News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Epoch Fantasy RPG playtesters requested

Started by sacrosanct, November 01, 2002, 01:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sacrosanct

I have recently completed my second RPG: Epoch Fantasy RPG, and am in the stages of playtesting.  My goal with this rpg was to create a simple game that is easy to learn, yet have great flexibility in character creation.  I guess you can say it's a game designed towards the novice or beginner player to the genre.  No underwater basket-weaving skill check with this game.

If you're interested in giving the rules a good look thru, or even better, getting your local group together to playtest them, I would really love the feedback.  I currently have the beta rules on my website; just click on the Epoch button and it will get you there.  I apologize for the rough look of the site, but i just got it back onlline and I wanted to get the info there first, then I'll work on the asthetics.  The rules are in PDF format and approximately 900k large.

Again, feedback is greatly apprceciated.
Thanks

www.optw.tripod.com
Demo to Legends of Glory available at www.sacrosanctgames.com

Also available are royalty free fantasy clip art sets.

Paul Czege

Hey dude,

Your link isn't working for me. Are you sure it's right?

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

sacrosanct

correction to url.  The correct one is

http://optw.tripod.com

sorry for the inconvienience

Paul Czege

My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Le Joueur

Just a quick question:

Why did you name it Epoch?

Did you mean Epoch as in "A fixed point of time, established in history by the occurrence of some grand or remarkable event; a point of time marked by an event of great subsequent influence."

Or "Heroic and impressive in quality."

The second is epic not epoch.

Just curious,

Fang Langford
Fang Langford is the creator of Scattershot presents: Universe 6 - The World of the Modern Fantastic.  Please stop by and help!

sacrosanct

I stayed away form Epic because it seems everyone and their grandma's dog has an rpg named Epic.  I used Epoch because of 2 reasons.  1: it does refer to the point in time of legend and knights, and 2: it's kind of a play on words with the other Epic.

Mike Holmes

Quote from: sacrosanct1: it does refer to the point in time of legend and knights

It does? By what definition?

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Valamir

I believe you misparsed his sentence.  I suspect he meant
"It does refer to a point in time.  In this case the point in time of legend and knights"

Mike Holmes

You're probably right, Ralph.

Sacrosanct, are you interested in discussing the game at all without a playtest? We could start a thread in Indie Game Design.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

sacrosanct

Sure, I wouldn't mind open discussion.  I didn't want to flood the boards with muliple post though.  Epoch is actually the second game I've done; Aftermath, New Explorations being the first (and by far the most in depth and advanced).   I could really start a thread about both games, under the title OPTW gaming discussion.  Neither game has been officially published as of yet (my ultimate goal is to see one of my games in a store; profit is a distant second).  My main goal with Epoch is to create a simple gaming system that is easy to learn, but fun to play as well.  I hope that the artwork will be a strong alluring point for both games.  I do have several pictures on the site, if anyone has any comment on those.

greyorm

Sure, I'll comment on the art:

One, there is no note as to whether this is your art, or someone else's. If it is yours, you should note that immediately. If it isn't, you should note the artist's name and get their permission immediately (if you dont' have it already).

Second, I've always found the vast majority of computer-generated art to look like...computer-generated art.

I'm not sure if you quite realize what I mean, so to explain: unless there's actual artistic touch-up or existing integrity to the pieces, they (for the most part) are boring.

It seems a great deal of the force behind CG art is that its creators believe it to be good because it "looks realistic" (ie: via textures, tones, shadowing, etc)...often completely missing the point of what makes an image impressive instead of mediocre or uninteresting.

There are a few CG-only artists whose work impresses me on the level of artists who work in other mediums, but very few. I should also mention that I'm not stating "CG-art isn't art!" or "art has to be hand-drawn!" or any such fallacy...I use the computer nearly exclusively to produce my own work, as well as for pose prep (cheaper than hiring models!).

All that said, the art on your site was mixed. Mostly it was not "bad" but "unimpressive."

