News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Site changes

Started by Clinton R. Nixon, July 29, 2001, 12:41:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clinton R. Nixon

In case anyone's wondering, I'm changing the site look and feel today. I'll let you know when I'm finished.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

joshua neff

I like the new look, except WAY too much white space. It hurts to look at the screen.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Jack Spencer Jr

personally, the title page, the one with just a big version of the logo that links to the main page is a waste.

I've never liked that sort of thing and have often wondered why websites have it.

It just slows me down as I try to access the site.  I have to load this page w/ a big graphic (or whatever.  Depends on the site.  Orkworld.com had a Flash movie) and then when it finishes loading I can go to another page and finally do things on the site.

I suppose it wouldn't matter if I had a cable modem and it took  a second to put up the page.

But I don't and it took about 12 seconds to fully download. (Horrors!)

My two cents.

Jared A. Sorensen

Agreed.  Here's one solution: add the major links of the site around/under/above the beeeeg circle and use the beeeeg circle as a link to the "main page."
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Paul Czege

Hey Clinton,

I rather like the old "Hephaestus at the forge" graphic. Perhaps it can be repurposed elsewhere on the site?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Clinton R. Nixon

On 2001-07-29 21:44, Paul Czege wrote:
Hey Clinton,

I rather like the old "Hephaestus at the forge" graphic. Perhaps it can be repurposed elsewhere on the site?

I liked the graphic as well, but did not have access to the original graphic file so as I could manipulate it without assing it up, as the site has changed administrators a few times.

As such, in order to re-vamp, re-invent, and be basically a new site, we've added new features, gotten a new domain name (indie-rpgs.com instead of indierpgs.com), and now, officially have changed the name from Hephaestus' Forge to "The Forge." This also precipitates the change in graphic.

[ This Message was edited by: Clinton R Nixon on 2001-07-31 08:53 ]
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

John Wick

I love the new format.
I'm on a 56k modem.
I can make the index page a favorite, thus skipping the main page.

No complaints here. I dig it the most, baby. :wink:

Carpe Deum,
John

Zak Arntson

I dig the new format, but the white background is a little bright (could be my tired Monday morning eyes, though).

I don't mind the big front image because I always go straight to the forge anyway.  But for what it's worth, on my lousy home connection (like 28 or 56) I clicked on the image way before it loaded.

I really dig the Forge logo (though I got a sneak preview a while back), like some lousy Frazetti-painted rock album from way back.  Cracks me up.

Lastly, in the library, the indie game description tables (under an author) have a background too dark for the lettering.  If you could do a lighter gray, it would be way easier on the eyes.  I also can't figure out how to do a working link from the text?

Thanks for spending all your time on this.  I'm sure we all know how painful it is to do web design ...

Ron Edwards

I like the new design. Sure, there are a number of li'l tweaks to go here and there, but it's working. And now you can get into the Forge itself from the forums, which is a big plus.

Now ... for content. That publishing area is WAAAY overdue for new links, new essays, new war stories, and more. After GenCon, my friends.

Best,
Ron