News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Promoter's Handbook Cover

Started by Matt Gwinn, May 26, 2003, 05:05:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Gwinn

I put together a potential cover for the Promoter's Handbook.
I'm interested in hearing what people think of it.

You can look at it HERE

,Matt[/url]
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Mike Holmes

I like the picture; perfect content.

But the lettering seems kinda cheesy. That could definitely stand some work, IMO. Seems just tacked on with photoshop or something.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Jared A. Sorensen

Not too into the cover.

See, Kayfabe had that great pic of the wrasslers...uh, wrasslin'. The Booker's handbook should have wrasslin' promoters on the cover. I dunno, some skeezy-looking fat guy with a cigar counting out scrilla to some corn-fed farmboy in tights.
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

Gene Pool

I don't know what everyone's problem with the cover is. Personally I think it has class. The old Kayfabe cover was good, but this is a tad more professional looking. Or maybe I'm just rambling. Who knows.

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Gene PoolI don't know what everyone's problem with the cover is. Personally I think it has class. The old Kayfabe cover was good, but this is a tad more professional looking. Or maybe I'm just rambling. Who knows.

<copy image>
<paste>
<filter/artistic/cutout>

I mean, it's fine but...hey, this is an aesthetic thing. Me? I don't dig it. Like I said: fat guy, cigar, money, naive wrassler...that would kick ass. The cover Matt posted shows...a wrestling ring.

An empty wrestling ring.

Hmmm.

- J

Mike Holmes

Quote from: Jared A. SorensenAn empty wrestling ring.
Right. A ring waiting to be filled by the promoter. What the backstage people see before the show.

Leaves me with that feeling that you get when you hear the song "stay" by Jackson Browne, the feeling of the loneliness of the stage before and after the show.

So, the aesthetics worked for me. That said, I agree with the quality as a little amaturish. Mostly with the lettering, however, as I said above.

Mike

Matt Gwinn

Thanks for the input guys.
I agree with both Mike and Jared.

The text does look cheesy, but I do like the picture of the ring.

It probably would look better with some action.

Problem is that I'm not an artist, and I can't afford to pay an artist for a cover for a PDF I plan to sell for $3 to less than 100 people.  I did the text in illustrator and was having some trouble getting any of the cool shadeing and stuff to work with the black background.  The background picture is a digital photo I took last time I went to a wrestling event.  I removed all the trademarked stuff and sent the whole thing through a Photoshop filter and walla, instant art.  I didn't have much in the line of action shots though, and the ones I do have didn't look very clear after I ran then through the filter.
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Paul Czege

The background picture is a digital photo I took last time I went to a wrestling event. I removed all the trademarked stuff and sent the whole thing through a Photoshop filter and walla, instant art.

So, put on a pair of long-johns and a tank top. Have Scott sit on the other side of a desk with a wad of money in his hand, smoking a cheap cigar. Janet takes the picture, and you give it the same Photoshop treatment.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Mike Holmes

LOL.

Reverse Scott and Matt.

Jared A. Sorensen

Actually, if you could get a pic of guys setting up the ring, that would rock.