News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

News!

Started by Ron Edwards, May 02, 2001, 12:53:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

Sorcerer went to print today.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Congratulations!
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Dav

Ahh, and now for the party! (what do you mean, no party?!)
(Why do I see everyone having fun over there?  Oh, a "meeting"... I see)

Dav

Seriously, wonderful news, I can't wait to buy one!

Ian O'Rourke

So roughly when does this mean my copy can start the long journey over the Atlantic?

(I really do hope that fancy jacket makes it over intact)
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

Ron Edwards

It's available in the first week of July, or planned that way, anyway. If that happens, then you order it from me, I send your order to the warehouser, he fills it, and then it's up to whatever entity handles mail across the big ol' ocean. Elapsed time? Hell, I don't know. I'm finding this out as I go along.

Faster would be simply to buy it from a store Over There, because I know that at least one UK distributor has expressed interest. But then you lose the benefit of your pre-payment, and I know you want that. Well, trade-offs abound in this life ...

Best,
Ron

Ian O'Rourke

The pre-payment is not so much a BIG issue, it was more how quickly I can get my hands on it :smile:
Ian O'Rourke
www.fandomlife.net
The e-zine of SciFi media and Fandom Culture.

james_west

I'm waiting until the book comes out to get my copy of the core rules ... thus displaying my prejudice for print & paper.

- James

james_west

So, is the print version still coming out early July?

If so, should I go kick my local game store to get them to order a copy?

What's the best way to get one's hands on it?

- James

Ron Edwards

Hi James,

Still on schedule, for the first week in July. There have been some delays, of course, but fortunately I factored in their possibility originally.

Ways to get the book:

1) Order from me at the website. If you do this, and IF you bought a PDF of it already, it will cost you only $10.

2) Bug your retailer. You may have to overcome some resistance: "Never heard of it," or "My distributor never heard of it," or something. Best-case scenario is, of course, that he says, "Hey! It just came in, in THIS box!"

Important information for your retailer:
- Alliance (a distributor) has it.
- The warehouser is Tundra Sales Organization.
- The agent (for all necessary info) is Liz Fulda, of Sphinx Group.

Also:
- The PRINT date is the first week in July. It will probably take a day or three to get to the warehouser. It then has to filter through the distribution system & all that. So setting it up with your retailer ahead of time might be a good idea.

Best,
Ron

james_west

1) Order from me at the website. If you do this, and IF you bought a PDF of it already, it will cost you only $10.

(!!!) I've been holding off on getting the core rules because I'm cheap and with the printed version coming out in a few weeks, I didn't want to buy the .pdf (!!!)

Do you have a preference? For instance, if you'd prefer that people buy it from stores so that distributors take you seriously, or something ...

Ron Edwards

Hi James,

People who buy the PDF are considered to have pre-paid for the book, although this is only logistically possible if they order the book direct (through the website).

As for the best means of getting the book (in terms of benefit to me), this is a tricky question. It was a big deal when creator-ownership of comics became a general reality in the early 90s.

Case 1: "If people aren't establishing demand at the stores, then the book won't get enough distributor-orders to cover the print run."

Case 2: "Ordering direct cuts out the middle-man and gets the publisher more profit per unit."

Both of these are ... sort of true. I kept my print run small to avoid the crisis of trying to move thousands of books at once, and I am not convinced that supply & demand really speaks loudly in the practices of RPG store management.

Obviously, each consumer needs to do what he thinks best (for instance, if you have a good relationship with your retailer, it might be nice to establish benefit for him, me, and you all at once, etc). Here's my call on the matter.

If you bought the PDF, then order direct. That way, you spent $20 on Sorcerer, as intended.

If you haven't bought the PDF, either of the following makes sense:

- If you want to advocate indie-games within the store & distributor culture, then bug your retailer until he orders it. (Start BEFORE the book appears, i.e. now).

- If you want to rebel economically against the store & distributor culture, then order direct.

Really, it isn't up to me to dictate consumer behavior. Either route benefits me.

Best,
Ron

jburneko

Question: Is the print version IDENTICLE to the pdf version or has there been any revisions made, even minor ones?

Just curious.

Jesse

Ron Edwards

Hi Jesse,

A fair number of revisions, most especially in:

- no railroading in the GM-prep section any more
- better and more accurate combat rules, with no more fudges or additions in the damage section
- many more examples throughout
- better descriptions of the rules, especially the "chaining" rolls stuff
- much more art
- some changes to demon abilities, especially tricky ones like Spawn

However, there aren't SO many revisions. I think it's changed for the better, but a lot of prose remains the same.

Best,
Ron

Uncle Dark

Congratulations, Ron.

When can we order the book?  Or did I just overlook the option last time I was over at sorcerer-rpg.com?

Lon
Reality is what you can get away with.

Ron Edwards

Hi Lon,

I'm holding off on putting an order button on the site until I actually have REAL LIVE copies of the book at the warehouse. I'm allergic to vapor-sales, so I decided not to have pre-orders or anything like that at the one-on-one customer level.

Best,
Ron