News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Bunch of random stuff

Started by Jared A. Sorensen, September 07, 2001, 03:51:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jared A. Sorensen

It's my berfday and I'm home from lunch, listening to Devin Townsend's new album (www.hevydevy.com).

Thing One:
Roll 3d10, looking for the highest number.

Level one
Odd denotes success, Even denotes failure.

Level two
The higher the value, the higher the level of success or failure.

Level three
Rolling two or three of the same highest number is a special thing (good or bad, depending on the even/oddness of the roll).

Level four
Rolling a 0 counts as a null die. The die doesn't count and you gain a "pip." Pips can be cashed in to increase or decrease a die roll. IE: I roll 1, 4, 5. I have 3 pips. I spend one to turn the 4 into a 5, giving me a double, mid-range success. I could also spend two pips to turn the 5 into a 7...a higher level of success.

Thing Two:
"Variable damage" is what I call this thing. Damage = penalties to future die rolls. The victim of damage can choose how to apply the damage. Example: I suffer damage of 5. I can take a -5 penalty to my next action or -1 to my next five actions...or something along those lines (one at -3, the next at -2). I plan to use this in a cartoon RPG.

Thing Three:
Inspired from a Howard Waldrop story called Man Mountain Gentian...zen sumo wrestlers who fight using TK rather than physical might. Combat (ahem) is handled via psychic abilities. The longer you concentrate, the more power you can put behind a "move" but the more strain you suffer. A powerful sumotori could whale on a weak opponent in a second flat while two experienced wrestlers would endure a test of wills...building up their powers and waiting for the moment to strike.

That's all folks.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

joshua neff

Jared--

'Appy Birfday, my son. Congrats & all that. Have some sushi on me.
--josh

"You can't ignore a rain of toads!"--Mike Holmes

Ron Edwards

Hi Jared,

Tuesday was my birthday. It was Clinton's too.

Thing One has too much friggin' record-keeping.

Best,
Ron

Jared A. Sorensen

Happy friggin' birthday to you and Clinton! We're all old! We suck!
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Zak Arntson

It's my berfday and I'm home from lunch, listening to Devin Townsend's new album (www.hevydevy.com).

Haffy Berfday!

Thing One:
Roll 3d10, looking for the highest number.

Level one
Odd denotes success, Even denotes failure.

I don't like odd/even splits because I don't think that it's easy to discern quickly.  This goes way back to the computational speed algorithm garbage posted a long time ago.  I would contend that picking out numbers from a set  (even if it's easy like odds & evens) is harder than a comparison

Level two
The higher the value, the higher the level of success or failure.

Combine this with Level one, and things take a little longer ...

Level three
Rolling two or three of the same highest number is a special thing (good or bad, depending on the even/oddness of the roll).

Longer still.

Level four
Rolling a 0 counts as a null die. The die doesn't count and you gain a "pip." Pips can be cashed in to increase or decrease a die roll. IE: I roll 1, 4, 5. I have 3 pips. I spend one to turn the 4 into a 5, giving me a double, mid-range success. I could also spend two pips to turn the 5 into a 7...a higher level of success.

This is where I think you'll have highest handling time.  I like the idea of "pips", but I think using them to do addition makes things take too long, especially in conjunction with the other levels.

Thing Two:
"Variable damage" is what I call this thing. Damage = penalties to future die rolls. The victim of damage can choose how to apply the damage. Example: I suffer damage of 5. I can take a -5 penalty to my next action or -1 to my next five actions...or something along those lines (one at -3, the next at -2). I plan to use this in a cartoon RPG.

I like this, though I'd suggest it be used in-game as a sort of token (instead of value) mechanic.  So you get Damage Tokens that you must spend.  Say, you are required to spend at least one Damage Token every roll, and each Token applies a negative effect.  This way, you could take a gamble and spend lots of Tokens to get better, or be cautious but suffer for longer.

Thing Three:
... The longer you concentrate, the more power you can put behind a "move" but the more strain you suffer. A powerful sumotori could whale on a weak opponent in a second flat while two experienced wrestlers would endure a test of wills...building up their powers and waiting for the moment to strike.

I came up with a mechanic like this ... each turn the loser can opt to spend from a pool and reroll.  Each reroll fills up a "consequence pot".  The better you are, the bigger your pool.  And the pot represents how much either person is willing to risk.

hardcoremoose

I'm just here to say Happy Birthday.  

And happy belated B-day to Clinton and Ron!

Be safe guys!

Moose