tyrant on 2001-09-07 09:34 ]
"power flows from the barrel of a gun" - Mao

Owner
Slave State Gaming
www.slave-state.com
Webmaster
Digital RPG
www.digitalrpg.org

Clinically Insane

On 2001-09-06 21:46, Amazing Kreskin wrote:
For atmosphere, try Midnight Syndicate. If these guys aren't doing horror movie scores, they should be. They have a new album out, which I haven't listened to yet, but the first two (Born of the Night, and Realm of Shadows) are excellent.

http://www.midnightsyndicate.com/

Just got Born of the night, sounds good. I also picked up one called Gates of Delirium. If all of them are as good as Born, I'll have to pick them up.

Petter Sandelin

Talking about moody stuff I must mention how much I would LOVE to take my players out in the woods and play little fears around the campfire..
Petter