News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

The game formerly known as Aisling

Started by taalyn, April 10, 2003, 12:27:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

taalyn

Hey y'all,

As I've been typing up the mechanics, and also working on a setting timeline, I've realized that Aislng is too culturally biased. While there are certainly Celtic varieties of Otherworldly beings, there are also Native American, Hindu, African, Asian, and others present. So I want to give it a new name, and replace the few terms I've borrowed from Irish.

The basic premise, as I've mentioned before, is the conflict between human, fae, and breed, particularly in environmental regards. The "good" fae feel that they can solve the problems only with humanity's help, since humanity created most of the problems to begin with. They want to get back to a proper raletionship with us. Historically, the Otherworld (aka the Tell, a borrowing from Irish "an t-saol" or the world) and This world are obligated to each other. We provide them the means to solve problems and the energy to maintain abundance there, and they do the same for us, and on both sides it's been particularly important in war and conflict (we're not as different as we'd like to think!).

The "bad" fae are against humanity, and think we should be put down. We have violated the compact and ignored our duties so long that no reparations can be made, in their eyes. They take their anger and hatred out on us, and anyone who sides with us. Occasionally they'll work with humans, but only if they're particularly hating individuals whose aims further "bad fae" goals.

And there's the "wild" fae, who have decided that reality and the world changes, and you have to change with it. Sure, they may have once had a compact with us, but we don't anymore. There may have once been thousands of miles of forest to live in, but now there are very few places - it's adapt or die, baby. They try in general to stay out of all the arguments, and tend to avoid humans in general just because of the complications we introduce to their lives.

Players can be human Awakened (in this version of the rules), or some kind of Otherworldly being (slated for either a sourcebook or the next version upgrade). Stories will obviously tend to focus on the interplay between the various factions and human society.

So, with that background, anyone have some non-cultural specific terms for the following ideas? I'm open to culturally specific terms, if I can get terms that come from all over and thus introduce a sense of internationality to the game. Imagine a mix of Charles DeLint, Clive Barker, and Robert Holdstock. There are a few terms I like as they are, but I'm open to other suggestions.

What I want a new term/name for:

Aisling
   Seelie
   Unseelie
   Fianna
   Fae, Faery
   Otherworldy being in general (they're not all fae)
   Otherworld (I just need a bunch of names for it)
   Thisworld
   Seanchaí / GM
   Courts- a generic name to cover the "factions"

What I'm happy with, but won't say no to more:

the Tell (the Otherworld for any particular Reality - there are many)
   the Untell (this world)
   the Forest at the Beginning, the primal reality that underlies all of them
   Guardian, or the people (human or fae) who dedicate themselves to guarding over the metaphysical environment of a particular area, ensuring that fae don't kill or mess with humans and vice versa

Need a term but haven't a clue:

the border between worlds
   the many-realities theory: each reality is Reality-prime to a number of other realities. The farther you go from this, the greater the difference between this reality and the other. An extremely close reality might differ only by the month Octember, and a distant one might only be populated by Smurfs (which is smurfy, but not all that close) or other hyperintelligent shades of blue.

Your ideas are immensely appreciated in advance.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Lance D. Allen

I say keep the cultural denotations and name. Give the "default" setting the same Irish feel, but make it known that people can play whatever flavor of game they want.

It's unique the way it is, and if something is unique, without being bizarre, or different only for the sake of being different, then it adds something to the game.

But this is just one (forceful) gamer's opinion.

-One (1) vote to keep Aisling
~Lance Allen
Wolves Den Publishing
Eternally Incipient Publisher of Mage Blade, ReCoil and Rats in the Walls

anonymouse

I'm with Wolfen; it's pretty okay the way it is. Cultural bias isn't necessarily a bad thing in game design, anyway. You could maybe come up with alternate lists for different cultures and slip 'em in the book's appendix, but as the only cultures I have any real knowledge of are long dead, someone else will have to help with that. ;)

However..

Quotethe border between worlds
I'd call it the Pale.

Quotethe many-realities theory
Something to do with mirrors. I kept thinking of "the Mirror Trick"; you know, set two mirrors facing each other, then try and peek in at the corner without obstructing the view..
You see:
Michael V. Goins, wielding some vaguely annoyed skills.
>

Valamir

IMO half the appeal of an "otherworldly" game is the flavor of it, and I'm a big fan of having that flavor reflected in the game itself.  If you "deculture" the text I think you rob it of a great deal of appeal.

