News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Why should I split my combat pool?

Started by Balbinus, May 20, 2003, 11:21:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Balbinus

Hi all,

A remarkably simple question here, and one I imagine there is a very simple answer to.

Let's say I have a 13 dice combat pool, my opponent has a 12 dice combat pool.  I strike first having initiative.

Why shouldn't I put all 13 dice into attack leaving nothing for parrying etc.?

If he splits his pool he'll probably only have six or seven dice defending against my 13.  I'll hit and most likely take him out before he even gets to strike at me.

Except that can't be right and I strongly suspect I've either misread this element of the rules or misunderstood it.  Anyone care to enlighten me?
AKA max

gmouser

I think if he makes a parry with 9-10 dice he should have a good probability of success and in the second exchange you're dead meat cause you haven't dice left.

Grey Mouser

toli

It also depends a lot on the weapons and armor of your opponent and your self.  If your opponent is well armored and has good defensive weapons, he has a good chance of not being hurt.  Then you're in trouble, unless your in full plate....in which case I say hack away....
NT

Ron Edwards

Hi Max,

Check out the All dice on offense! thread for lots o' discussion about this issue.

Best,
Ron

Balbinus

Quote from: Ron EdwardsHi Max,

Check out the All dice on offense! thread for lots o' discussion about this issue.

Best,
Ron

That's very helpful Ron, thanks.
AKA max

Bankuei

Hi Max,

Its definitely a tempting manuever, for sure.  There's a couple of things that stop it from being the "all the time, best move"...

-Friends, if he's got'em, you might be in for a surprise on the second exchange!
-Full evasion!  If he can evade, he might buy time until friends come, or he can lead you to bad terrain and get you to use up some of your pool.
-Counter!  If he's close or higher than you in CP, this option opens up, and that means if he successfully counters, he gets 13 dice to hit you back with!

I'm sure there's plenty more, but those few come immediately to mind.

Chris

Jake Norwood

Yeah. I do this all the time. One of the problemshowever is that you don't know how many dice he's got, even if you're a few exchanges in. I always try to not use a few dice every round to deceive my opponent into thinking I have, say, 12 dice when I've really got 15.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

Bomilkar

Yesterday, I had a rather similar situation and found out that it can become rather messy for the attacker when the defender uses a counter with all dice (+all luck SP, if available). Sure you loose two dice for activation and have to trust your luck in parrying the attack, but if you manage to parry, all the attacker's successes suddenly become dice for your next attack while he has none left to counter it. Too late does the attacker realise then that too much momentum has its own risks, and if he survives to fight another day he will be more ware of overcomitting himself.
Battle? There is always a desire for breathing space motivating it somewhere.
The Bashar Teg

Balbinus

Counter is a killer, I hadn't thought that through properly.

One guy gets lucky with a counter and it's sayonara if you employ this technique regularly.

Thanks for all the feedback folks.
AKA max

Jake Norwood

The counter is by far my favorite technique in TROS.

Jake
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing." -R.E. Howard The Tower of the Elephant

arxhon

Counters are very good. One of my players uses them quite a lot.

The only time i haven't seen a counter really work well is when a defending character puts a pile of dice into the maneuver, succeeds with a bunch and his attacking opponent only achieves one or two successes.

Salamander

Quote from: Jake NorwoodThe counter is by far my favorite technique in TROS.

Jake

German School, eh Jake?
"Don't fight your opponent's sword, fight your opponent. For as you fight my sword, I shall fight you. My sword shall be nicked, your body shall be peirced through and I shall have a new sword".

Jake Norwood

Quote from: Salamander

German School, eh Jake?

To the bone, man. I read the Itallian stuff to get an idea of what's out there, but I'm really a German fighter at heart.

Jake

Tywin Lannister

QuoteOne of the problemshowever is that you don't know how many dice he's got, even if you're a few exchanges in.

So you, as the Seneschal, hide the Non Player Character combat pool(s) from the players? Isn't this difficult?
The trees bend their boughs towards the earth and nighttime birds float as black faces.

Jake Norwood

Difficult? Not at all. I use a screen or keep the bowl behind the table, but I only do this if the fight is important or if I have something up my sleeve (or I want the players thinking I do). Then just the fact that it's hidden has them playing careful.

Jake