News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GENCON 2003 - FINAL ORGANIZATION

Started by Ron Edwards, June 30, 2003, 03:37:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jürgen Mayer

Due to some misunderstandings concerning hotel reservations at GenCon, I am now in the situation that my plane will arrive at tuesday, but I won't have a place to stay until wednesday.

I understand that most of you won't be arriving before wednesday, but if you do, or know someone who does, and who'd maybe be willing to share the hotel room tuesday night, it would be nice if you drop me an email at this_email_address_sucks@disastermachine.com or PM me.

Thanx,
Jürgen
Jürgen Mayer
Disaster Machine Productions
http://disastermachine.com

ross_winn

Ross Winn
ross_winn@mac.com
"not just another ugly face..."

Luke

Hello Ron et Omnes,

By way of confirmation, BW will be at the Forge booth this year. I will be running melee demos and all that stuff. I'll be bringing a BW banner and a bunch of BW signs as well.

Also, I am bringing my friend Drozdal with me to help run BW demos. I sent along the $55 to Ron for the badge a couple of months ago.

Drozdal and I would love to crash out on the floor of one of the Forge rooms. (I also mentioned this about a month ago, if that matters.)

We are arriving in Indy Friday at 930am.

Let me know if there are any problems.

-L

btrc

Will anyone be bringing along a computer of any kind that has a tray-loading CD burner? I've got a laptop sans CD, and CD burner in my desktop, but they just don't make external burners for *my* laptop anymore (an old Mac Duo 2300c).

I'll be selling only pdfs, but I have custom blank CD's so I can "burn to order" anything that someone wants. If I can get something to burn them with.

Greg Porter
BTRC
btrc@btrc.net

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

In reference to Greg's point, don't forget that the booth does not include power outlets, so all computer-type people need to load up their batteries and pay attention to their power demands.

Best,
Ron

Matt Gwinn

QuoteIn reference to Greg's point, don't forget that the booth does not include power outlets, so all computer-type people need to load up their batteries and pay attention to their power demands.

Are you sure Ron? THe map at the GENCON site shows that out booth has an outlet. It could, of course, be labeled wrong.

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Ron Edwards

H'm! I was under the impression that we have to pay for electricals. But I'll check.

Also, the current hotel room situation is looking pretty full. Some people have emailed me to add them (or rather, to remind me about it). So if you are looking for or counting on a room, are not listed above, and haven't contacted me recently, then get in touch pronto.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Luke,

We are arriving in Indy Friday at 930am.

The $100 you paid was for the full four days. If you're local to anyone you know who's going to be at the convention on Thursday, you should have them bring six or eight copies of your game to the booth...and tell us how much to sell them for.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Matt Gwinn

What's the current plan for signs?

Who is officially doing them?

What size pics do you need?

Where do we send them?

Do you need cover art or graphics?

Will all the signs be the same or just thrown together based on what you were sent?

What about companies that have more than one game for sale or more than one designer?  Do they get more than one sign or one really cluttered one?

Where will they be hung?  back wall? the stand?

What's the deadline for getting pics to the right person?

Just some thoughts.

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Paul's Girl

Hi everyone,

To answer and inform:

Matt, we do have a floorplan based loosely on the dimensions of the booth. It can be modified to fit our needs of course. It is going to be more open than last year and I think it will work out well.

Signs or mini posters- as Nathan and Matt have said, I was suggesting smaller posters for all games for sale or free. I had posted a deadline of July 4 but didn't receive any information regarding them from anyone. The basic idea of the sign is to be 11" by 17" with an author photo, game cover or text and subtitle. An example was posted in the eariler booth thread started by myself. Michael S. Miller created a great poster for FVLMINATA and I will ask Paul to set it to his website site and post a link for an example. A designer doesn't have to be present to have a sign! (hint hint Matt Snyder) I wanted a cohesive display of the signs for all the games to be attached to the rear wall of the booth (I've got the 'how' covered).  Nathan and I have both volunteered to print signs out.  I don't see a problem with one sign per game

I did want to create a blank spreadsheet that we can use to tally the sales, but I either need to know 1) bare minimum, how many games for sale OR 2) the name of each game and author.

Also, the final and biggest news!!! The banner and stickers are being shipped and I expect to receive them tomorrow. The cost with other various office supplies will be about $300. I have set up a PayPal account and as soon as I figure out how to use it, I will be asking for donations.
A haiku inspired by Gen Con 2002:

Oh, Great Bowl of dice
Unearth the die of my dreams
Wicked 12 sider

-D

Mike Holmes

This all sounds great. But I'm still worried about ambiance. That is, what are we doing to get to that "coffee house" feel that we keep talking about? Or has that been abandoned entirely? As I have it right now, we have the stock furniture, and some signage. Is that the entirity of the plan at this point?

If someone has some ideas about what we can do at this point, I'm here to volunteer to help.

Mike
Member of Indie Netgaming
-Get your indie game fix online.

Paul Czege

Hey Mike,

As I have it right now, we have the stock furniture, and some signage....

Just last evening I completed carpentry on a three-sided kiosk style game display unit. It is 5'8" tall, sized to fit the bed of my truck. Each side is 32" wide, with three 15" tall, but shallow shelves on which games are displayed face out. The sides are connected with small door hinges, with removable pins for flat transportation of the unit. It will sit near the leading edge of of the booth. Designers will congregate about it, interacting with the crowd. I'll be applying stain and polyurethane between now and GenCon, and constructing individual "Indie RPGs" signs that will attach to the top of each side.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Paul's Girl

I have received the banner. Paul has posted the image on his website:

http://www.halfmeme.com/banner.jpg

And here are the stickers:

http://www.halfmeme.com/FORGE_Labels.jpg

And here is another example of the sign or mini poster that Michael S. Miller created for FVLMINATA:

http://www.halfmeme.com/FVLSIGNL.JPG

More later!
A haiku inspired by Gen Con 2002:

Oh, Great Bowl of dice
Unearth the die of my dreams
Wicked 12 sider

-D

Luke

nice work all around.

how big is that banner?

-L

Matt Wilson

How hard would it be to update the cafepress site with a t-shirt with that design on it? I'll happily order a couple to wear at the show.

For that matter, who's gonna be at the booth selling that has logo shirts available? My stuff won't be ready, so I'm happy to be a billboard for other people.

Send me a PM, and tell me where I can buy one.