My preference would be to keep the core of the game celtic-ish, but keep an eye on areas where other cultureal variations would have a slightly different approach, and save it for a mini supplement that keeps the same basic rules but assigns new flavor terms to the different features and maybe slightly different ways for them to interact.

Generifying the terms and the background flavor would be very disappointing for me.

szilard

Hmmm...

The problem with genericizing it is that you then have no cultural reference rather than too specific of one. Since everyone is culturally embedded, it is unlikely that anyone would use generic terms. Thus, the terms you describe things in out-of-game wouldn't be used in-game. That seems clunky.

My suggestion? Keep the cultural references, but make it clear that they are cultural names and that other cultures use different ones. Give some alternate examples, but stick with the ones you are most comfortable with throughout the text. If you want to include variations between cultures, put them in a separate chapter or an appendix. Make it clear when the Celtic references are actually more than name-deep.

Stuart
My very own http://www.livejournal.com/users/szilard/">game design journal.

Mike Holmes

Hmmm. I want to dissent with the crowd here. That is, I think that one can come up with a background that's got all original terms, and is not beholden to a particular cultures norms. But the problem becomes one of Suspension of Disbelief. That is, where are the terms coming from? I assume that they're "our" terms for "them", and as such, you'd expect that we would have terms for them over the years. That the celtic "fae" is the word they used to describe these creatures no matter how pan-cultural they may be.

So what I'd do is this. Make your description from a particular POV. Call the section in which you define all these things, The Book of the Fae, or something. Therin, describe the creatures in celtic terms. Then, when you get to the rest of the text of the game, drop out of that pretense, and define things more concretely. Stick with the terms, but make it clear that they are only used for convenience. Thus:

Fae - as described in The Book of the Fae, these are magical creatures from the Otherworld that are played by the characters. Known in other cultures as sprites, boggins, giants, elves, goblins, trolls, oni, nymphs, and a plethora of other names, these creatures all share a magical origin...

That sort of thing. Then:

Unseelie - those fae that are ill tempered.

Or whatever your definitions are. The point is to set up the flavor from a particular culture's POV, but then to allow players to define their character's in any old way they choose, using human terms to describe them only as they see fit. That way, one gets the idea, but can play it out without being tied to cultural ideals.

I feel I'm being a bit muddy. Does the idea come across?

Mike

Edited to note that this is pretty much just backing up what Stuart said.
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Hamshrew

Keep the names Celtic... most associate the Fae with them, so it's less confusing.  You might want to mix in a few terms for things that don't have names in the Celtic form, though... and explain some of the other terms that other cultures have.  I always like a game that has 'flavor,' so long as it doesn't get in the way of understanding the mechanics.
Andrew Williams

"Say something witty here."

Grey Lotus - http://www.greylotus.org

taalyn

I understand the point about "cultural embeddedness". I am also one of those fans of cultural flavor (the only thing I like about WoD). So, I like the idea about using the terminology as a "placeholder", and I can deal with that.

Two things still really bug me though.

1. Aisling - Something more generic would be nice. I suppose it will work, as it's been following me around and been in development for a couple of years at least. This is probably my indecision striking here.

2. I really don't like the Seelie/Unseelie/Fianna terms. Yes, they've been used forever, and so people would understand what they were basically about. However, the terms have been used to mean different things than I mean them (Unseelie Fae are not "bad",  they're just democrats - liberals - republicans - insert-your-political-opponent-here with particularly intense solutions to the problem). They've also been coopted by Changeling: the Colon-ized. I think my game is significantly different (even if it does have fairies and such), and don't want this as a point of similarity.

So, anyone have ideas for them?

Or am I just taking it too personally?

At any rate, I'll keep the majority of terms (including the Pale and some variation of Mirror Trick - thanks anonymouse).
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

MathiasJack

While I agree with the general tone of the above replies, I want to make a distinction here. So far, it appears everyone is for culturally embedded terms. So am I. Those terms in this instance appear to be of Celtic nature due to the fae flavor of this game. And I love them all, loving all things fae and Celtic myself. Yet Celtic terms and our human view of the fae come from our human perspective and our human culture.

