News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon 2003: thread #1

Started by Ron Edwards, February 01, 2003, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Ron EdwardsThat means directing people who might be interested toward them and being willing to sit in on a demo if an extra person is needed.
I dunno, Ron. I have to actually play in some RPGs? I might get stuck playing with Blair again. Talk about your onerous duties.

;-)

Um, kidding aside, I wonder what my particular talent is. I feel a bit like Mr. Miller in that I worry that I scare people more than attract them.

Or is Starchild going to be next door again, so I can resume my position as jam guitarrist! :-)

(I won't subject you to that again, I promise. Well, if you twist my arm...)

But seriously, folks, how do we make the position assessments? Is someone going to take a leadership role on that?

I think the plan sounds beyond excellent, and I look forward to seeing everyone again.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Matt WilsonI'm planning on being there, whether or not my stuff is ready for sale.

You ain't goin' there with me, Mr Wilson!  Who's gonna shine your shoes, fetch you ice water, and taste your food?

Seriously though, Ron, I'm in, too.  I'm a Mingler first, a Demo GM second, but never ever ever get me near a cash box.. I'm awful at sales. :)  Point me in whatever direction you need, and it'll get done.

QuoteA suggestion from a trade show perspective, just to mull around, is to have people working the booth get and wear Forge T-shirts from cafe press, so booth visitors know who they can ask about stuff.

I think that's an awesome idea, Matt!  

-j-

Mike Holmes

Yeah, wearing the shirts was bandied about last year, but didn't really get acted on. For those who don't have shirts for whatever reason, perhaps we can make up some sort of badge adjunct (like other booths have), or something even more noticeable to idenify our personnel.

But if at all possible, Forge wear!

(off to actually buy some...slink, slink)

Mike

Michael Hopcroft

Is there a link to where I can get the shirts? After I get my tax refund, I may buy two -- and then buy a couple of Seraphim Guard shirts from my own site to balance them out so I have enough clean T-Shirts for the con.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Clinton R. Nixon

Michael,

Click on the "About the Forge" link above, and scroll to the end of the page.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonMichael,

Click on the "About the Forge" link above, and scroll to the end of the page.

Any chance of getting the new logo on a shirt?  Its pretty nice :)

-j-

Clinton R. Nixon

Jeff,

Real Soon Now (tm). I'm working on integrating the URL with the logo somehow and not making it look like crap.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonReal Soon Now (tm).
Oh, sure, just toss me another reason to procrastinate indefintitely.

Mike

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Clinton R. NixonJeff,

Real Soon Now (tm). I'm working on integrating the URL with the logo somehow and not making it look like crap.
Cool, thanks Clinton.

-j-

Michael Hopcroft

A few more questions in preparation for sharing the Forge booth at GenCon.

1. How far in advance does Ron need to know about the room and my place in it? And will the bathroom be used for its intended purpose (bathing) or as storage for cold sodas and the like? I was told second-hand about complaints about "gamer funk" at my booth last year and I want to avoid that this time. Hopefully we will also be able to wake each other up in time to set up our booth even if we game far into the night.

2. What should we do about meals? I know nothing about the restaurants around the Convention Center GenCon will be using. Will some of us be chipping in on group meals, or are we all on our own? Can you get a decent gyudon in Indianapolis? How far away is the nearest White Castle, and can we bring White Castles into the dealers room for the booth tenants to share? (I had some White Castles with cheese on the bus ride from origins back to Portland at a stop in Indianapolis, and I believe!)

3. Does this hotel offer a free breakfast? 8^)

4. How does shipping to and from GenCon work? If I have my warehouser ship me my books before the convention, will they get to me the day we set up our booth? And how do I ship them back?

5. Are there any soft drinks, snack types or other foods unique to Indianapolis that I should try? 8^)

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Michael HopcroftAnd will the bathroom be used for its intended purpose (bathing) or as storage for cold sodas and the like? I was told second-hand about complaints about "gamer funk" at my booth last year and I want to avoid that this time.
Egads, I thought that was an urban myth! I'm sure Ron will prohibit this, but in case he does not, I'll personally invade the room, and clear the tub to allow for suitable gamer hygiene.

Gotta make the Convention safe for gamers.

Mike

Michael Hopcroft

Quote from: Mike Holmes
Quote from: Michael HopcroftAnd will the bathroom be used for its intended purpose (bathing) or as storage for cold sodas and the like? I was told second-hand about complaints about "gamer funk" at my booth last year and I want to avoid that this time.
Egads, I thought that was an urban myth! I'm sure Ron will prohibit this, but in case he does not, I'll personally invade the room, and clear the tub to allow for suitable gamer hygiene.

Gotta make the Convention safe for gamers.

Mike

It is NOT an urban myth. I used to run room parties at conventions, and the only way to keep our sodas cold was to put them in the tub and fill the tub with ice. The hotel nevber objected, but it made it kind of hard to take a shower.

Don't worry, these aren't party rooms and I have no plans of doing likewise at GenCon. Just wanted to make sure nobody else had similar ideas.

By the way, I once SLEPT in the bathtub during a con. Or tried to -- the things are not very comfortable for that purpose...

Ron Edwards

Hi Michael,

Ease up on the room anxiety, OK? Cleanliness, organization, etc, are all going to be handled as nicely as they were last year. No problems arose then, and we all arrived at the exhibitor hall smelling like ... like, um, normal people. (Metaphors failed me.)

As for getting up really really early, take it from me, booth setup is not a big deal every morning. We have a lot of people, we get into the hall at least an hour before all the con-goers do, and it works fine without having to get there at 5 or 6 or any crap like that.

Best,
Ron

Jürgen Mayer

Quote from: Ron EdwardsNo problems arose then, and we all arrived at the exhibitor hall smelling like...
... Indie Gaming Ninjas!
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

Michael Hopcroft

1. We're responsible for our own toiletries (soap, deodorant, shampoo, shaving cream, etc.), right? 8^)

2. I'm really wondering about food now. Where can we eat? Cons always make me hungry, especially hot dealers rooms, and I tend to eat like a hobbit in that setting.

3. Room service strictly cash, OK? 8^)

4. Do you have any idea how muhc the airport shuttles are going to be to this particular hotel? Taking public transit in a strange city is usually fairly awkward for me. I know it was in Columbus.