News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

Religion in Game Design

Started by Michael Hopcroft, June 15, 2003, 05:22:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Hopcroft

This may seem like an impertinent question, but do any of you who design games find that your personal beliefs affect what you design?

I'm a farily recent convert to the Church of jesus Christ and latter-Day Saints (aka the Mormons).  We're talking a little over two years in the Church. Anyway, I try not to prosletyze when i write, because that would be rude to my readers, most of whom are not LDS. Yet I keep finding allegories to my own spiritual struggles creeping into what i write.

When I wrote the Ghost Tamer Miyaki setting for HeartQuest, for example, I didn's realize until llater how allegorical it was. The main adversary is a Demon King whose goal is to extinguish Hope from the human heart. The heroine has the power to "tame" the Troubled Dead and send them to their next lives in peace. Since I was working in anime.manga, I had to use the Eastern concept of reincarnation rather than the LDS concept of the Spirit World, but the point is still there. Miyaki is forgiving those souls that could not be forgiven during their time on Earth. This is a central Mormon precept -- that even after death, the dead still have a chance to be redeemed through the efforts of the faithful.

In the new book I'm working on now, the enemy lives in a world without even the concept of joy or pleasure. They see Earth, where people can be happy, and out of sheer jealousy they seek to destory it. One of the enemy leaders defects, however, goes to Earth and organizes resistance. In the LDS faith, we think of Satan (or, as we refer tpo him, The Adversary) as a spirit that cannot know love, joy or happiness and so seeks to destroy it on Earth. His motivation is, again, jealousy over what he cannot experience himself. The story is transplanted to Japan and the actual events do not follow theology, but the allegory, however unintentional, remains.

Maybe it's because the ideas resonate so powerfully to me. Surely it's subconscious prompting. It might even be spiritual prompting. What I'd like to know is whether the religion (or lack thereof) of an RPG's creator will usually affect its content. I'd be especially interested to hear the opinion of the designers of heavily occult games such as Sorcerer and Little Fears. I'm also curious about what part personal belief (religious, philosophical, political or otherwise) plays in the creative process of RPG designers.
Michael Hopcroft Press: Where you go when you want something unique!
http:/www.mphpress.com

Jack Spencer Jr

Look at a three-pronged outlet. Do you see a face? Do the three holes arrange to make  two eyes and a mouth? Fact is, it's not a face, is it?

I see two things going on here, Michael and you needn't worry about any of them.

First is you are in this religion and you will see things from that angle. You will see thing in your work and the work of others that seem to support or directly contridict your religious worldview. This happen, but often you may be seeing a face in an outlet.

The other, and more profound point is that you are who you are. You know what you know. from the overflow of your heart and mind come your truest artistic expressions. People can speak at length about what they know but when it's something they don't, they have to fake it. We people fake it, it's usually pretty obvious. (e.g. note how several scene in the Dungeons & Dragons movie were recognizeably from other films [Indiana Jones, etc] The scriptwriters knew little or nothing about D&D and watched a bunch of movies to try to figure out what the script should be. They faked it and everyone knew they did)

I can understand not wanting to preach to people. I personally find using a published RPG as a conversion tool to be suspect. (I think religion is a very personal thing and I find it highly unlikely that someone would gain religion from a pamphlet) But the RPG you designed is designed by you and this is also part of who you are and what you express when designing a game.

So don't worry about putting your religious values into the subtext of your games. It winds up there because it feels natural to you and as you gain a following it will feel natural to your fans.

Whatever you do, don't fake it.

