News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Miniatures

Started by MARS, August 04, 2001, 12:25:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MARS

What is everyones thoughts on minatures?

Either metal or card board stand-ups like pinnacle has done?

I for one would like to see the Kings done in metal, myself, but card board stand-ups would also be cool.
"From Brig o'Dread when thou may'st pass, On Purgatory Road thou travel at last."--Old English Dirge

trelliz

Metal/plastic minis are the ONLY way forward. carboard minis were fragile and looked rubbish.
"This machine cannot turn lead into gold, but it can do the next best thing; it can turn gold into cottage cheese."

Jason L Blair

I for one would like to see the Kings done in metal...

Oooh, me too. But not as much as I want Kings of Closetland action figures.

Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

jburneko

If minis were done at all my vote is always for cardstock.  I don't think I want to game with anyone who complains that cardboard minis are too fragile because I don't want to know what goes on in their games.

I've used the Deadlands Cardstock Cowboys for over a year and each one is in pristine condition.  My CATS have even gotten their paws on a few of them and they're still perfectly all right.

I prefer cardstock because I can get like 100 figures for $20.  I can cobble together whole armies for the fraction of a cost.  Yeah, I'm a cardstock nut.  My second choice is pre-painted plastics.  My third is pre-painted metal.  Can you tell I'm not into painting minis?  But then I'm not much of a mini nut to begin with.

Jesse

Clinically Insane

On 2001-08-29 15:28, Key20Jason wrote:
I for one would like to see the Kings done in metal...

Oooh, me too. But not as much as I want Kings of Closetland action figures.

Action figures?

Is that after the movie comes out? :smile:

peteramthor

Movie hell, I want the TV series on cable without all that network censorship crap.  That would so rock.  Give it a budget and go to town.

Ah well we all can dream can't we?  Its up there with my wish for a Kult TV series and a Twilight 2000 hardcore action movie.  Not to mention a SLA movie trilogy as well... and maybe a ...

Laura Bishop

Enh... I'm not a mini phr3k, but I can admit to a certain fascination with them.  I like to paint, though I'm pretty lousy, and I like to move them around, though mostly in diorama form on my computer desk.  I also have a pretty impressive collection of Female's Not Showing All Their Ts and As.  I've found Dark Haven, specifically by  Sandra Garrity (So, here I say I'm not a phr3k and I have a favorite sculptor. Hold on while I get this foot of mine out of my mouth) helpful in this endeavor.

But, onto Mini's in Little Fears.  Ida know.  I'm still of the opinion the game itself doesn't need them -- but if they were offered as sculptures ala Witchblade, Preacher or Jay and Silent Bob, that'd be pretty cool.  I guess.  If you want Kabaelza lounging around your National Geos on the coffee table. o.O

For my part, I'd pass, but I still think it would be cool in principle.

-- L

Clinically Insane

On 2001-08-30 00:10, peteramthor wrote:
Movie hell, I want the TV series on cable without all that network censorship crap.  That would so rock.  Give it a budget and go to town.

Ah well we all can dream can't we?  Its up there with my wish for a Kult TV series and a Twilight 2000 hardcore action movie.  Not to mention a SLA movie trilogy as well... and maybe a ...

I just would like to see one 'GOOD' movie based on any roleplaying game made, just one....

But I think you have a good idea. But how about the Roleplaying network? Our very own cable channel?

Anyone on this board a multi-billionaire?

[ This Message was edited by: Clinically Insane on 2001-08-30 12:42 ]

Ron Edwards

With respect, I suggest that movies and RPGs have the same negative relationship that applies to *most* movies + [other medium].

That negative effect is to diminish the other medium's expression of the material - substance-wise, commercially, and societally. Basically, the movie takes it over.

I am not saying that movies "suck." Let us imagine, for instance, that the D&D movie was stupendously excellent. My claim is that such an event would not, in any way, have "helped" role-playing. It would bring role-players into movie theaters, yes. It would not necessarily bring any movie-goers into role-playing stores. This pattern has been demonstrated with comics time after time.

So - would a Little Fears (or L5R, or Sorcerer, or whatever) movie be "cool"? Hell, sure - if it were good. But would it be good for LF as a game, L5R as a game, Sorcerer as a game? Aside from the licensing fees, which frankly are VERY stingy toward the source material anyway, not necessarily.

Best,
Ron

jburneko

On 2001-08-30 12:51, Ron Edwards wrote:
With respect, I suggest that movies and RPGs have the same negative relationship that applies to *most* movies + [other medium].

