News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

"Dread"ing cut-scenes

Started by Demonspahn, November 26, 2002, 04:56:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demonspahn

Hi everyone.  Recently Mike Holmes brought up the interesting use of cut scenes http://www.indie-rpgs.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4358>here to help with a game mechanic problem I've been having.

Maybe because I have been reading the material and putting an adventure together for it, but it seems like cut scenes would work perfectly for a game like Dread.  It seems like the perfect way to really showcase some demonic evil and add in some backstory, depth or subtle clues/hints that the players normally wouldn't be privy to.  

I haven't actually played or run the game yet so I was wondering (from Rafael and from those of you who had) how well you think this would work.  

Pete

Andrew Martin

Quote from: Demonspahn...but it seems like cut scenes would work perfectly for a game like Dread.  It seems like the perfect way to really showcase some demonic evil and add in some backstory, depth or subtle clues/hints that the players normally wouldn't be privy to.  

... how well you think this would work.  

Hi, Pete.
I think cut scenes work very well in games that are intended to look like a movie. They're a technique used in WEG's TORG, and I enjoyed them as a player and GM. They're great, because the players are also like the audience of a movie; they need to know what the "bad guys" are doing.
Andrew Martin

contracycle

I've used it, it works fine unless you have individual players with difficulties dividing between self and character, otherwise I think it really helps with keeping everyone on the same track.
Impeach the bomber boys:
www.impeachblair.org
www.impeachbush.org

"He who loves practice without theory is like the sailor who boards ship without a rudder and compass and never knows where he may cast."
- Leonardo da Vinci