News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Online RPGs

Started by Daredevil, October 16, 2002, 08:32:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daredevil

Heya,

I'd like to discuss online, text-based roleplaying games such as MUSHes/MOOs/etc. Now, while it could be argued that these are not really within the domain of this forum, I'd like to disagree and dissassociate these types of games from your typical computer games. In fact, they work more like rather freeform, paper RPGs except the chosen medium is limited to text.

For those unfamiliar with these types of games, check out http://moosh.net/mush/what.shtml for one link to get you started.

Personally, I have considerable experience playing and running these games and have enjoyed some of my best roleplaying moments in these places. Though certainly time has probably somewhat eroded their popularity (text-based computer games just don't seem to cut it anymore), I still think there is a lot of potential here for the hard-core roleplayer.

Especially, I think a lot of the game making philosophies/approaches/systems the Forge dwells on could be applied very well in a MUSH. I believe system/mechanics-wise MUSHes have stagnated and have not seen a lot of development. Indeed, people's frustration with limiting game-systems eventually created the trend towards even more freeform, consent based games. Here I blame the MUSH population for a lack of creativity regarding this part of the game. If we could see similar ingenious game designs for MUSHes as we see on the Forge for pen-and-paper games, I think it would revolutionarize the MUSH experience.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from you guys. I know there are a few MUSHers in here and would very much like to hear your ideas, experiences and thoughts.

Thanks!

- Joachim Buchert -

Jared A. Sorensen

As a former MUSH guy (coder and player), I can say with some certainty that MUSHes ain't RPGs anymore than a book or a card table is an RPG. Rather, it's a place to play an RPG (like a chatroom) or a vehicle to host rules or what-have-you.

That said, I don't see how it's any different from playing F2F around a card table in your parents' basement or in a LARP at the local university...aside from constraints arising from the medium.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com