News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

New Games?

Started by Jason L Blair, December 09, 2002, 09:23:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jason L Blair

Clinton,

Hey, man. As you probably know, I'm a big fan of what Anvilwerks has put out so far but I'm curious as to whether you have any other products in the works.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Clinton R. Nixon

Jason,

I'm about 25% done with my next game right now, and expect it to be out in spring 2003. I haven't written up a press release or anything, so let me try right now:

Riptide: Roleplaying in a Fantastic Yesterday

Imagine that magic really existed - not that wham-bang fireball stuff, but subtle and invisible, an extension of your self. Imagine being a teenager and finding out that you could use this power, that you were part of a secret society within society.

Then imagine partying for four years at America's premier school of magic, Riptide High in beautiful Monterey, CA. Imagine 1988 as it never was: beers on the beach, a joint under a shady tree, making out in the back of an Oldsmobile, and surfing the Pacific waves, water at your feet and magic in your hands.

Riptide is a role-playing game for beginners and experienced role-players alike. It does a lot of that White Wolf "rename-everything" crap, so if you don't like that, you won't like this. If you do, though, fill out your character's Permanent Record with his Grades and Classes Taken, and rock out like it's 1988 all over again.

---

There you go, Jason. There's a lot more to the game - the experience mechanic I have makes me salivate - but that's the gist of it. I still haven't gotten any artists, though - the current economic slump is hurting me. I'm hoping to have a job by the time the text is done, and will get art while it's being playtested.

After Riptide, I actually have my next two games planned: Paladin 2nd edition - it needs a re-write - and Thief of Fate, a Fortune-less game about - what else - thieves.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonI still haven't gotten any artists, though - the current economic slump is hurting me. I'm hoping to have a job by the time the text is done, and will get art while it's being playtested.

Clinton,

Why not just drive/fly down to Montery with a camera and take snaps? I mean, you'll need to clear it with any high school adminstration should you choose to take pix of high schools/students (eeek...creepy camera creep on campus!) but hey, there's your art budget right there...

- Jared
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Jared,

I'm been seriously considering that option. I just used Monterey in that as a placeholder while I come up with a better name for the fictional town that will be a cross between Monterey and Santa Cruz. I'll probably need a nice vacation this spring, anyway, so I might well get my ass down there and take some pictures.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jason L Blair

RIPTIDE sounds pretty sweet. I'm looking forward to it.

As far as city name, how about Santa Rey or Mont Cruz? I was going to suggest Montecruz, but that sounds like a Mexican ruin.
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Spooky Fanboy

As you are by now probably aware, I'm making it my personal mission to go up and down these forums, look for info on new games, encourage the creators to create said new games as soon as humanly possible, and offer what I a can in the way of speeding things along, like any helpful advice or offers to playtest.

Here I go again.

Riptide sounds kinda sweet. I've been dying for a game that mixes magic in with the everyday without being "otherworldly", but just part of the scenery. There was a game like that out way back when, but it did magic all wrong: too D&D. So, please no spell lists, but hopefully the magic will coexist comfortably with the setting without threatening to take it over.

So, how does magic stay just as a useful tool? What can/can't someone do with it? How pervasive is it?

And, of course, are you in need of playtesters?
Proudly having no idea what he's doing since 1970!