News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

What's the name of your computer?

Started by Christoffer Lernö, April 04, 2003, 11:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Spencer Jr

There are ladies present so I cannot tell you what I call my computer, especially when it gives me some sort of error message, loses the internet conection or, worse yet, pop-ups. Let's just say it's a bad word and leave it there. My computer has no other name.

Thomas Tamblyn

My PC is called Ash, after a vivid dream where I was some weird cyborg commando and my friend from real life(wose nickname is Ash) was in the dream - except they were my forearm mounted console (green text on black background) that exchanged witicisms with me.

Funnily enough my computer is a he but the friend is a she.

Hmm - that really sounds like a gamer dream doesn't it?

J B Bell

Sheesh, any computer running a real OS has to have a name.  :)

My Debian machine inherited the (now dear departed, destroyed by a lightning strike less than 100 yards away) my FreeBSD machine's name, "demiurge."  Joseph Campbell said of his computer many years ago, "It's like an Old Testament God--a lotta rules and no mercy."

The desktop machine, when it isn't also a server, is called archon.  I usually call any laptop I have (so far only loaners from various jobs) "sophia."

--JB
"Have mechanics that focus on what the game is about. Then gloss the rest." --Mike Holmes

Enoch

My newer computer is Enoch (P4 1.8ghz), my laptop is Sumomo (I forgot what processor it has).  My old computer is named Enclave (P3 800 mhz).  Soon I'll be building a junk pyle computer that I am thinking of naming Oscar.

I don't name my hard drive (probably will when I get two).  I do have a friend who has two hard drives one named Beauty and the other Beast.

-Joshua
omnia vincit amor
The Enclave

Anonymous

My machine is named Cthulhu (a celeron 667 oc'ed to 830)

My old machine was Azathoth. (An AMD K6-300)

arxhon

Hehe...i suck. I didn't log on before posting the above.

Sorry.

RobMuadib

Hi all

Ahh, a subject i can always babble about, my computer.

My computer is called Excalbur  :) "Behold, Excalibur - Sword of Power. Sword of king's since the dawn of time."
The latest incarnation Excalibur-Gamma.
The latest incarnation specs
Abit KR7A-133 RAID
AMD Athlon xp 1800+ (1.53Ghz)
640 MB Crucial/Micron PC2100
Geforce 3 TI 200 128MB
kinda cheesy 17" CTX VL710 monitor
Soundblaster Audigy (not the 2, don't upgrade sound card very often:) )
2x75GB Maxtor 7200 rpm 2MB IDE drives (named simply Disk1, Disk2)
Liteon 32x12x40 CDRW
Adaptec 29160N Ultra160 SCSI adapter
Quantum Atlas IV 9GB U160 SCSI Drive
Plextor Ultraplex 40x SCSI CDROM
Pioneer 6x SCSI DVD-ROM
SCSI Zip 100 external that is suprisingly reliable and pleasantly fast.
wouldn't mind getting one of them zip 750's for an upgrade. since I have like about 20 zip100 cartridges that I still use.

the plextor and Pioneer are actually in this little external SCSI case I bought a couple years ago ago.
Oh, and USR USB V.92 external Modem, USB hub, and a killer Saitek X36 USB joystick/throttle setup, a totally crosswired sound setup with a pair of Cambridge soundworks PCworks speakers and a set of Altec Lansing ACS 48 speakers. I want a set of those Klipsch Pro-media 400s, the ones that are like 400 watts RMS and like THX certified, even though it would probably knock the walls down in my room:)
Oh, yeah, got a Netgear 10/100 ethernet adapter for when i drag this beast up to my friends for a weekend of LAN gaming. Everytime i do it makes me think I like need to get a laptop. the damn tower on this thing is heavier than my monitor these days!