That negative effect is to diminish the other medium's expression of the material - substance-wise, commercially, and societally. Basically, the movie takes it over.

Really?  So am I just weird?  Because the second I see that a movie is based on a book, I generally go out and buy the book if I liked the movie.  Granted, my usual motive is to see how badly Hollywood butchered the book.  Hell, sometimes I buy the book to see if it really is as BAD as the movie may have made it look.

In any event Jurasic Park turned me onto the writings of Michael Crichton.  I bought a copy of Planet of The Apes after the Burton film came out.  I read Dangerous Liasons after seeing Cruel Intentions.  I hate jumping into things in the middle otherwise I might have tried to find some Blade comics after seeing that movie.  I've been trying to find News From The Edge ever since The Chronicle started on the Sci-Fi Channel.  I read Interview With The Vampire when I saw they were making a movie of it.  For that matter I started reading American Detective Novels after reading Sorcerer's Soul.

Am I the only one who's obsessed with studying source material like this?

Jesse

Ron Edwards

I believe I have just hijacked the thread, which I am always on others not to do.

In answer to Jesse, your behavior isn't ... WEIRD, but it doesn't reflect the typical market/population response to the movie, again, regardless of whether the movie is good or bad. (It's my behavior too - for instance, I'm reading a lot of Russell Banks at the moment, only because I saw Affliction and The Sweet Hereafter.)

I respectfully submit that we take it to private e-mail, which is where I should have started it anyway.

Best,
Ron

Laura Bishop

On 2001-08-30 14:04, jburneko wrote:

Am I the only one who's obsessed with studying source material like this?

No, no: I do this too.  I usually try to catch the book before the movie if I can ("We're going to see it Friday?  It's Tuesday?  That's more than enough time for me to pop down to the library and...").

I too read Interview because of Tom Cruise's appearance, and Cold Comfort Farm for Kate Beckensale's.  On whether or not it would help roleplayers as Ron was discussing, I don't know if I totally agree with him.

No, in the short term, a cool movie based on an RPG wouldn't send dozens of Roxy/Quicksilver clad youths into their FLGS -- but, I have seen -- or at least personally experienced -- a lessening stigma where comics > movies are concerned.  My family doesn't look at me so odd if I'm reading X-Men now ("Oh, like that movie with Picard?").  I even hold hope that I can turn a few heads when they make the sequel (because, hell, what kind of set up was that ending if not for a sequel?).  You like Professor X, Little Timmy?  Well, here, read this.  This is the Prof doing some madcrazy in space with these dudes called the Starjammers.  It's cool.  And who knows what effect the Star Wars/Star Trek genres have had on their roleplaying numbers.  I know at least one girl who thought roleplaying was "weird" and "sort of nerdy" until she found out she could basically be Dianna Troi.  Her entire opinion changed in a single breath.

Overnight?  No, we won't see a change.  But I think over time, if we keep working towards "legitimizing" this form of entertainment and taking it away from the anti-social geek stereotype, someday we could see an increase in numbers from a well executed movie.

Laura Bishop

Oh.

Um...

Yay, minis! = )

*looking cute*

-- L

jburneko

On 2001-08-30 14:31, Laura Bishop wrote:
Oh.

Um...

Yay, minis! = )

Here I'll at least start bending this back in the right direction.  Even though I'm not much of mini fan in general, unless the rules are pretty much unplayable without minis (D&D3E, Deadlands somewhat), I DO like to collect them if I like the product line.  I have all the 7th Sea minitures even though I never use them in play.

Because minis seem unnecessary in Little Fears if a mini line were started I would play up the collectable aspect more than the gameplay benefit aspect.   But that's just me.

Jesse

Devil's child

It seems to me that the ones that want the minis have not read the book, or understood it.  The Kings are ones to never show their true identity in the real world.  They take over individuals, and then the individuals display the aspects of the Kings.  Minis of the Kings should only be used in Closetland.  If the minis are infact used though, the players have failed in playing a real game.  Any child would tell you, that if you face the King, you are lost.

Minis would only distract from the game.  Pic's are enough.  If anything is needed more, different pics of the Kings.  Maybe more info on their habits would be nice to.  But if the game turns out to produce as many source books as needed in SR or VTM, I'll be really upset at Key20.
I am the Devil's Child.  Sometimes even I get scared of the Dark.