News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

# of review copies

Started by Paul Czege, March 03, 2003, 12:56:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Czege

Hey everyone,

This is a question for folks who gave out review copies of their printed games at conventions last year. As I go forward with plans for a small print run of My Life with Master, I find myself trying to anticipate hidden costs. Can you tell me how many copies you gave out to reviewers at each of the conventions last year? What about how many review copies you might have mailed out in hopes of provoking a review that way?

Thanks,

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jared A. Sorensen

I gave away one copy of octaNe  last year (a review copy for Ken Hite). The rest of the review copies were all in PDF form. Great way to save money.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Matt Gwinn

QuoteThe rest of the review copies were all in PDF form. Great way to save money.

I've given some thought to doing this for Kayfabe, but I'm concerned about whether or not sending someone a PDF will result in it being instantly deleted.  I know I don't open any email that has a file size over 50 unless I know who it's coming from.

I've tried sending out emails offering to send the PDF for review, but I never get any response.

how do you handle it Jared?

,Matt G.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Matt Gwinn
QuoteThe rest of the review copies were all in PDF form. Great way to save money.

I've tried sending out emails offering to send the PDF for review, but I never get any response.

how do you handle it Jared?

I always contact the reviewer first (in one case, an editor from SCIFI magazine -- but most often a website contect). Then (thanks to the RPG Bookshelf) I authorize them to download the games and I send them the pertinent info. on how to do so. They can download the games at their leisure. If they never do a review (this has happened about 4-5 times to me between this and last year), no sweat off my back.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

geekspeakweekly

As one of those lucky enough to get  a PDF from Jared I can say that our reviewers are always pleased with a PDF to review.  Sure it is cool to get a print version, but reviewing a PDF is just as good.  Any reviewer who is in this for anymore than free stuff will be happy to use anything that you can give them.  BTW you can look for a capsule review of octANE this week on Geekspeakweekly.com.  Not that there is anything wrong with free stuff.