Michael Hopcroft

Quote from: Jack Spencer JrThe other, and more profound point is that you are who you are. You know what you know. from the overflow of your heart and mind come your truest artistic expressions. People can speak at length about what they know but when it's something they don't, they have to fake it. We people fake it, it's usually pretty obvious. (e.g. note how several scene in the Dungeons & Dragons movie were recognizeably from other films [Indiana Jones, etc] The scriptwriters knew little or nothing about D&D and watched a bunch of movies to try to figure out what the script should be. They faked it and everyone knew they did)

I can understand not wanting to preach to people. I personally find using a published RPG as a conversion tool to be suspect. (I think religion is a very personal thing and I find it highly unlikely that someone would gain religion from a pamphlet) But the RPG you designed is designed by you and this is also part of who you are and what you express when designing a game.

So don't worry about putting your religious values into the subtext of your games. It winds up there because it feels natural to you and as you gain a following it will feel natural to your fans.

Whatever you do, don't fake it.

The only problem with this, which isn;t rally a problem so much as an observation, is that the genre I work with has Chrsitianity of any sort as an allien, exotic context. Many Japanese view committed Christoians as foreign 9even if they're Japanese) and even somewhat sinister. And Mormons are rare in themanga business.

In fact, Mormon missionaries visiting Japan often have a hard time fitting in. One of the first thing the typical japanese housewife will do when recieving visitors is offer them a cup of tea. Imagine their surprise when they discover the missionaries don't drink tea because itt's against the religion they are trying to discuss!

In my case, I have the dual task of being true to one of the most alien cultures on Earth (to Western eyes) while also being true to myself. I think I balance it pretty well and HeartQuest reflects this.  My key theme, which seems to reflect itself in my work, is my essential belief in the human spirit no matter what guises it takes. It seems the only thing I can;t apply that to is belief in myself and my own abilities. I can believe in others, and encourage them, but I have a hard time believing in myself.

But I ramble on a bit too much. And my self-doubt is not particularly relevant to the question at hand for this topic, which is how personal belief affects game design.

Jack Spencer Jr

I believe there are some truths that are universal or cross-cultural. It also sound like you've done your homework on Japanese culture. Speak from your knowledge on it. That's my best advise.

lumpley

Quote from: MichaelWhat I'd like to know is whether the religion (or lack thereof) of an RPG's creator will usually affect its content. I'd be especially interested to hear the opinion of the designers of heavily occult games such as Sorcerer and Little Fears. I'm also curious about what part personal belief (religious, philosophical, political or otherwise) plays in the creative process of RPG designers.
The easy answer is we write what kicks our butts.  Some game designers' butts are kicked by religion, so that's what their games are about.  As it should be.

My games?  Like oh I dunno for instance kill puppies for satan?  In real life, I don't think that Satan exists.  I don't think that anybody gets the power to light things on fire or move sewage telekinetically by sacrificing animals to him.  I don't think that there are really vampires, werewolves, vigilantes, sorcerers, heroes, zombies, normal people, space aliens, religious fanatics, scientists, demons, or anybody else in the big kill puppies for satan freak show.  So as far as all that goes, no, it's just made up.

But yeah the game expresses things that I think are actually true, same as all my games.  Decode it, swap people, their institutions and their ways of thinking in for Satan and God, and it lays out some of my beliefs pretty clearly.  And also yeah, in ways I think it's even a teaching tool, a Chick tract.  People read the bit where I say that having a sense of humor is a way to deal with being wrong, weak and stupid, so Satan has one but God doesn't, and they send me email saying "I never thought of it that way, but you know?  You're right."  I consider that a success.

On one of my back burners there's a game about Mormonism, as it happens.  It's resentful and very mean, but it reflects my experiences.  It has an extreeeeemely limited potential audience, like pretty much just me myself, but I can't let it go.

In fact -- let me go back to us writing what kicks our butts --  I think that it's the kernel of truth in a game that inspires us to write it, and then inspires our audience to read and play it.  It's an indictment of the industry that so many games are so calculatedly devoid of religious, political, social commentary.  I say, let's comment!  What we write should have a point!

-Vincent

jdagna

I think the beliefs of a writer come out somewhere and in some form no matter what they do.  Whether or not it's significant enough to matter to other people is questionable.  I think many people latch onto their favorite games because they agree with some of the subtext inserted (consciously or not) by the author.

