News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Alternate Kung Fu Setting

Started by Matt Gwinn, February 28, 2003, 12:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

Hey everyone,
I'm hard at work putting together what looks to be 24 to 32 pages
of new material for Kayfabe and I was thinking about adding a
small section on alternate settings for Kayfabe.

The primary setting I'm thinking of is an outerspace wrestling
promotion, kind of like the setting "Champions of the Galaxy"
uses.  Kayfabe's match rules lend themselves well to having
wrestlers with tenticles, tails, extra arms etc.

Anyway, I got to thinking about kungfu movies and how actors in
kung fu movies aren't hurting each other any more than wrestlers
are.  So, I thought, what if the characters in Kayfabe were actually
actors working for a low budget  film company out of China
instead of a wrestling promotion?  It probably won't translate
perfectly, but with a few rules modifications it could make for an
interesting supplement.

What do you all think?
Anyone interested in writing it?

,Matt Gwinn
Errant Knight Games
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Todd Bogenrief

1.  I'd like to say it sounds like a really good idea.  I have never heard of "Champions of the Galaxy".  Although I think I did see a really cheesy B-movie once that went on the concept of gladiators aboard some sort of arena space station.

2.  What kind of stuff are you thinking for the Kung-Fu? Are we talking running across tree tops and sorcery, or more down to earth stuff like the midair exchange of punches and kicks while leaping twenty feet? Can we get bonus heat for bad dubbing? :)

3.  I'll see if I can get some players together for a regular game or two of Kayfabe and then steer them into the idea of an outerspace wrestling promotion with tentacled, clawed, and wierd aliens, just because it sounds cool.
-Todd "Bogie" Bogenrief

Matt Gwinn

Champions of the Galaxy has been around for a while (10 years or more) and has an established fan following.  Up until Kayfabe came out it was considered to be the top wrestling game on the market.  It's really a card game more than an RPG, but I've never actually played it myself.  I've heard nothing but good things about it though.

QuoteWhat kind of stuff are you thinking for the Kung-Fu? Are we talking running across tree tops and sorcery, or more down to earth stuff like the midair exchange of punches and kicks while leaping twenty feet? Can we get bonus heat for bad dubbing? :)

I'm thinking things would be more down to earth, but the idea of incorporating "wire-fu" into the game would be cool.  Some kind sof magic might make its way in, but I'm aiming at low budget films.  I'm envisioning the game being about older Chinese films from the 70s and 80s as opposed to Americanized films like the stuff by Chuck Norris.   If anyone knows where I can learn about the behind the scenes process those films went through I would appreciate the help.

I'm really open to anything that people think would work, but I don't want to make anther Kung-Fu Action Theater.  There are plenty of standard Kung-Fu games out there.  

Someone once suggested I make Lap Dance: The Inside Stripper Game and start a whole series of "Inside" games.  Do you think that would sell?

And bonus Heat for bad dubbing is definetly a possibility :-)

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com