News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon 2003: thread #1

Started by Ron Edwards, February 01, 2003, 07:56:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Michael,

Ease up on the room anxiety, OK? Cleanliness, organization, etc, are all going to be handled as nicely as they were last year. No problems arose then, and we all arrived at the exhibitor hall smelling like ... like, um, normal people. (Metaphors failed me.)

As for getting up really really early, take it from me, booth setup is not a big deal every morning. We have a lot of people, we get into the hall at least an hour before all the con-goers do, and it works fine without having to get there at 5 or 6 or any crap like that.

Best,
Ron

Not having experienced the Forge experience last year, I'm just naturally full of these not-knowing-the-score questions.

Cleanliness and organization should be fine. I just hope I can be reminded to shower before every morning. I may NEED to be reminded, as I bathe at night and my usual practise when I get up in the morning is to throw on my clothes and go wherever I'm going. In this case, though, given the summer heat, morning showers are a MUST....
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Dan Geyer

Hey all;

We (Limestone Publishing) are interested getting on all this Forge booth action as well. All three of us are probably best at mingling and running games, though at least one of us is at least passable at getting people to approach a booth or making sales.

However, as others have suggested, if we're to discuss, promote, and run games other than our own, we need to have a working knowledge of those games in advance. In any case, we can officially add Limestone Publishing (Chain of Being and the supplement The Monster Cookbook) to the list of companies participating/products available there.

The flier/booklet is also a great idea we'd be glad to participate in that.

Ron, should we pay you now or later for the Exhibitor pass and right to sell the game, and how do we take care of this payment?
Dan Geyer
Limestone Publishing, LLC
http://www.limestonepublishing.com

The Monster Cookbook: A Guide to Monsters (& How to Turn the Fiercest Foes into Fabulous Feasts)

Ron Edwards

Hi Dan,

Payments are being accepted as of this week - Paypal is preferred, to sorcerer@sorcerer-rpg.com.

For everyone, the deadline is going to be more stringent this year because we have this flyer thing and other promo stuff to consider. I am going to say that the latest you can sign up is June 1st, that is, unless anyone gives me a good reason for why that would be stupid.

Best,
Ron

Andy Kitkowski

Damn.  I so wanna go to GenCON.  I wish you all well this year, and look forward to helping out another year.

In fact, I might make a clause like, "I'll only let myself go to GenCON when I've finally produced one or more of these game ideas I've been sitting on".  That will really light a fire under my ass.

Godspeed, gentlemen!
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Michael Hopcroft

I'm trying to figure out how to get my events registered. Since I'll be getting my badge from Ron, but I need to get my events into the process immediately, what is the best way to go about this?

Matt Gwinn

Considering that the game submission form was available before you could even order a badge I suspect you don't need one.  I would just download the submission form from the Gencon web site, fill it out and email it to them.  If you need a badge they will let you know.

You could always call them too.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Luke

I confess, this sounds brilliant.

Are forge-newbies welcome?

-L

Ron Edwards

Luke

Outstanding,

I would love to join in the fun. This sounds like an underdog dream come true.

So I admit to being a bit new at this. I've never been to GenCon before and I know very (very very) little about other rpgs. Of course, I am willing to learn.

I think my strength is demoing. I've been told that I am pretty good at it. And I know I am dismal as a point man or a closer. So put me in the middle!

Also, I would be happy to toss in a couple of extra bucks on top of the $100 fee to help with the booklet and/or poster-menu.

Indianapolis, huh?

-Luke

KeithBVaughn

Just an idea or two.

It might be worthwhile to chip in for a half page ad in the preregistration booklet or to have a bag stuffer for the gencon generic plastic swag bag that is given out every year. I favor the first idea as it builds up interest in advance and may mean the booth is on people's "Strike List" for the first day. Every game/company of those participating should get their game logo and a quick slug line to attract interest. It also may help convention buzz when people talk to each other.

Bag stuffers could contain a coupon for a percent off or a freebie to attract traffic. Some weird little thing could be the freebie if it's bought in bulk. I would suggest the "so gross it's cool" variety of freebie. Although this method can get a lot of mooches buzzing by.

In the past I have used a "Land's End" polo shirt with an embroidered company name on it and a pair of chinos to present a casual, professional appearance while remaining comfortable in the heat. A bulk order of shirts could cut down on prices. (two shirts, two pants; hang and dry in the shower on the day they're not being used.)

I won't be able to attend this year. My game: "Planets of Peril" will be in the playtesting stages by summer and I won't have the artwork done by GenCon. GC2004 should be looking much better for me.

Best of Luck,
Keith B. Vaughn
Idea men are a dime a dozen--and overpriced!

nerdnyc

What if I was selling gaming/nerd related t-shirt and buttons?
http://www.nerdnyc.com

I'm good at working a booth. I currently work at a library and have to speak knowledgeably about our collection. I used to work at a marketing firm, so I know all about making the sale.

I also have graphic design skill which can be put to use if we would make a catalogue.

I could work demos as well. I pick things up pretty quickly.
Aaron Brown
Nerd Herder
http://www.nerdnyc.com

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Selling accessories isn't going to be part of the booth. You're welcome, of course, to participate as a demo person and booth-worker, but the only sales at the booth will be of independent games.

Best,
Ron

Luke

...shame about Aaron's tees. They are stellar!  And Aaron is as indie as they come, and he loves games. But I do understand that the booth is for indie-rpgs, not for hot duds. Ah well.

In regards to promo items for the swag bag I have yet two more ideas!

4-Color 4x6 postcard/stickers. Very cheap to make, very easy to design, fairly fast turn around, and very easy to slip inside of books and bags. You can get 5000 postcards for under $350. So if a few people chipped in that becomes very cheap. The postcard could feature the Forge logo as the banner/masthead of indie-ness and then each game could have a nice clean, glossy full color logo underneath or on the back.

And as a second promo idea--now that I think about it, this is too wacky--what about Forge dice? Let's start branding! A nice fat, glossy d6 with the Forge anvil in place of the 1? Those would be great giveaways at the demos. People would remember us.

But we are having enough trouble with deciding on catalogue vs flyer, so I think I best just cool my jets.

One pertinent question: What happened to the big board/menu idea. Something to catch ye old eye of the passerby? I didst liketh this.

ahem.
-Luke

Michael Hopcroft

I can finally say my booth is secure. Now I just need to make sure I have new product to sell there....

A new question has been brought to my attention. The convention will take place during the school term. I can take my classes as long as I have some access to a laptop computer and some way to plug it into the Internet. Will this be possible at any point? Or would it be too big a distraction to everyone else in the room? (At the booth, of course, I intend to concentrate on business, and there are games I am scheduled to run).

Matt Gwinn

Michael,
I'm not sure how they worked it last year (or this year), but the year before Gencon had computers available to check your email.  During the day there was always a line and a time limit, but after 10 or 11pm they were completely free.

Also, most hotels have internet lines, but you will have to check with your hotel and see if there is an additional charge.

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com