News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What's the name of your computer?

Started by Christoffer Lernö, April 04, 2003, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christoffer Lernö

Have you named your harddrive(s)? Your computer? Does it still say "My Computer" on the desktop or does the poor thing actually have a name?

Me first:

Computer: "Yggdrasil"
Harddrive: "Jormungandr"

(it's a 12" iBook 800)
formerly Pale Fire
[Yggdrasil (in progress) | The Evil (v1.2)]
Ranked #1005 in meaningful posts
Indie-Netgaming member

Shreyas Sampat

My laptop is named Cassilda.  The desktop before that was either Cassandra or Callisto... yes, I do name my computers after women in Greek plays.
My sister named my mom's computer Walter a few months ago.

Ben Morgan

Okay, I guess I'm boring. My computer is still My Computer, and my two hard drives are System and Data (though it should probably more aptly be named Games, since that's the majority of what's on it).

-- Ben
-----[Ben Morgan]-----[ad1066@gmail.com]-----
"I cast a spell! I wanna cast... Magic... Missile!"  -- Galstaff, Sorcerer of Light

Jason Lee

The current Mac is named Penemune, the extra HD is named Azazel.
The old Mac is named The Duck.
The really old Mac is named Renfield

The PC laptop is named Elsa.
The old PC's HD's are named Hansel & Gretel.
- Cruciel

szilard

I used to have some floppy disks named Alvin, Simon, and Theodore...

Stuart
My very own http://www.livejournal.com/users/szilard/">game design journal.

Brian Leybourne

I have a variety of systems, named Grey Wind, Ghost, Summer, Lady, and Nymeria. The next one I buy will be Shaggy Dog, of course. I'm not quite sure where the names will go after that :-)

Brian.
Brian Leybourne
bleybourne@gmail.com

RPG Books: Of Beasts and Men, The Flower of Battle, The TROS Companion

taalyn

Orb. I have a thing for spiders...

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

ThreeGee

Hey all,

Computers must have names. How could someone neglect his (that's the gender unknown pronoun in English) computer so by leaving her (that's the personification pronoun in English -- nootch) unnamed?

My computer is Inferno, and my second computer, when I need a LAMP machine, is Spawn.

Later,
Grant

Mike Holmes

I've got G3 Baby! and Homey's Hardrive.

BTW, unlike here, most of my long time friends refer to me as Homey. As in Homey da Clown, or more appropriately as in "Homey don't play dat." An essentially Ironic monicker, because there is little that I don't play.

Made the more ironic because I resemble Homer Simpson in many ways, and I have a wife named Marjorie. Scary. No, I was not crazy enough to name my son Bart. Though he looks and acts like that already at the age of two.

Homey
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Adam

G3 at work: deadflag
Athlon at home: bblackheart
FreeBSD box back in Alberta: fuckinyoda
Linux router back in Alberta: taintedlove

Trevis Martin

My Mac is Keter (Crown)
My two Hard Drives are Chokmah (Wisdom) and Binah (Understanding)

(The supernal triad of the Kabbalist Tree of Life)

Trevis

wyrdlyng

My PC's name is Snorlax. Yes, like the Pokemon.

1. It has a shiny Snorlax sticker on it.
2. The loud hum of all the fans inside it lull me to sleep.
Alex Hunter
Email | Web

Andy Kitkowski

Heh.  I'm glad I'm not the only one.

Yeah, I've named all of my home PCs and servers after characters in The Tale of Genji. The ones that come up most are (like, if I retire one system and bring in another, I make sure at least two of the systems are named) Yuugiri and Oboruzuki.

-Andy
The Story Games Community - It's like RPGNet for small press games and new play styles.

Stuart DJ Purdie

Hmm.  Well, I don't name hard drives, because they are mounted in specific places (Yep, UNIX propellor head all the way).

So, in my room, I have

Bohr: pentium 266 for the floks
Columb:  Old 486-25
Dirac: main machine, K6-II 400
Einstein: Pentium 266
Fermi: SparcStation 4

At work, they have horribly functional names, which is good, otherwise I'd be all the way through Z and back round to G again.

Gibbs soon, when I can afford to populate a Tyan MP-X board (yummy!).

Oh, and there is wired, stoned, smashed and (soon) cracked, the student computing socities servers.

Chris Passeno

My PC is still My Computer

My Mac (built in 89): is called Macenstein cause it's a piecemeal project.  The hard-drive is called Alpha.