All stuffed into an old Inwin Q500 full tower case with far far to many fans in it. Recently upgraded to a Enermax 430W PS for it. Been using this case forever, It has fanholes drilled into the one side to cover my topmounted video card fan bracket deal, oh, and like has all rounded cables inside, in attractive reds, blues, and yellows. And has some cool GBU-24B/B laserguided bomb stickers that my friend gave me on it. This thing makes a hell of a space heater:)

It's getting a bit on the slow side lately, or something, next upgrade want to get like
NForce 2 MB, probably Epox 8RDA+,
AMD Athlon XP 2400+ (2 Ghz) or faster
1 GB PC 2700/PC3200 DDR SDRAM
ATI Radeon 9500 Pro 128MB

Want to upgrade to like a 19" CRT, even through LCD's are cool, they are expensive, and still not da shiznit for FPS.

Don't really need anymore HDD space, though I would love like a couple of 36 GIG U160 drives for like CD Burning, DVD-Ripping, and like a cache drive. or maybe try out that Serial ATA stuff with like a couple of 100 Gigs in a RAID array or something.

I am like an old school SCSI dude from back in the day (my original P133 had a 1GB SCSI HDD and like an 6x CDROM.) So this whole serial ata has kind of got me down, but U160 SCSI is still da shit, not to mention U320, plus like damn, i spent $200 on that damn Adaptec card, not gonna just ditch the SCSI tommorrow. :)

Anyway, thought I'd babble about my PC stuff, since I am like hardcore computer geek type.

:)
Rob Muadib --  Kwisatz Haderach Of Wild Muse Games
kwisatzhaderach@wildmusegames.com --   
"But How Can This Be? For He Is the Kwisatz Haderach!" --Alyia - Dune (The Movie - 1980)

GreatWolf

This is going to sound dumb, but I didn't know that you could rename "My Computer".  Got me a laptop through work, though, which is my personal deck, so it needs a name.  Maybe Wintermute....

And my home PC's hard drive is named HAL.

Seth Ben-Ezra
Great Wolf
Seth Ben-Ezra
Dark Omen Games
producing Legends of Alyria, Dirty Secrets, A Flower for Mara
coming soon: Showdown

Ron Edwards

Until one minute ago, I had absolutely no idea that anyone ever named his or her computer by retyping the "My Computer" label. It never occurred or even almost occurred to me.

Seriously.

Best,
Ron

Jason L Blair

My production/office PC (the one I made Little Fears on) was named "Dai Oni" before *snif* it passed on.... My G3 is named "Smilin' Jack" and my laptop is "The Bogeyman." I haven't renamed my computer at work but I call it "Dumfukn Summonabich."
Jason L Blair
Writer, Game Designer

Adam

Quote from: Ron EdwardsUntil one minute ago, I had absolutely no idea that anyone ever named his or her computer by retyping the "My Computer" label. It never occurred or even almost occurred to me.
That's not what we're talking about, Ron - or, at least, not what I'm talking about - all computers with a TCP/IP stack installed have some sort of semi-unique name to identify it on a potential network. Most modern Windows installs just generate a random name based [IIRC] on the initials of the person registering it.

Jason Lee

Quote from: AdamThat's not what we're talking about, Ron - or, at least, not what I'm talking about - all computers with a TCP/IP stack installed have some sort of semi-unique name to identify it on a potential network. Most modern Windows installs just generate a random name based [IIRC] on the initials of the person registering it.

It's been sort of standard Mac user behavior for ages to name the HD the same thing as the hostname.  At least in my neck of the woods.  Windows users aren't so consistent...(goad, poke) :)
- Cruciel

Adam

Quote from: crucielIt's been sort of standard Mac user behavior for ages to name the HD the same thing as the hostname.  At least in my neck of the woods.  Windows users aren't so consistent...(goad, poke) :)
No poking at me - I'm a multi-OS whore, thankyou. *grin*

Fade Manley

I named my computers after my favorite NPCs. So the desktop is Edward and the laptop is Xalienci, God bless their black little hearts. I figure it's appropriate enough; just like my NPCs, I love and traumatize and torment the computers.

Clinton R. Nixon

My computer's name is Svetlana (although, to be honest, her hostname is just 'anvilwerks' and I call her 'Sveta' normally.) She's a cold Slavic girl on the outside, but hot and sexy once you get to know her.
Clinton R. Nixon
CRN Games