There is nothing wrong with flipping that. Take the terms from the fae perspective. Maybe they don't even call themselves fae. Rewrite the mythology from the Others' perspective. Have them maybe even recognize what the silly human's call them, but that it is either outdated, one faction of human-loving Others, or just plain wrong. Supersede your in-game culture over that of what the humans know. As a human character, you're entering not only a new world of beings and magic, but of culture as well.

I liken this to de Lint, Neil Gaiman's "Neverwhere" and "Sandman" or Clive Barker's surrealist worlds in many of his books. They hint of something us humans know and think we're familiar with, but completely steal the mythos for themselves, not just changing what names we thought something was called, or the way something might act or look like, but the entire cultures become something new, something the fae have always been to us humans - magical.
Mathias the Jack
Trickster, Hero,
Sage Scholar

taalyn

Ooh! Perfect!!!!

Thanks MJ, that's exactly what I'll do. Being a conlangers (people who construct languages for fun), this gives me plenty of room do so. I see a meld of English words (since the game is in English) mixed toegether in "strange" ways, with an archaic feel. Using the word Yliaster (from medieval alchemy) for Ki/Qi/the Force, for example. I can see slithy Borogrovian words already....

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

Thomas Tamblyn

I definitely think you should stick with the celtic words as a default and then explain other culture's 'fae' in terms of that.

On the other hand you seem quite entheusiasticfor MJs method.

Quote from: TaalynI can see slithy Borogrovian words already....

Excellent!  As a thought, why not liberally rip off Lewis Carrol - he's a great source of gibberish words that sound 'Right' and his stuff works marvelously for an otherworldy feel.

Some name ideas (mostly poor but just in case...)
barrier between worlds - the deepest moat.
Many realities theory - Facets of the world crystal?  Branches of the world tree?
Otherworld = Elsewhere (a personal favourite of mine and title for a game I SWEAR I will finish one day)
Wild fae = Dancers - or some permutation of it. (don't know why, but feels right to me)
(some celtic ones you probably don't want but I thought I'd throw out anyway inm case you change your mind)
Fae = Sidhe
Good fae = Elohim
Bad fae = Bahn Sidhe

MathiasJack

Thanks for your enthusiasm for my idea, using cultural terms is what I am attempting to do with my game on the wiles of Fate, Free Will and Fortune. I've enjoyed reading how your mechanic with the stones is working out, I have been brainstorming on a system that uses three stones rather than 7 with 3 cherries.

And of course, how far you take your terms/culture from that of humanity creates much of your games flavor and context. Is it like Neverwhere or Lewis's works which seems to play or twist or reverse what is simply taken for granted in our daily lives, what I would almost call nonsensical? Or is it bizarre and surreal, like Barker's Imago, what I would call alien, as in the way alienist was the original word for psychologist?

Maybe, do both. The nonsensical could be the human-loving Others, using metaphor and dream-image language to express terms and meanings the human mind doesn't quite grasp. The human-hating Others use their original tongue, not caring that humans won't understand what they mean. The friendly metaphoric words act as the in-game definitions for the terms used by the unfriendly Others. And lastly, keep the mysterious Others as that - mysterious. If forced to conduct business with either the lovers or the haters or even humans themselves, they would disparagingly use the recognized terms. But maybe they are a bit more wild, more primal, closer to whatever makes magick "tick".
Mathias the Jack
Trickster, Hero,
Sage Scholar

Green

taalyn> I like where you are going with this.  Keep it up, and you might create a game about the fae that people from non-Celtic heritages can enjoy.  If you don't mind, could you send me a RTF file of what you have so far?  I really like what you've done, and I would love to playtest it.  Who knows.  It might even replace Changeling.

taalyn

Green,  thanks for the vote of confidence! Unfortunately, I've got at least a month more to go, and considering that I'll be finishing my masters in Celtic langs during that time, it may take longer. ;) I will definitely want to have folks here at Forge playtest it, though, so I'll keep you up to date.

MJ, you're just perfectly sparking off all my inspiration buttons. Thanks.

Thomas, I do like Elsewhere and Dancers, but detest Elohim. But then, I have an idea about the real life meaning, so I'm biased.

Thanks all of you for your continued ideas - they're helping to keep me focused, which is really nice.

Aidan
Aidan Grey

Crux Live the Abnatural

MathiasJack

So out of curiosity, I think I get who would be Humans and Fae, but what are Breeds?
Mathias the Jack
Trickster, Hero,
Sage Scholar