News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

It's a dog's life

Started by Simon W, August 13, 2003, 02:45:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon W

Ok guys, I'm looking for more inspiration here.

My free rpg It's a dog's life is basically playable as it stands, but I want to at least double it's size and go for commercial release.

However, I need some ideas. This is where you come in (I hope).

I am particularly interested in new Barks and/or to improve those already there.

Maybe some new roles would be good, if anyone can come up with any that fit the setting.

I could also do with expanding on the background/legends/mythology of the prairie dog world, sticking to a vaguely 'native-american' feel.

Any thoughts on any other part of the game would be welcome.

I already have more critters to go in the book and more detailed adventure ideas. I'm also gathering artwork, but could always do with more.

Get the game here
http://www.geocities.com/simonwashbourne/itsadogslife.html
or here
http://www.rpgnow.com/product_info.php?products_id=1935&

Simon
Beyond Belief Games
The home of Lashings of Ginger Beer
[/url]

Alan

Hi Simon,

After reading It's a Dog's Life, whay I missed most was some indications of what happens in a play session - what the players do, what goals they pursue, etc.  You might also consider expanding the dogs, predators, and other elements in a symbolic way.

Second, you have material about how real-world prairie dogs act and live, but what about your fantasy intelligent kind?  How is their society structured and what do they value?  How does a dog know he's done well?  How does he earn admiration?  How does he attract a mate?

It would be very cool to have a mechanic that tracks dog "honor" and it's effects.

I would aim for prairie dog culture that is distinctly from their point of view,  though it may reflect american indian cultures.  (Since the dogs have long-term colonies, I'd suggest looking at the more settled amerind cultures like the Navaho, Mokawk, or Kwakiutl, rather than plains indians.)

These ideas will also provide a field for expanding roles and barks.
- Alan

A Writer's Blog: http://www.alanbarclay.com

Simon W

Great, thanks for your input Alan. That was the kind of way my mind was working, but couldn't see the wood for the trees. I shall ponder what you have said, along with any more feedback I get.

Simon
Beyond Belief Games
The home of unusual role-playing games

English

Simon;

Very interesting little game!  It reminds me in some ways of the old "Woof Meow" (game a roleplaying dogs and cats) from the late 80s.  I love animal games like that ("Creeks and Crawdads" was another).

- Jesse

Simon W

That's good, because I am nearly through a total re-write. Gone is the 'natural history book' feel and in its place is a world of prairie dog fantasy. I'm a bit stuck in one or two areas, so if I don't solve them, I may be back here seeking help.

Simon
Beyond Belief Games
The home of Lashings of Ginger Beer