News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The Forge bar is open

Started by Ron Edwards, April 03, 2003, 11:15:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Edwards

So what sort of mixed drink goes well with a given RPG? Please give full recipes.

Category A: real mixed drinks, such as a Cactus Rose (2 ox tequila, 1.5 oz Drambuie, 2 tsp lemon juice) for Dust Devils

Category B: invented ones! Such as "the Demon Gut" (1.5 oz sambuca, 0.5 oz tequila, drunk with lime and salt like a tequila shot) for Sorcerer

Best,
Ron

Matt Snyder

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Category A: real mixed drinks, such as a Cactus Rose (2 ox tequila, 1.5 oz Drambuie, 2 tsp lemon juice) for Dust Devils

Hell yeah! Also, if you're really, really feeling like a Devil haunted, Western scum, you can try a....

Prairie Fire: 2 oz tequila, 1-2 tsp tabasco sauce.

This drink is not for the faint of heart. Or anyone with a tongue. It did me in at my own college birthday bash. As I recall, I rocked on the bed after puking praying to "Chewbacca and the 12 apostles". Don't ask me, I was really, really drunk.
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

kregmosier

granted it's not a puppy-themed drink, but the title sounds like a prefered vehicle for KPFS characters:

Black Windowless Van
0.33 lb. Black Raspberries
0.44 lb. Vitamin C
2 tbsp. Brown Sugar
2 oz. Johnnie Walker Black Label Scotch
8 oz. Dark Rum

Drink Directions:
Blend and serve in a large glass or mug.

OR

Satan's Revenge
1/3 shot Tequila
1/3 shot Jack Daniel's
1/3 shot Goldschlager
5 - 7 drops Tabasco Sauce

Drink Directions:
Combine in sequence in shot glass, shoot.

fun topic!

-kreg
I wonder how the world sees us...
rich beyond compare,
powerful without equal,
a spoiled drunk 15 year old
waving a gun in their face.

"Long Long Time", Guy Forsyth

ethan_greer

While I have never played octaNe, I feel that a "Rule of Alcohol" could fit in nicely with the Rule of Rock N' Roll.

Perhaps a prefferred mixed drink for each role?

For D&D, I have found that mead (basically honey-based wine) works extremely well.  Unfortunately, I don't have a recipe for mead handy, and its not a mixed drink anyway.

lumpley

SCA mead:
1 a jar of honey
2 a gallon of water
3 a lemon, in chunks
4 a chunk of ginger, in small chunks
5 a packet of like champagne yeast

Boil 1-4, skim scum. Let cool. Add 5. Put in a (clean) 1-gallon apple juice jug. Rubber band a balloon over the top. After a couple days, pour into glass carbonated water bottles with screw-on lids. After a couple weeks, drink!

Also very good for Ars Magica, especially wiggly homebrew Ars Magica.

Chill the bottles before you open 'em. I've had bottles empty themselves onto the ceiling, like wooooooosh. Then all the mead rains down again, like pitapatapitapata. It makes an enormous mess!

Despite the occassion, I feel guilty of topic drift!

-Vincent

ThreeGee

Hey all,

Vincent, SCA mead... you're a crazy man. And that's one of the tamer drinks, if I recall correctly.

How have we missed the true ambrosia of gamers: caffeine? Jumper Cable = 2 oz Rum + Jolt. Mountain F*** = 2 oz Aftershock + Code Red. What game? Who cares! You won't, after a few of these...

There must be about a million drinks for Vampire. I forget how to make the local stuff, but here's Sangria: red wine + 1 c orange juice + 1 c lemon juice + 1/2 c sugar + 1 tsp cloves + cinnamon stick.

For White Wolf games played by Mc's everywhere, Irish Car Bomb = 2/3 pint Guiness draft + 1 oz Jameson's Irish wiskey + 1 oz Bailey's Irish cream, in that order & drink quickly.

Later,
Grant

Matt Machell

Real mead is definitely good, if any of you guys in the US can get Lindisfarne or Lurgashall on import, I highly recommend both.

Ideal for roleplaying is the aptly named, Hobgoblin (a beer produced by Wychwood)

-Matt

jburneko

It's funny you should bring this up.  I always start my RPG sessions by toasting "To The Game!" and sluging down a shot.  When playing D&D, I have the players respond, "To the Death!" and also take a shot if they want to.  Believe it or not this was a tradition started by my mother who GMed for me when I was kid.

Anyway, I like finding drinks appropriate to current game on the table.  My brief foray into Werewolf yeiled this drink:

Werewolf
Equal parts Drambuie and Jack Daniels

Stir, serve over ice.

Sadly, I have yet found a good drink for Sorcerer.

Also, if I forget to take my ceremonial shot my players ALWAYS remember and force me to do so.  They claim that I am less railroady and am more generous with the Drama Dice/Fate Chips/Story Points what have you afterwards.

Jesse

GreatWolf

Quote from: jburnekoIt's funny you should bring this up.  I always start my RPG sessions by toasting "To The Game!" and sluging down a shot.  When playing D&D, I have the players respond, "To the Death!" and also take a shot if they want to.  Believe it or not this was a tradition started by my mother who GMed for me when I was kid.

