News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

GenCon: Parasite Games After Hours

Started by Matt Wilson, July 17, 2003, 11:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Wilson

Jeff and I both have games in progress, which we'd like the opportunity to share with any and all GenCon goers some evening after the show.

The idea is we'd run maybe hour-long demos of our games in our hotel room, and fill our bathtub with beverages for people crazy enough to try the games out. Forge-goers are especially welcome, as there's a good chance that something you said shaped the design of one of these games.

Jeff will demo his new game, Blackbirds, a pirates game full of swag and voodoo.

I'll demo Primetime Adventures, a game of melodramatic TV action.

We haven't picked an evening yet, but it'd probably be a 1-2 hour thing that'd leave eough time for you to get out to do some karaoke and play some other games.

Valamir

Ima sucker for pirates, and Blackbird has sounded pretty cool.  I imagine there's going to be about a billion things going on after hours at GenCon, but hopefully we can hook up.

Paul Czege

Did someone say voodoo? Count me in.

Paul
My Life with Master knows codependence.
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Paul CzegeDid someone say voodoo? Count me in.

Bonus points for the player who brings me  the shrunken head of Johnny Depp ;)

-jeffrey-

Paul Czege

Jeff,

Bonus points for the player who brings me the shrunken head of Johnny Depp ;)

Unobtainable. Instead I'll be bringing Jack White's semi-decomposed finger, with all its unearthly creativity still intact.

Paul
And if you're doing anything with your Acts of Evil ashcan license, of course I'm curious and would love to hear about your plans

Ron Edwards

Hi there,

Matt, you're describing what we do almost every night at the big cons, in the hotel rooms. Last year the rooms resounded to wild games all night long ...

This year, I'm bringing demo material for Otherkind, Violence Future, Wuthering Heights, InSpectres, My Life with Master, and a few others, in addition to my own games.

Best,
Ron

Paul Czege

Hey Jeff...

If you want to nail down Blackbirds plans for a specific evening, I'm all for it. Thursday? Friday? As Ron says, opportunities for after-hours gaming have been known to arise and sweep folks up; if there's something you really want make sure doesn't get edged out, it's not a bad idea to make plans.

Paul

Jeffrey Miller

Quote from: Paul CzegeHey Jeff...

If you want to nail down Blackbirds plans for a specific evening, I'm all for it. Thursday? Friday?

We're planning on Friday night being optimal;  can we mark you down for a chair at the table, and your choice of pegleg, eyepatch, or hook?

-j-

Matt Wilson

Quote from: Ron Edwards
Matt, you're describing what we do almost every night at the big cons, in the hotel rooms. Last year the rooms resounded to wild games all night long ...

Excellent. Since neither of our games is ready to sell in the booth, we wanted to have some sort of "sharing our stuff" opportunity. And hopefully I'll have that opportunity as a player as well.

Paul, Ralph: Jeff and I are thinking Friday evening post prandial.

Matt Gwinn

Is there any way we could "organize" after hours gaming at the con?  

In the past at least a few of us went home disapointed that we didn't get the chance to game with certain people.  Having everyone gather in Ron's room then split up seemed kind of awkward.  Maybe it's because I got stuck playing card games with the stragglers (people not quick enough to join a game) when I would have rather been gaming.

Maybe we could have sign up sheets at the booth or something.

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com

Gordon C. Landis

Pirates - har, now that's some fun!  Now, where'd I put that shrunken monkey head . . . ?  

I'm all in favor of organizing after-hours stuff, best as we can, but it's worth acknowledging the likleyhood that some of it will end up a wildly disorganized but hopefully incredibly fun muddle.

Last year, I think a big issue was too few game-runners, and the mere existence of this thread argues we'll be better off this time round.  With any luck, I'll even have something I can run in playtest mode myself.

Looking forward to seeing y'all,

Gordon
www.snap-game.com (under construction)

Paul Czege

Hey Jeff,

We're planning on Friday night being optimal; can we mark you down for a chair at the table, and your choice of pegleg, eyepatch, or hook?

Yes, Friday is perfect. Count me in.

My girlfriend Danielle is an accomplished gamer, who's run Wuthering Heights, and played The Pool, SOAP, and Sorcerer, to name just a few. Do you have room in the game for her as well?

Paul

Matt Wilson

Both Paul and Paul's Girl are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

If PTA doesn't pique enough people's interests, I'll be standing by to run a second game of Blackbirds. We'll be flexible.

And what Gordon said! An inconspicuous sign-up somewhere in the booth would be cool. There's heaps of games I'd like to play.

Paul Czege

Both Paul and Paul's Girl are welcome as far as I'm concerned.

Okay...then this is what I have planned for after hours:

WEDNESDAY: Maybe a spontaneous game of something. Maybe just chillin' and talkin'. I'm keeping it open, because I'm not sure how wiped I'll be after the trip, and getting the game display all situated.

THURSDAY: I'm planning to run a playtest of Nicotine Girls for three or four people, hopefully including some I've never gamed with. What I'd like to do for an hour or so before that is maybe casually mentor a group through Master creation and setup for a game of My Life with Master that they could then go on and play through to completion while I turn my attention to Nicotine Girls.

FRIDAY: Blackbirds! I'm looking forward to it. Paul's Girl is too :)

SATURDAY: Danielle and I have a tradition of just the two of us going out for wine and a nice dinner on the Saturday of GenCon. It keeps me sane.

Paul

Matt Gwinn

I am planning to run My LIfe with Master on Friday night for anyone interested.

,Matt Gwinn
Kayfabe: The Inside Wrestling Game
On sale now at
www.errantknightgames.com