Out of the images in the Gallery on the site, I would say the Earth Elemental and the Fire Dragon are by far and away the best pieces, as they are dynamic, interesting and aesthetic. I really liked these two pieces...both elicited a response of "cool!" from me.

The Scavenger character comes in as a close second to this, unfortunately, he looks more like he's *ahem* taking a crap than being surprised/alert/searching/whatever. A slight alteration of the pose of the figure, to make his stance more dynamic, would do wonders for it and earn it ranking with the prior two mentioned.

The modern weapon images also look good, and are of quality. I usually dismiss single item images as something other than "art," they seem more to be illustration, but if used in an equipment chapter they would serve their purpose well, IMO.

Now, as you were asking for feedback on it, I'll assume you're looking for comments as to what folks think of an RPG using CG'd art in it?

Well...if its GOOD, yes. If it's mediocre or poor...hell-no; not even if its "almost good."
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Christoffer Lernö

I'd go so far as to say that CG art has to be bloody frigging impressive for me to not think it's totally inappropriate for a FRPG. My personal opinion.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

sacrosanct

thank you all for the comments.  I do sketch art too, which I may put in the site.  (I'll upload the behemoth and zombie tonight)  I have to admit that one of the main reasons I used CG art is because it's easy and fast and cheap.  I needed to get my rules out relatively fast, and any of us that's even looked into contracting out to an artist will find it very expensive.

That being said, I have found that the largest demographic of people who prefer traditional art in rpgs are us old timers. (people that have spent several years playing and are older than 25 years old).  The younger generation, as I have found out, are by far much more familar with CG art and are much more willing to accept it, as CG are is in pretty much every video game and most movies that they remember.  Most of these players under 25 don't remember saying 'cool' to the special effects in 'Clash of the Titans'.  I'm not trying to stereotype players by age, but this is the general feedback I've gotten from several surveys I've done.

But I do agree that standard art is more impressive because it's more personal and unique.

Christoffer Lernö

To get back to the actual contents of the game, it seemed to be a slimmed down version of AD&D although meatier than old Red Book Basic D&D.
I'm afraid the font used for the PDF was terribly bad for reading on the computer so I didn't get in depth. But from what I could see there was nothing in there but D&D really.
Please let me know if this assessment is wrong.
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

sacrosanct

To say that Epoch is the same as D&D is like saying every fantasy rpg is the same as D&D.  The combat, magic, and skill system are nothing like D&D (which makes up a HUGE part of the game), not to mention that there aren't any of your typical 'classes' that are found in most rpgs.  Epoch uses a guild system.  Each character, when created, does not have a class or profession.  Instead, you create your character based upon what skills you purchase.  Anyone can purchase any skill, as long as there is a teacher willing to teach it.  There are several guilds in which a character can join later in the game when they meet the minimum requirements to join that particular guild.  I suppose that you could call a guild a profession, but no one is ever forced to join a guild.  I've found that this system eliminates one part of role-playing that I've always been annoyed at.  I'm sure we've all been in a situation where you create your character, anxious to play, and after a few hours of playing, you wish you had played another character class.  Epoch gets around this.  If you start by purchasing primarily combat skills, but later want to become a spell caster, you easily can, for example.

Epoch is also slimmed down on purpose.  My first game, AFTERMATH, is very long and detailed; that's the game for an advanced player who likes lots of rules.  I did Epoch as a basic game that you can pick up and play with little time spent on character generation and skill checks every five minutes.  The demographic group I'm targeting with Epoch is 1) the novice or beginner player or 2) the group that wants to take a break from their normal campaign and play something a little less taxing on the mathmatical part of the brain.  

I've designed the rules to be as basic as possible (there are only 15 creatures in the original rules), but I am in the process of creating several adventure PAKs.  Think of them as the D&D version of the modules from way back when, with slight differences.  Each adventure PAK will include a detailed linear adventure, 5 additional creatures, 2 additional spells, and 2 additional arcane items.  I guess they are more like an expansion pack.