You know, that is really cool!

Mead also goes well with Rune, especially if you have a drinking horn.

Any Pendragon recommendations?  Nobilis?  Unknown Armies?  Just looking for ideas....

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

szilard

Quote from: GreatWolf

Any Pendragon recommendations?  Nobilis?  Unknown Armies?  Just looking for ideas....

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf

Unknown Armies:

The MakAttack
1. Tak an approximately half-finished soft drink (of your choice, but it should be caffeinated) from McDonald's.
2. Fill the cup the rest of the way with Ouzo.

Stuart
My very own http://www.livejournal.com/users/szilard/">game design journal.

greyorm

Quote from: ethan_greerUnfortunately, I don't have a recipe for mead handy, and its not a mixed drink anyway.
It is if you add blood, like you're SUPPOSED to! (says the Norseman)

Actually, Mead can be breweed with a variety of additional ingredients, spices, fruits:here's a couple recipes.

And you can always check out Mead Made Complicated on the science that is mead brewing.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Shreyas Sampat

Another Vampire drink, Assamite Blood:  Mix half a shot of vodka with an equal amount of grenadine.  I've never tried this; it  sounds vile.

taalyn

A changeling-y sorta drink I invented in High school in the 80s:

Dark Crystal
  Dark rum + Crystal pepsi (proportions to taste)

Of course, it'll be hard to get crystal anything right now, much less crystal gravy. (name that non sequitur!)

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Paul's Girl

Ok, I cheat a little. These are from crazydrinks.com but they fit so well...

For Kill Puppies for Satan
    Drink Name: Scooby Snack
    Drink type: Shooter

Ingredients:
    1 part coconut rum (I prefer Parrot Bay)
    1 part melon liqueur (Midori)
    splash of pineapple juice
    a bunch of whip cream[/list:u]Perfect for
My Life with Master, actually makes a brain.
    Drink Name: Bloody Brain

Ingredients:
    2/3 Peach Schnapps (or Vodka)
    Cream Liquer (any will do)
    Grenadine
    Lime Juice
    3 small stirring straws

Directions:

1) Take a shot glass and fill it up 2/3 way with either Peach Schnapps or
    Vodka.
    2) Top off with just a little lime juice.
    3) Take the three straws and place them together across the top of the shot.
    Like a bridge across the top of glass.
    4) Slowly pour the cream liquer VERY slowly between the straws so that what
    looks like a brain forms at the botttom of the glass.
    5) Finish shot off with a little Grenadine and allow it to fall to the
    bottom of the glass surrounding the "BRAIN". [/list:u]
Nicotine Girls, what else?
    Drink Name: Red Headed Slut

Ingredients:
    3/4 oz. Jagermeister
    3/4 oz. Peach Schnapps
    1 1/2 oz. Cranberry Juice

Directions: Pour equal parts of all three in a shaker over ice, strain, and then simply pour into shot glass and shoot! You may make this a mixed drink but only put a shot of Peach Schnapps and a shot of Jagermeister in and the rest Cranberry Juice all over ice.[/list:u]For
Octane
    Drink Name: Easy Rider
    Drink type: shooter

Ingredients:
    1/8 oz. Grand Marnier
    1/8 oz. Jack Daniel's
    1/8 oz. Triple Sec
    1/8 oz. Lime Juice
    1/8 oz. Amaretto
    2 oz. Orange Juice

Directions: Add ingredients to an ice filled shaker shake...shake and pour
    accordingly.[/list:u]And for
Dust Devils:
    Whiskey, neat[/list:u]
A haiku inspired by Gen Con 2002:

Oh, Great Bowl of dice
Unearth the die of my dreams
Wicked 12 sider

-D

Mike Holmes

In Madison, some of the Guy's would mix up what they called Jageritas, or Tequillameisters. You can figure it out. These had to be ristricted to post play because, as you might imagine the effect is somewhat like the description of the effects of a Pan-Galactic Gargle Blaster (being hit in the head with a brick with a lemon twist).

In Playboys' lists of top ten party schools they always include a footnote that says, "No schools from the state of Wisconsin has been included as this is a list of amatures, not professionals." Madison, and indeed Wisconsin, is a very strange place where drinking is concerned. It wasn't until I was in the army that I realized that drinking hard alcohol with every meal wasn't the norm everywhere. There are no alcoholics in Wisconsin, just citizens. Really. Being a "social drinker" around here would qualify you for alcoholism most anywhere else, with the possible exception of Germany.

My mother recently had to go off alcohol because she was on blood thinners. She commented to me, 'You know, it's not so bad not drinking all the time."

Yet, I'm the exception that proves the rule. I don't drink, and in fact have never been drunk (a point my wife disputes refering to a glass of wine I had in Paris once, after which she said I acted tipsy).  I go to restarurants here, and ask for lemonade. I often get the bewildered response, "would you like anything else in your lemonade?" When out of state, friends of mine oder pitchers for themselves leaving bartenders staring. Which is really strange to a Wisconsinite who will probably want to be going for one or more refills on that pitcher later. More if it's a guy.

Just thought I'd share.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.