News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

24 Hour Game

Started by philreed, April 08, 2003, 10:01:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jonathan Walton

Full agreement with Michael, though I'd like an idea about when everyone's going to do theirs, so I could aim for the same time period.

philreed

Quote from: anonymouseWhen you begin work on your project, post to the thread. Then, within 24 hours, post the link to it (you're right in that we don't have to centralise distribution).

I guess at that point, we really don't even need a specific start-time. How about designating what's left of April as 24-Hour RPG Month? ;) Pick a 24 hour period, write your thing, post a link.

This sounds perfect to me.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

James V. West

I'm in! I'm in!

I can't believe this thread was here! I kid you not when I say I was typing up a suggestion for exactly the same thing to post here!

I dont' know if any of you have done it before, but I took the 24 Hour Challenge a couple of years ago. WOOOHOOO! It's a liberating experience.

No one has ever seen the book before now... but it will be available from me in print in a matter of, say, a week.

Now, as far as the rules go for this project I think I dig them all. Most importantly:

1) No pre-conceptions. Excercise your creative muscles under pressure! Obviously this will be an honor system rule.

2) No help from anyone else.

3) Must be completed, packaged, and ready to play within 24 hours.

Coolness.

If I don't have to work, I might be up for this on this coming Saturday.

Jeph

I'm definitely in. But two problems.

*I won't have access to a computer Saturday.
*I have no. fricking. Idea. at. all. about how to put ANYTHING on the web.

If those two bugs are flyswatted, I'm in!
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

anonymouse

Well, I think I'll start mine Friday evening (maybe 8p-9p PST); I'm not working on Saturday, but am Sunday, and would prefer to get some sleep beforehand. ;)

I've got a great idea for a 24 hour game now, since my first thought on reading the thread was, "Well, what would I do for that kind of thing?" Except now I can't use it. Augh. ;)

Jeph: it's pretty easy. Head over to Geocities or Yahoo or somewhere else with some free web-space, sign up for a page, and follow the directions. Maybe setup your web-space now so that, when you're ready to post, you don't lose an hour trying to figure stuff out. ;)
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

MPOSullivan

well, i may be jumping the gun, but i was hit with an idea earlier this evening and i don't want to wait and let the game settle in my head too much and ruin the fun for me.  i've just sat down and sifted through some notes to start creating a game.  hopefully it won't be a complete piece of shit when i'm done in twentyfour hours.  my start time is 12.30 am eastern standard.  maybe have a new game for you guys tomorrow.

see what happens when a lurker actually pops his head up?

laters!

-m
Michael P. O'Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
Criminal Element
Desperate People, Desperate Deeds
available at Fullmotor Productions

iago

It's my great curse that for NaNoWriMo style stuff (which I see this as a variety of), I'm never available during the time period it's occurring in.  This weekend is a bad weekend for me, and if I don't eat a weekend day doing it, I'm cheating myself of continuous time to work on the project.

Maybe I'll be a very-late entrant sometime next week. :P

philreed

I wish I could do mine today but I have too much work and a convention Saturday. Maybe I'll get to mine Sunday but it's more likely to be the next weekend.

And to the currently working designer, I hope things are going well for you.
------------------------
www.roninarts.com

Jonathan Walton

JEPH: If you let me know when your game is going to be done, and email it to me, I can make sure I'll be home in time to post it for you.  And, with the current guidelines, you don't have to do it on Saturday.  Just pick a day.

To everyone else, bring the pain!  I'm going to do mine sometime this weekend or early next week (skipping all my classes for a day).  Now, I just have to NOT think about a concept until then.

Mike Holmes

This all has my juices going for my next Iron Game Chef competition. Look for it early next month. I am giving some real consideration to the subject matter already.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

iago

Quote from: Mike HolmesThis all has my juices going for my next Iron Game Chef competition. Look for it early next month. I am giving some real consideration to the subject matter already.

Mike

Iron Ref!  Love it.  Cooked up a little CGI that, among other things, pulls the GURPS catalog listing.  Genre clash, ho!

http://www.iago.net/ironref/

Jeph

Jonathan: Thanks! I'll probably do it sometime next weekend, as I'm away this Saturday, and have a game on Sunday.
Jeffrey S. Schecter: Pagoda / Other

MPOSullivan

okay, after pulling an all-nighter, the core of the game is complete and i've laid out a cover for it.  i've written the majority of the text, coming in at ten single spaced pages, all very economic, with very little in the way of flavor text and the like.  i've found during this experience that going through this forces you to get every idea you have on the table in one shot and can maybe inprove the creative process by using it as a starting point, going back the next day and refining things from there.  

while the game isn't done yet, i think i've run into a problem.  how should i post this sucker?  i don't have a website to plug it into or anything.  should i just get a quick angelfire one and put it on there?  suggestions are greatly appreciated! ;-)

now i'm just working out the kinks and it should be ready to go tonight.  Mind you though, i've pulled an all-nighter on this and am still going so typos will be present and play-testing was non-existant, so please be gentle.  ;-)

Laters,
 -michael

...still trying to figure out why his computer doesn't want to convert this damned file over to PDF...
Michael P. O'Sullivan
--------------------------------------------
Criminal Element
Desperate People, Desperate Deeds
available at Fullmotor Productions

iago

Well, I think I'll try it today.  I'm sick and holed up and home and feeling poorly enough not to be able to exercise my job skills (coding), so this may well be a hoot.  Good thing I tend to be able to write and think about gaming in my sleep, but we'll see if this project fails due to the drugs kicking in or not.  Altered state game design -- wave of the future.

Start: 1pm Pacific, 9 Apr 2003.

iago

Quote from: Zathreyelwhile the game isn't done yet, i think i've run into a problem.  how should i post this sucker?  i don't have a website to plug it into or anything.  should i just get a quick angelfire one and put it on there?  suggestions are greatly appreciated!

I've created this:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/24HourGames/

Feel free to join and use it to post your PDFs, folks.  I'll make the group as open to the world as I can manage.