Regarding manga specifically: I have a friend who works as an editor for TokyoPop (US manga publisher) who has told me about debates on Manga and how some people swear that the only "true" Manga is produced by people who live in and grew up in Japan.  An American who lives there now, or who grew up reading manga, isn't capable of producing "true" manga in the eyes of those people.  When it comes to those people, you're already dead in the water, Michael.

But I think the issues you're exploring are not specifically Mormon, or even Christian or Western.  The concept of evil powers attempting to extinguish hope is a human one.  I can't imagine any culture having trouble relating to that one (even if they might choose a slightly different method for expressing it).

Furthermore, you're writing for an English-speaking audience.  They might actually appreciate some deep and partly-obscured Western ideas in the material, since they'll relate to that.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

damion

I think your right that your beliefs effect what you write.  It's commonly known to to be true for writers, I don't see why RPG's would be much different. My question would be,

'Why is this a problem?'

I don't think even prosletizing in a game is really wrong, although you have to accept that it may restrict your potential audiance some what. Another thing is:

n the new book I'm working on now, the enemy lives in a world without even the concept of joy or pleasure. They see Earth, where people can be happy, and out of sheer jealousy they seek to destory it. One of the enemy leaders defects, however, goes to Earth and organizes resistance. In the LDS faith, we think of Satan (or, as we refer tpo him, The Adversary) as a spirit that cannot know love, joy or happiness and so seeks to destroy it on Earth. His motivation is, again, jealousy over what he cannot experience himself. The story is transplanted to Japan and the actual events do not follow theology, but the allegory, however unintentional, remains.

At least from what you said, this sound like an allegory, that while it may resonate with mormanism, has elements in common with alot of other mythologies also.  Personally, I think there is some common part of our brain that we use to some up with mythologies, literature, ect, which is why alot of writers draw on mythology for inspiration.  I don't see trying to tap into this with a game as a bad thing.

I would be interested in a case where someone converted between religions, had a strong belief in each and the impact upon their games.  All the people I know who have changed religions have not had strong feelings for one of them though.
James

Michael Hopcroft

Quote from: jdagnaI think the beliefs of a writer come out somewhere and in some form no matter what they do.  Whether or not it's significant enough to matter to other people is questionable.  I think many people latch onto their favorite games because they agree with some of the subtext inserted (consciously or not) by the author.

Regarding manga specifically: I have a friend who works as an editor for TokyoPop (US manga publisher) who has told me about debates on Manga and how some people swear that the only "true" Manga is produced by people who live in and grew up in Japan.  An American who lives there now, or who grew up reading manga, isn't capable of producing "true" manga in the eyes of those people.  When it comes to those people, you're already dead in the water, Michael.

Then what about all the quality material coming out of Korea? What about  Fred Gallagher, for crying out loud?  And what about the comics my artists are creating both on my behalf and on their own? They may not be "true manga", but the influence is there and they are still entertaining.

QuoteBut I think the issues you're exploring are not specifically Mormon, or even Christian or Western.  The concept of evil powers attempting to extinguish hope is a human one.  I can't imagine any culture having trouble relating to that one (even if they might choose a slightly different method for expressing it).

Furthermore, you're writing for an English-speaking audience.  They might actually appreciate some deep and partly-obscured Western ideas in the material, since they'll relate to that.

But the purists in my audience, if they detect the slightest hint of a Western influence, will go berserk. Some people won't accept me unless I start pacriticing Shinto instead. which would not be a good thing for my spirit.

American anime fans have faced this conundrum for decades. It's nothing new. Some people think shows like Slayers are too Western.[/quote]

Christopher Kubasik

Hi Michael,

If I may.

I don't think you really have a choice in this matter.  

