News:

Forum changes: Editing of posts has been turned off until further notice.

Main Menu

PDF Archive of Review now Avaialble

Started by Kester Pelagius, August 15, 2003, 02:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

I have uploaded a archive of the unabridged review I wrote (for Nine Worlds) to the files area of my yahoo group.  To get a copy simply follow the link here and go to the "Game Reviews and Articles" section of the files area.

Let me know if you spot any omissions or glaring errors.

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri

Matt Snyder

Looks very good, overall, Kester. Thanks for putting a review together! I have only one quibble. In describing the mechanics, you explain as follows:

QuoteThe central goal here is to match suit cards to appropriate traits with face values being totaled to determine outcomes in conflict, in other words the highest numerical value indicates success.

This isn't quite correct. If I'm reading you right here, you're describing the tie-breaker mechanic, which would indicate success in the case of ties only.

First, players must compare Fate values. Your Fate value is equal to the number of same-suit cards you play plus the current rating of the Urge you're using.

So, if you play 4 diamonds, and have Stasis 3, then your Fate is 7. If that value, 7, beats your opponents, you're successful. If that value ties one or more of your opponents, then you compare the card's face values to break the tie and determine success.

Hope that clarifies things . . . .
Matt Snyder
www.chimera.info

"The future ain't what it used to be."
--Yogi Berra

Kester Pelagius

Greetings,

Quote from: Matt SnyderLooks very good, overall, Kester. Thanks for putting a review together! I have only one quibble. In describing the mechanics, you explain as follows:

QuoteThe central goal here is to match suit cards to appropriate traits with face values being totaled to determine outcomes in conflict, in other words the highest numerical value indicates success.

This isn't quite correct. If I'm reading you right here, you're describing the tie-breaker mechanic, which would indicate success in the case of ties only.

First, players must compare Fate values. Your Fate value is equal to the number of same-suit cards you play plus the current rating of the Urge you're using.

So, if you play 4 diamonds, and have Stasis 3, then your Fate is 7. If that value, 7, beats your opponents, you're successful. If that value ties one or more of your opponents, then you compare the card's face values to break the tie and determine success.

Hope that clarifies things . . . .

Crystal clear.

I was aiming for more of a generic overview designed (hopefully) to give the casual reader a "feel" for the system rather than bogging them down in a concise breakdown of game mechanics.  Seemed like a good idea at the time.  Least that's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;)

But if others feel the omission is a glaring one I can always amend the PDF to better reflect the system in accord with what Mr. Snyder has outlined above.

Otherwise Grog says: "Game good."

Happy Gaming!

Kind Regards,

Kester Pelagius
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis." -Dante Alighieri