You're allowing yourself a chance to dither when you could be working.  I don't mean this as an attack on you.  I've done it myself.  I might be wrong, but I think I recognize the symptoms.  

The truth is this: you're going to write what you're going to write.  You'll either do it for the right reasons or the wrong.  You'll either write from your instincts, or write to appease what you think other people think is right.  You'll sell it as hard as you can or you won't.  People will respond to it or not.

C.S Lewis wrote the Chronicles of Narnia.  And I know a good three dozen people who loved the books as children... And then got all angry and pissed when they realized years later he was a devout Christian.  They didn't want a Christian allegory.  They wanted a great story.

Well, they got both.  That their getting upset says something interesting... But I've never been able to figure out what.

What's clear though is the Lewis wrote from his faith and his truth (and the strange place where these two things didn't line up exactly right) and people responded to it.  Different people responded in different ways for different reasons.

How people responded wasn't his business.  His job was to get it down on paper.

You can do the same.

Do it.

Sincerely,

Christopher
"Can't we for once just do what we're supposed to do -- and then stop?
Lemonhead, The Shield

greyorm

Quote from: damionI would be interested in a case where someone converted between religions, had a strong belief in each and the impact upon their games.  All the people I know who have changed religions have not had strong feelings for one of them though.
I was a very devout Christian for many years -- and I mean of the Bible-thumping, sinner-judging, saved-by-Jesus sort -- before I came home to Wicca/Paganism.

I'm not sure conversion has had a strong impact on writing my games, specifically -- but it has changed my play style and the elements I used to include in my early games/worlds/stories, mostly hinging around the introduction of monotheism and Christianity knockoffs to standard fantasy.

I still play with the concept of monotheistic faiths, but they're no longer so blunt and designed to be "acknowledged as truth" (if anyone understands what I mean). Also, I feel I can write with more conscious regard for the beliefs and traditions of other cultures, without so much of my own personal beliefs or judgement creeping in now.

Honestly, the theory at the Forge has altered my writing for games much more than my religious choices.
Rev. Ravenscrye Grey Daegmorgan
Wild Hunt Studio

Jared A. Sorensen

Quote from: Michael HopcroftThen what about all the quality material coming out of Korea? What about  Fred Gallagher, for crying out loud?  

Yeah, man! What about Fred Gallagher? Jesus Christ! (no pun intended)

I mean, really! Some people.

- J
jared a. sorensen / www.memento-mori.com

jdagna

Michael, it sounds to me like you're trying to please everyone all at once.    The purists are willing to rule you out of "true manga" based on your birth certificate.  It doesn't matter whether this is fair, logical or anything else.  But you insist on trying to please them, even though they apparently can't be pleased.  It sounds like a recipe for disaster.

I don't know how big an audience the purists are, since I'm only marginally interested in manga or anime.  I suspect they're small (purists usually are) and that you'd be better off catering to a more appreciative market segment, especially seeing as your own inclinations tend in that direction.
Justin Dagna
President, Technicraft Design.  Creator, Pax Draconis
http://www.paxdraconis.com

simon_hibbs

Quote from: Michael HopcroftThis may seem like an impertinent question, but do any of you who design games find that your personal beliefs affect what you design?

This depends on the way in which I approach designing the game.

If I am designing a genre game, perhaps there is less scope for my personal religious beliefs to emerge, because I am deliberately picking up the genre conventions and using those as my 'reality rules'. I think this is true of others too. For example a CoC is a game set in a nihilistic universe in which cosmic horrors beyond human comprehension are rpogressively destroying everything humans hold dear. The fact that the game designer is a mormon doesn't seem very apparent in the game design, and there's no reason why it should. He was basing his work on the mythos stories, not his personal religious beliefs.

On the other hand, I might very well choose to design a game in order to explore themes or conflicts that I feel very personaly, and may well be influenced by my own beliefs or speculations, be they social, scientific, religious, artistic or whatever.

Simon Hibbs
Simon Hibbs